robbritton wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 3:36 pm Mine is saying it’ll be shipped eventually, but they don’t know when. Good being in the UK, innit?
Mine said exactly the same thing, and it still does. If you get onto the live chat and persevere with the agent (they're likely to believe the system at first), you'll discover it isn't true. (That's assuming you don't just want to take my word for it, of course.) The listing from which we pre-ordered isn't even there anymore; now it's just those three sellers charging c. $45 (plus tax and UK delivery).
Is this a dodgy release, then?

I’ve ordered plenty from amazon US to the UK and never had an issue - and why would it have sold already and just be private sellers?

The fact it was NTSC only reusing existing art assets is maybe a red flag - surely there would be no benefit to region-locking a dvd release like this in 2024?
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 9:05 am Is this a dodgy release, then?

I’ve ordered plenty from amazon US to the UK and never had an issue - and why would it have sold already and just be private sellers?

The fact it was NTSC only reusing existing art assets is maybe a red flag - surely there would be no benefit to region-locking a dvd release like this in 2024?
Got an email yesterday giving an expected delivery of April 5th to April 10th, so we shall see.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

robbritton wrote: March 24th, 2024, 4:04 am
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 9:05 am Is this a dodgy release, then?

Got an email yesterday giving an expected delivery of April 5th to April 10th, so we shall see.
After all that, I got the email too (and rightly so, if you did). I was about to launch into details about whether I'm going to be able to cancel my other order, but really, that interests no one else. Every live-chat I did came to the conclusion that my original order wouldn't ship... it's all just too ridiculous.

Concerning legitimacy of the item, if there's nothing wrong the quality (as no one has suggested there is), I see no reason to think the release isn't official - just crazy in terms of distribution. Everything Amazon.com recommends off the back of the purchase (80s cartoons and, for some reason, Hallmark mystery movies) is Region 1 encoded, just as every DVD in the few shops round the corner from me that still sell them is Region 2 encoded. That's just standard, isn't it?

I see the original listing is available once again, at the price of $39.99 that showed up within it hours of it becoming available (the fastest of us were able to get it cheaper). That's reassuring. My older posts must look a bit silly now, or at least they will when those overseas orders ship, which I now believe that they will. Honestly, if you (that is, anyone, no one in particular) had participated in those live chats, and you'd wanted to relay helpful information, you'd have posted the same.
I was comparing the first episodes of this new set to the Australian PAL release from a few years back. Most episodes of the US version look blurry.

Unfortunately, the Australian set only included episodes 1 to 13 and, as far as I know, no more sets were released.

Comparison:

US DVD:
PAL DVD:

US DVD:
PAL DVD:
deadderek liked this
A full two weeks after release, and after a period of it being unavailable, my item has finally shipped. I would hope this means other international pre-orders are now being fulfilled.

I didn't pay any attention to the Amazon reviews before the question of quality came up here, but now I see that there are comments about poor quality over there. 'Disappointing but all we got' just about sums up a lot of things these days, really. :-| Opinions of the precise level of poorness vary somewhat, perhaps depending at least partly on the quality of the viewer's TV. It's a half-baked release which has had the minimum effort put into it, just to make a few extra bucks alongside the movie release (comparatively few, anyway - it's massively overpriced for what it is). The blurb (re-used, like the artwork) is written for people who want any old thing that seems to belong in their Ghostbusters collection, mentioning Egon twice, Slimer once, and 'an all-new [nameless] Ghostbusters team' only in the last couple of lines when they hope to have won over the potential buyer (to put the most sceptical spin possible on it :wink:). I don't really like that, but it's not worth getting upset over. All you ever really see of the case anyway is the spine, which blu-ray.com shows me is nice enough.

Meanwhile, my opinion of Amazon customer services has changed somewhat. I still think they're dedicated people who try to help as much as they possibly can. The trouble is that they don't know the answers to anything complicated, which is not their fault - they should have access to the right information and don't - so they might well end up looking for solutions to a problem they don't fully understand. I was reminded, on my last outing there, of a time years ago when I got into a situation of being passed on to more and more agents for something that only needed passing on to some kind of IT department and/or superior decision-maker. Having forgotten all about that, I used the service this time in the hope of getting, and sharing, the kind of answers I'd have liked to see here myself. Ah well, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. :roll:

In the end, I'll be happy to have any full series DVD. It'll look much nicer on my shelf than the bootleg edition, and some episodes might even look a little nicer on my not-super-modern TV. :-P
GabOchoa wrote: March 24th, 2024, 8:10 am I was comparing the first episodes of this new set to the Australian PAL release from a few years back. Most episodes of the US version look blurry.

Unfortunately, the Australian set only included episodes 1 to 13 and, as far as I know, no more sets were released.

Comparison:

US DVD:
PAL DVD:

US DVD:
PAL DVD:
YIKES! Welp I'm skipping this release, likely to be the only release this show ever gets on DVD.
I just wanted a complete series DVD set. I pre-ordered it knowing it would not hold up to the best version, the one that streamed on Hulu from 2016-2021. But I popped the first 2 DVDs in my Blu-ray player today and it's not that bad. It's there if you really pay attention. But if you just want this show on discs, it's better than nothing and voting with your wallet matters. 4 years ago when I was talking to Eric Reich about why it was never released, he told me EGB wasn't released on disc yet because it was believed the show was not profitable. So idk, if sales on this set are good to great, maybe a Blu-ray set will eventually happen. We know they're sitting on a better rez version if you watched the Hulu run.
deadderek liked this
GabOchoa wrote: March 24th, 2024, 8:10 am I was comparing the first episodes of this new set to the Australian PAL release from a few years back. Most episodes of the US version look blurry.

Comparison:

US DVD:
PAL DVD:

US DVD:
PAL DVD:
Thanks for saving me money, I downloaded the versions off spook central instead. They seem to be the same quality.

Strange watching it after playing Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas. Whenever Garret speaks I hear Boone/Myron.
deadderek liked this
Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]