Here's a quick comparison to how they sit in each movie. I've eyeballed what I can based on angles:

GB1: Lowest sitting on frame (LC-1)
GB2: Highest sitting on frame (LC-2)
GBA: Bottom mount in line with N-Filter (LC-1 Style Rothco)
GBFE: Happy medium between all prior mounts (LC-2 Style Rothco ?)

Again, I think if the straps were pulled tighter in the last picture, it would sit were it would usually with the kidney straps around the waist
Yeah it definitely seems to be lower slung, as you say if its not then how come the back top section of the pack which is usually visible from the front now totally obscured by foam? You can even tell looking at your pics that the bottom half of the cyclotron on this new pack is basically sitting in line with the bottom of the frame. That's not the case on your pack and the haslab pack. It seems to be 3 or 4 inches lower overall.
hawkbatsquadron liked this
Dr. Stantz Jr. wrote: November 10th, 2023, 8:08 pm Here's a quick comparison to how they sit in each movie. I've eyeballed what I can based on angles:

GB1: Lowest sitting on frame (LC-1)
GB2: Highest sitting on frame (LC-2)
GBA: Bottom mount in line with N-Filter (LC-1 Style Rothco)
GBFE: Happy medium between all prior mounts (LC-2 Style Rothco ?)

Again, I think if the straps were pulled tighter in the last picture, it would sit were it would usually with the kidney straps around the waist
Your GB2 pic is a semi hero pack, rather than a hero. They didn't change the frames on the hero packs between GB1 and 2.

FE is using a vintage LC2 frame, Rothco etc don't do LC2 frames.
gamera1968 wrote: November 10th, 2023, 1:37 pm Nope, not a fan of all of the newer addons to the pack. It looked busy before, and now it's just "too much". Keeping mine as-is.

And also, why is that proton pack (on the blonde woman) sitting so low on the frame? It should be higher up, at least 3 to 4 inches.
Agree 100%.

The original 1984 proton pack design was actually a very thought out design in terms of symmetry.

The wand on the right had that diagonal line on the pack to give it space (right of the clippard), that whole "section" was balanced by placing the ribbon cable on the left side of the pack, a kind of coke bottle shape. The ION arm protrusion on the left top was to "balance" out the mass of the wand sticking out on the right top and the hose coming out of the left bottom. I believe that's also why the N-Filter is offset to the right.

For me the AF pack was the culmination of that design thinking. Give a little more accent to the ribbon cable using a neon sleeve and slightly fill out the "empty" or anemic area around the clippard with some greeblies. And that's it. They didn't mess with it. They just perfected what was started in 1984.

This FE design takes that base design and just messes with it in a way that they didn't really understand WHY it was drawn up that way by concept artists in 1983.
gamera1968, kman liked this
Seen a few people say these look like modified Hasbro packs they're using for the movie, wonder if there's any truth to that. Suppose it gives them an overall lighter pack vs the weight that one built from scratch usually ends up at. Finding it a bit odd that even with the sheath over the wand barrel there's still a pop mech that's basically become invisible now.
gerard55 wrote: November 11th, 2023, 8:33 pm Seen a few people say these look like modified Hasbro packs they're using for the movie, wonder if there's any truth to that. Suppose it gives them an overall lighter pack vs the weight that one built from scratch usually ends up at. Finding it a bit odd that even with the sheath over the wand barrel there's still a pop mech that's basically become invisible now.
I think they were just saying that because of the wiring around the clippard valve to the booster (because Egon's Afterlife pack had the same detailing). When you see close-ups from the YouTube videos you can see it's real wiring and not the plastic/rubber wiring from the Hasbro packs.
Specter Mitcher liked this
I wouldn't fault Sony in the slightest for using Hasbro packs. Easy to mod, ready to go. No complaints here. After all they were scanned from the original props so any less chance of damage to the original props would be a good thing right?

I mean the reactions I got from Halloween this year over the Hasbro pack were people couldn't tell the difference. so, yeah...Not against them using the Hasbro packs at all. It would be so easy to add real parts to the Hasbro pack as well.I hadn't even modded mine yet and people were like, Holy shit that pack is sweet!
gamera1968 liked this
If the EPA is regulating the Ghostbusters, these may be required safety upgrades? (Speculation based on the Walter Peck rumor) The metal sheath over the wand tip is probably a heat shield for safety. Think 70's car parts? (Trevor's design input?) Of all of the mods, that's the one I like the most besides the low profile Ion Arm.Image

Bottom line: I think Hasbro will be releasing a new pack based on the updated design.Image
Remember kids, I am not a credible source!
Turtuv liked this
I'm not sure how accurate the power cell on thingiverse is with measurements (based on Steffan's plans), but I made an .stl model that should fit snug onto the ribs for the new pack style:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6311180
Last edited by SpaceBallz on November 12th, 2023, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christof liked this
It may just be a production model not a Haslab. but a "Black Series Release" like the Ecto one they released for Ghostbusters Afterlife. ImageThere is demand, and the company wants to make money. This is just pure speculation on my part. I just do this for fun...Image
I think what they may have been trying to go for here is a "ruggedized" version of the proton pack, perhaps to withstand the rigors of slogging through the icy/frozen landscape and homicidal icicles. The extra bumper span at the bottom of the cyclotron and metal barrel shroud, in particular, give off that impression. And the fact it carries on some of the apparent upgrades Egon made make the think those particular additions (those that survived from the Afterlife pack) are there to stay from now on.

I don't dislike it. But I think they did it a little strange. Why the jerry-rigged looking wires that were in the Afterlife pack would remain exposed and vulnerable in a pack that's supposed to be ruggedized is an odd choice. I get that the ribbon cables were always there and fully exposed since GB1, but if this is to be a ruggedized pack, I would think that'd be part of the design changes. I do really appreciate their restraint in not making all sorts of wild changes to the overall aesthetic and design, but like the bottom strut to the bumper, there must have been a way to tastefully cage off at least some of that exposed wiring. Had they done just that small detail, the pack would have come together a lot more.

Also, a weird thought I had...I have trouble imagining how an XLR connector is going to hand the electrical current flowing from cyclotron to wand. My guess is maybe they added that connector to make future Haslab pack releases easier to manufacture (or something).
Waiting for more filament to come in, but I made the new ion arm, power cell, bumper and thrower heat sink side plate for my MK3 Qpack. I actually LOVE the new ion arm and I'm less worried about getting snagged on anything. The new power cell adds a nice splash of color to the pack and the new bumper and side plate are just neat. I'll always love the original pack design, but putting these new mods on my customized pack just feels right. (It already made purists mad by having a twin HGA like IDW's later packs and a light up ring on the N-Filter...)
Rookie99 wrote: November 12th, 2023, 10:15 am I can see them doing another thrower. But another pack? I'm not sure. Hasbro hasn't done variations of Galactus or Sentinels after the original HasLab.
This seems to be an ongoing question, but HasLab will not be making another proton pack.
It was (as most have already seem to have forgotten since it was announced in October, 2021) a HasLab crowd funded one-time only.

It would be nice for those who missed out, but I personally don't see it ever happening with Hasbro.

That's probably the reason why Spirit Halloween decided to release their life-sized (scaled up) version within the past year.
kman, deadderek liked this
zeta otaku wrote: November 12th, 2023, 10:10 pm Also, does anyone have any idea what the square thing is next to the Dale PH-25 Resistor is? Originally I thought it was a second metal block like on the ion arm, but after seeing some new pictures, that isn't the case.
It's just a block with a couple of rivets/screws in it. Looks handmade to me as there's some wonkiness to it that a print or off the rack piece probably wouldn't have. But it certainly could be printed/found.

This is an older photo before I refined the shape of it, but this is pretty much what it looks like. If I can remember, I'll take some updated photos.

hawkbatsquadron wrote: November 13th, 2023, 3:59 am Someone has already put together a physical pack: ImageImage@RustCityStudios and @CentralOklahomaGhostbusters (Instagram)
Hey, that's me!
gamera1968 wrote: November 13th, 2023, 7:36 am
This seems to be an ongoing question, but HasLab will not be making another proton pack.
It was (as most have already seem to have forgotten since it was announced in October, 2021) a HasLab crowd funded one-time only.

It would be nice for those who missed out, but I personally don't see it ever happening with Hasbro.

That's probably the reason why Spirit Halloween decided to release their life-sized (scaled up) version within the past year.
I would actually proffer that the logic on this goes in the complete opposite direction, tending to indicate more packs to come down the pipe. I don't know that Spirit has a newswire on what products Hasbro is working on, and I think their decision to offer a 1:1 scale pack has more to do with updating their own product line to keep up with the competition in the GB gear market. Their offerings are also not remotely in the same class as Haslab's.

Further, given the success of the Afterlife pack (and now the ghost trap), I don't think we are anywhere close to Haslab shutting the door on GB gear development. Because not only do people really want to buy more of it, new movies are still being produced with said producers allowing people to come onto the set and see all of the packs and other props up-close well before they even hit the cinemas. The most likely reasons for allowing people to get spoilers of what the equipment looks like in Frozen Empire is to generate hype around that equipment, presumably for merchandising dollars from selling replicas.

Another big reason I don't think Haslab is done with making packs...they know that the '84 and '89 packs are what everyone actually wanted. Their Afterlife pack sold so well, primarily, because it was literally the only decent looking mass-produced pack...literally ever. I don't put the Spirit packs in that category because they're not replica-grade IMHO. Money talks....and I bet you see just as many sales for an '84/'89 pack, if not a good bit more than for the Afterlife pack. Those packs from the 80's are the ones surrounded with nostalgia, and I think the dirty/heavily-weathered look of the Afterlife pack probably hampered sales for it as well.

TL;DR: As long as sales remain strong, expect more GB gear from Haslab.
True and I suppose anything is possible, but still the chances of a haslab pack again are slim to none. Also the cost to produce a pack would probably exceed there threshold for haslab costs.

I'm sorry but I just don't think it's going to happen.
gamera1968 liked this
It's no secret that Hasbro LOST money making the Afterlife packs (the higher ups were looking for loop holes to get out of making them, but found none), so IF they ever make another pack, expect it to be MORE expensive than the Spengler Special we got.

Hasbro has also NEVER released a Haslab product (modified or not) at mass retail which is true to their word about how HasLab products work. Campaigning and begging don't work... just ask the Transformers community.
gamera1968, deadderek liked this
zeta otaku wrote: November 15th, 2023, 3:07 pm It's no secret that Hasbro LOST money making the Afterlife packs (the higher ups were looking for loop holes to get out of making them, but found none), so IF they ever make another pack, expect it to be MORE expensive than the Spengler Special we got.

Hasbro has also NEVER released a Haslab product (modified or not) at mass retail which is true to their word about how HasLab products work. Campaigning and begging don't work... just ask the Transformers community.
I have never heard they tries to get out of making the packs? Can you elaborate? But yes I suspect there profit on them was very slim as they got slammed with rapid inflation just after the backing period.
deadderek liked this
Specter Mitcher wrote: November 15th, 2023, 2:38 pm
Those packs from the 80's are the ones surrounded with nostalgia, and I think the dirty/heavily-weathered look of the Afterlife pack probably hampered sales for it as well.

I agree. That's why I weathered the AF to look like 84/89

Personally I don't think Haslab will be making any more proton packs that are the general shape of the 84/89 packs.
I mean they sold 20,000. What percentage of those 20.000 people would be ready to pay to get yet another proton pack.
Unless the manufacturing costs would come down considerably for Hasbro I don't see it being done. What they could do is sell parts to convert the pack to another edition (like FE) maybe.

But I don't see there being a market for 40,000 people that would be ready to pay 400$ for a proton pack. I wouldn't (I'm not a big fan of the FE changes). I also think a considerable percentage of people that got the Spengler pack Haslab was because they were fans of GB1 and GB2, not necessarily because they had to have the Afterlife Spengler pack. I don't see 20,000 people demanding to have a "Frozen Empire" pack.
But then again maybe I'm wrong.
gamera1968, deadderek liked this
zeta otaku wrote: November 15th, 2023, 3:07 pm It's no secret that Hasbro LOST money making the Afterlife packs (the higher ups were looking for loop holes to get out of making them, but found none), so IF they ever make another pack, expect it to be MORE expensive than the Spengler Special we got.
Actually that’s probably a pretty big secret, and that claim sounds like pure speculation or rumor to me. I’ve never seen any communication from Hasbro that said they “lost money” on the Spengler packs. That’s seems like confidential information that wouldn’t be readily shared like that. Even if they did, they have a much better idea of how much they need to charge now.

The optimistic thought is they they used the Afterlife pack as a guinea pig for getting some experience prior to doing the more popular versions. If they really never do any more packs…I at least have my order for an ‘89 with Proton Props.
gerard55, deadderek liked this
One time wrote: November 15th, 2023, 3:34 pm
Specter Mitcher wrote: November 15th, 2023, 2:38 pm
Those packs from the 80's are the ones surrounded with nostalgia, and I think the dirty/heavily-weathered look of the Afterlife pack probably hampered sales for it as well.

I agree. That's why I weathered the AF to look like 84/89

Your weathered Haslab pack is beautiful!
I'd love a tutorial on how you managed to make it look weathered without going overboard.

Here... you earned it :crunch: .

Hey guys, its been over a month without updates an[…]

Nice work! I have considered trying a 3D print pac[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]