Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I couldn't find a thread that discusses the proton effect improvements seen in AF. Please feel free to merge if there is one, or add to the main AF thread is there is nothing exclusively discussing proton streams:

In the past (GB1, GB2, GBTVG, GB:ATC) it would be just firing no matter what it hit.

In AF it seems to snag on certain things/metal objects, etc. before returning in the direction its pointed, and be less predictable. Like when Phoebe fires it from the gunners seat, it's like the resistance and conductivity of certain objects causes it to momentarily snag on stuff.

I think that's a very good (modern) way to increase the unpredictability of that crazy proton stream (like a kid holding a firehose like Aykroyd told the SFX crew in 1983). I love how modern artists interpret this stuff and make it better / more like intended. I hope they continue that in FH and make it even better.

What would you do to improve that proton stream effect in FH and make it look even more wild/berserk?
I've just re-watched the "Rust City" and Muncher chase scenes to see if I could see what you're referring to, but I'm not seeing the streams snagging on anything other than the ghost. It bucks and writhes, which is in-keeping with how they're depicted in the first two movies.

The only thing I'd try to ensure with how the streams are animated is: 1) have the beam/stream exiting the Proton Gun barrel at the same angle the barrel is pointing/being held at... Kinda like how water shoots out of a pipe at the same angle as that pipe before gravity takes effect. 2) Making sure the streams don't appear too too thin or washed out.
deadderek liked this
Kingpin wrote: October 7th, 2023, 7:28 pm I've just re-watched the "Rust City" and Muncher chase scenes to see if I could see what you're referring to, but I'm not seeing the streams snagging on anything other than the ghost. It bucks and writhes, which is in-keeping with how they're depicted in the first two movies.

The only thing I'd try to ensure with how the streams are animated is: 1) have the beam/stream exiting the Proton Gun barrel at the same angle the barrel is pointing/being held at... Kinda like how water shoots out of a pipe at the same angle as that pipe before gravity takes effect. 2) Making sure the streams don't appear too too thin or washed out.
It was this scene, where near the end you see the beam jumping from place to place.

I think it maybe because how the animators tried to match the beam animation to the in camera pyro effects (sparks) that were going off.

I think it gives a neat effect (imo) the beam looking even more wild and uncontrollable than in '84, '89.

https://i.imgur.com/yY5gW0Z.mp4

Yeah agree with the angle and the beams not appearing too thin. I don't know if most people caught it but in AF there is also a detailed animation inside the barrel of the wand when it fires. All very neatly done.

Nice work! I have considered trying a 3D print pac[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]