Here's my two cents. We have all spent years either making or waiting for companies to make decent full size proton packs as screen accurate as we can. We have spent countless hours and cash on these things to get them to look just like the 84/89 packs so we can stand back and admire them. Then a teaser for Frozen Empire comes out, sales of Red Parkers sky rocket and everyone starts altering their packs - for a 2min teaser... Unless the new film captures the essence of and becomes an absolute classic like the one we all grew up with and love - I'll stick with the classic look.
55_Central_Park_West wrote: February 5th, 2024, 1:22 pm Here's my two cents. We have all spent years either making or waiting for companies to make decent full size proton packs as screen accurate as we can. We have spent countless hours and cash on these things to get them to look just like the 84/89 packs so we can stand back and admire them. Then a teaser for Frozen Empire comes out, sales of Red Parkers sky rocket and everyone starts altering their packs - for a 2min teaser... Unless the new film captures the essence of and becomes an absolute classic like the one we all grew up with and love - I'll stick with the classic look.
I concur to some of this.

I actually intend to build a pack from each of the four films because apparently I'm insane.
55_Central_Park_West wrote: February 5th, 2024, 1:22 pm Here's my two cents. We have all spent years either making or waiting for companies to make decent full size proton packs as screen accurate as we can. We have spent countless hours and cash on these things to get them to look just like the 84/89 packs so we can stand back and admire them. Then a teaser for Frozen Empire comes out, sales of Red Parkers sky rocket and everyone starts altering their packs - for a 2min teaser... Unless the new film captures the essence of and becomes an absolute classic like the one we all grew up with and love - I'll stick with the classic look.
Agree 100%. There’s a difference between improving a design objectively and change for change’s sake. There’s a reason a PKE meter is a more loved design than a KUD meter from GB2 although the latter is newer. It's literally a handle with an added potato masher and a paddle strainer and looks very uninspiring.

Vice versa I love the new changes to the AF pack and AF PKE (but not the AF wand). So some people will build a mixture of equipment to make it uniquely theirs as opposed to just using the latest designs from the last movie.

There’s a reason GB1984 is a timeless movie: the equipment also looked timeless. So a part of me is glad the FE packs look the way they do. The original (+AF) packs have now cemented their iconic status in the franchise and won’t be messed with.

We are lucky that the stuff we can choose from increases with every movie. Which is awesome.
Stating that the new pack designs look like Fisher-Price toys just because of the yellow accents is insane. Law enforcement less-than-lethal devices having yellow accents.

The original pack designs were good, for 1984 when in-universe the nuclear backpacks were unregulated and built in a garage. This is 2024 and I highly doubt the Ghostbusters would be allowed to re-open as a business unless there were safety modifications set.
The Afterlife changes to the pack successfully improved the 1984 made in a garage/credible/dangerous look.

With FE It's not only the color but also the enlarged barrel, the bottom heavy look of the pack, the weird three prong cyclothong, etc.

On Reddit and Facebook from what I've seen the majority of people aren't in favor of the FE changes (as opposed to say AF) and I think I know why.

It's not just the yellow accents. GB1&2 had a timeless look that was more real/gritty/credible.

I mean, these are pictures of actual Delta Force special forces a DECADE after Ghostbusters. Squint your eyes and it's the same Ghostbusters 1984 colors, tools and accents.

No bright colors, no over the top huge barrels, no highlights, the tools are just real, believable looking black equipment that gets the job done. The whole thing looks credible.

That's what made 1984/89 GB timeless. You have actual special forces using the same gritty and real look decades later.

But franchises need change. So they try to change and modernize, etc and we get changes.

I'm not against these changes, (and I think the FE changes are lightyears beyond what we saw in ATC). I just prefer the ultra realistic, real world believable, Dark Knight kind of look of the originals and Afterlife. But that's me. Just my own opinion.

Like I said before I'm happy we can retire the OG look now and have them as icons of what was the genius prop and costume design of 1984.

Thankfully we can all enjoy these exciting additions that each new movie will bring and pick and choose what appeals to us individually.
gerard55, OBSIDIAN liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: February 6th, 2024, 11:17 am Stating that the new pack designs look like Fisher-Price toys just because of the yellow accents is insane. Law enforcement less-than-lethal devices having yellow accents.

The original pack designs were good, for 1984 when in-universe the nuclear backpacks were unregulated and built in a garage. This is 2024 and I highly doubt the Ghostbusters would be allowed to re-open as a business unless there were safety modifications set.
BTS photos certainly show the old school packs, and the trailer seems to indicate the van arrives at a certain point with the new packs.

Maybe the new packs are more powerful than the originals and the yellow accents are a quick vision indication of that.

Old style packs for everyday hauntings.
FE packs for bigger threats.
One time liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: February 8th, 2024, 11:29 pm
BTS photos certainly show the old school packs, and the trailer seems to indicate the van arrives at a certain point with the new packs.

Maybe the new packs are more powerful than the originals and the yellow accents are a quick vision indication of that.

Old style packs for everyday hauntings.
FE packs for bigger threats.
Good point!

There's obviously a difference. We see Trevor using an old pack on (what could be Slimer) in the attic of the Firehouse. We also see Phoebe with an old pack without the cyclotron lid. Time will tell.

In any case, how cool is it that we are getting (official) variations on the OG proton packs after all these years. For decades we were hanging on Aykroyd's every word if there would even be a third film. Now we are lucky enough to be discussing official Proton Pack designs where everyone can pick and choose what they like best :)
55_Central_Park_West wrote: February 16th, 2024, 12:31 pm Where have I seen a shield around the particle emitter before?

Oh yeah...
2016 ATC (I actually liked this film).
To be honest, it looks like a crude, painted movie prop. No details, no real world screws, bolts, fittings, lights, no discernible real world operation, no believable switches. Just a single button.

Compare that to this thought out beauty:

One time wrote: February 16th, 2024, 3:38 pm No details
Pipes, heatsink, warning label, visually interesting cable...
One time wrote: February 16th, 2024, 3:38 pmno real world screws, bolts, fittings
Cap head screw on the front, button head screws on the side.
One time wrote: February 16th, 2024, 3:38 pmlights
Green indicator, red LED beside green indicator, and barrel illumination.
One time wrote: February 16th, 2024, 3:38 pmno discernible real world operation, no believable switches. Just a single button.
Red fire button, three switches and one adjustment dial:

I'm not saying it's better than the 1984 design, but I think it's better than your summary would suggest.

Anyway, before this gets turned into a 2016 prop critique thread...
Kingpin wrote: February 16th, 2024, 6:00 pm
One time wrote: February 16th, 2024, 3:38 pm No details
Pipes, heatsink, warning label, visually interesting cable...
One time wrote: February 16th, 2024, 3:38 pmno real world screws, bolts, fittings
Cap head screw on the front, button head screws on the side.
One time wrote: February 16th, 2024, 3:38 pmlights
Green indicator, red LED beside green indicator, and barrel illumination.
One time wrote: February 16th, 2024, 3:38 pmno discernible real world operation, no believable switches. Just a single button.
Red fire button, three switches and one adjustment dial:

I'm not saying it's better than the 1984 design, but I think it's better than your summary would suggest.

Anyway, before this gets turned into a 2016 prop critique thread...
That's neat! I never knew it had buttons on the back.

I was too hasty with judging the '16 wand a few posts above. It deserved more credit than I gave it.

But yeah. Back to the FE Proton Pack which seems to have taken inspiration from quite a few different places.
I just noticed in this shot the waist belt is the GB2/Vietnam styled belt on the Frozen Empire Proton Pack shown below.
ImageImageImage I prefer this belt because the adjustment is in the back.ImageQuick and dirty power cell mod with yellow electrical tape...ImageImage

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit
alphabeta001 liked this
Here's a close-up of the new Adam Savage video thumbnail, you can really see the wire placement on the new module in the center of the pack.

Hairy Biker, Kingpin, alphabeta001 and 1 others liked this
The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and unfilled to test fit:ImageAfter filling, sanding and painting, before final weathering:ImageImageUltimately I want to weather it like this to match the rest of the pack:ImageWhat do you think?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using a hacked pirate satellite in a decaying orbit
Anyone know what kind of elbow fitting connects to the hose leading from the HGA to the modular valve? It's new to the FE pack.
SpaceBallz wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:32 am Here's a close-up of the new Adam Savage video thumbnail, you can really see the wire placement on the new module in the center of the pack.

takimeta wrote: March 21st, 2024, 4:07 pm Anyone know what kind of elbow fitting connects to the hose leading from the HGA to the modular valve? It's new to the FE pack.
SpaceBallz wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:32 am Here's a close-up of the new Adam Savage video thumbnail, you can really see the wire placement on the new module in the center of the pack.

viewtopic.php?p=4988374&hilit=conduit+elbow#p4988374
Adaptaflex. UK exclusive product.
One time wrote: February 16th, 2024, 3:38 pm
55_Central_Park_West wrote: February 16th, 2024, 12:31 pm Where have I seen a shield around the particle emitter before?

Oh yeah...
2016 ATC (I actually liked this film).
To be honest, it looks like a crude, painted movie prop. No details, no real world screws, bolts, fittings, lights, no discernible real world operation, no believable switches. Just a single button.

Compare that to this thought out beauty:

Thanks for using my proton wand replica as the example of a well thought out beauty. I accept the honor. ;-)
One time liked this
Dr. Stantz Jr. wrote: November 10th, 2023, 8:08 pm GBFE: Happy medium between all prior mounts (LC-2 Style Rothco ?)

I believe it was in one of the Adam Savage videos but the Ghost Corps team confirmed the new 2024 Frozen Empire Proton Packs have added padding to the motherboard which is obscured by black tape.

Correction:

It was the "Yes Have Some Podcast" Proton Pack reveal video (towards the end of the video.) To conceal the fabric support added to the motherboard they had to source tape from multiple suppliers to get that right matte black.
kahuna900 wrote: April 9th, 2024, 12:20 pm
Austin wrote: January 13th, 2024, 12:11 amImage
Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wires of the terminal block go to?
I also was long awaiting an answer, and I got one from Ray Cameron in the YHS discord: apparently, it just neatly tucks away behind the terminal block and the attenuator
kahuna900 liked this
takimeta wrote: April 16th, 2024, 10:23 am
kahuna900 wrote: April 9th, 2024, 12:20 pm Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wires of the terminal block go to?
I also was long awaiting an answer, and I got one from Ray Cameron in the YHS discord: apparently, it just neatly tucks away behind the terminal block and the attenuator
So they don't go anywhere, or do they just loop around and go back into the block?

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]