Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
I've been thinking for awhile there could be more to the supernatural downturn Ray mentioned to Phoebe that played a part in the business shutting down along with Egon leaving with mostly everything. Perhaps there could be an ulterior motive other than the pattern of the surge dying down once the instigating entity is defeated and it comes to head in this movie.
I could be wrong but it sounds to me like he wants to tie it to a real world reason like all the bad things that happen is causing ghost, monsters etc..to enter our world.

I know that’s basically identical to GB2 and the mood slime but that’s what it sounds like to me. That there’s a moral reason behind the phenomenon. He says it depends on our view of ghosts.
Rookie99 wrote: November 10th, 2022, 7:44 pm Wonder what that "bigger thing going on" could be. My first thought it a portal or something, but that's not really complicated. Maybe subconsciously wanting to see those who have passed brought them into our world.
I think he meant "bigger" as in "why have these things been popping up the last 40 years and what's their reasoning." One of life's greatest mysteries, "why."

I've always thought it was because interdimensional rifts were splitting because of an upcoming apocalypse. Winston even says the famous "maybe we've been so busy lately is because the dead have been rising from the grave." But maybe he forgot that part :mrgreen:

I don't think he was implying that the next movie is small.
SpaceBallz wrote: November 11th, 2022, 3:30 pm
Rookie99 wrote: November 10th, 2022, 7:44 pm Wonder what that "bigger thing going on" could be. My first thought it a portal or something, but that's not really complicated. Maybe subconsciously wanting to see those who have passed brought them into our world.
I think he meant "bigger" as in "why have these things been popping up the last 40 years and what's their reasoning." One of life's greatest mysteries, "why."

I've always thought it was because interdimensional rifts were splitting because of an upcoming apocalypse. Winston even says the famous "maybe we've been so busy lately is because the dead have been rising from the grave." But maybe he forgot that part :mrgreen:

I don't think he was implying that the next movie is small.
Didn't Ramis say that in Aykroyd's original script the reason Gozer came was because of "Imagine all molecules in your body exploding at the speed of light". I.e. that mankind had reached beyond itself in terms of technological advancement. It was in either Cleanin up the town or The Movies That Made Us.
Kingpin wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 1:11 pm Ecto-1 is in a rare position that it can carry on as one of the iconic aspects of the franchise even if eventually Dan and Ernie retire from it.

I get the arguments that the car is at the point in its life where practically, it should be put out to pasture... Especially as someone who himself has argued other aspects about the car with a certain degree of real-world practicality... But I'd be apprehensive and hesitant about retiring the 1959 Cadillac Ecto-1 seeing as the prop car/s are now at a point where they can be used for further adventures as the Ghostbusters' mode of transportation. With the loss of Harold, and the growing possibility that Bill won't be back, it wouldn't hurt to hold onto some of the franchise's iconic landmarks.
I think you’re dead-on in terms of the kind of iconography it is thematically logical to keep. The car, the packs, the uniform and the headquarters are all perfectly sensible to re-use forever, provided the narrative moves along with them.

As an aside, I always think of one of Erik Burnham’s lines for Ray when people say the tech should be obsolete by now - “the things I’ve done to this phone, Ma Bell herself couldn’t keep a signal from me”. Egon and Ray’s tech is supposed to be borderline magical in how advanced it is, so it’s completely reasonable to imagine that (with upkeep) a post-Ray Ectomobile could run forever. It’s one of the things that niggled about the Wrecto thread in Afterlife, but let’s imagine it isn’t secure from the elements and a leaky old barn caused problems for her. Aside from that damage, it’s easy to imagine that the engine and the rooftop gear themselves are GB magical tech upgrade and thus impervious to obsolescence. Put simply, I can’t really believe Ray would leave a car engine simply as was, can anyone else?
Kingpin liked this
robbritton wrote: November 12th, 2022, 1:02 pm
Kingpin wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 1:11 pm Ecto-1 is in a rare position that it can carry on as one of the iconic aspects of the franchise even if eventually Dan and Ernie retire from it.

I get the arguments that the car is at the point in its life where practically, it should be put out to pasture... Especially as someone who himself has argued other aspects about the car with a certain degree of real-world practicality... But I'd be apprehensive and hesitant about retiring the 1959 Cadillac Ecto-1 seeing as the prop car/s are now at a point where they can be used for further adventures as the Ghostbusters' mode of transportation. With the loss of Harold, and the growing possibility that Bill won't be back, it wouldn't hurt to hold onto some of the franchise's iconic landmarks.
I think you’re dead-on in terms of the kind of iconography it is thematically logical to keep. The car, the packs, the uniform and the headquarters are all perfectly sensible to re-use forever, provided the narrative moves along with them.

As an aside, I always think of one of Erik Burnham’s lines for Ray when people say the tech should be obsolete by now - “the things I’ve done to this phone, Ma Bell herself couldn’t keep a signal from me”. Egon and Ray’s tech is supposed to be borderline magical in how advanced it is, so it’s completely reasonable to imagine that (with upkeep) a post-Ray Ectomobile could run forever. It’s one of the things that niggled about the Wrecto thread in Afterlife, but let’s imagine it isn’t secure from the elements and a leaky old barn caused problems for her. Aside from that damage, it’s easy to imagine that the engine and the rooftop gear themselves are GB magical tech upgrade and thus impervious to obsolescence. Put simply, I can’t really believe Ray would leave a car engine simply as was, can anyone else?
If they are smart they’ll keep all the old stuff. That doesn’t mean they can’t have a new Ecto or new Proton Pack. Infact it might even be smart that they do that and then make a joke out of it. They invest in all this new equipment, a brand spanking new 2022 Caddy as an Ecto, nice and sleek Proton Packs…the Ghostbusters look like Modern badasses ready to take on their new foe….and nothing works. It all craps out. A puff of smoke comes out of the new neautrona wand and it sputters, coughs and just falls apart ala the blues mobile at the end of Blues Brothers.

They could even have greasy corporate sponsor type character following them the whole movie that freaks out. “But the toys! You can’t go back to the old packs! Shelves are stocked with Toys of all your new equipment! Look! See this?(picks up a random Toy from a shelf) It’s a called The Ghost Zapper! 79.99! Made in…somewhere. Look what it does!(he presses the button/trigger. It does nothing.) Oh, right. ‘Batteries not included’. You know how much that cost to make? 8 dollars! 8 friggin dollars! Ok. Ok. Forget the Ghost Zapper. How about this? (Picks up a Lego Toy Ecto 1 2022 edition). 12,000 pieces! That’s more than Harry Potter or Star Trek-and/or War. Don’t walk away! Look! It really moves! (He goes to push it and it breaks into all 12,000 pieces). Fine! Leave! This brand peaked in the late ‘80s anyways!” The corporate sponser looks at the table full of cheap merchandise and freaks out kicking, smashing and wailing it all. “Cheap shit!”
Kingpin liked this
There should be space in that garage bay for at least 1 more vehicle. Could be something as simple as a support vehicle like a van or one more equipped for analysis before calling in Ecto-1.

As for the packs and the original equipment, I tend to lean towards keeping them original but a minor tweak like making the Trap mobile like the RTV is fine. But with GB2, adding new equipment is fine as long as they can keep the same aesthetic. The games and comics have come up with some cool stuff. Like idk, some version of a boson pack would be rad, imo.
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
You know what I'd like to see? I've always pictured the beginning of one of the GB movies where one of those TV ghost hunting groups are filming a new episode somewhere. They put on an act where they think they heard something knocking on a door and a few blips on their EMF meter (this can be comedic where they are super excited about possibly getting an EVP on their voice recorder). Then an actual ghost is standing in a closet somewhere on camera and everybody including the camera crew are scared stupid and don't know what to do until the real GBs show up. I think it'd fit in well in today's society of modern standards on what a "haunting" is as opposed to the "real" thing.
zeta otaku, BatDan, WCat2000 and 1 others liked this
SpaceBallz wrote:You know what I'd like to see? I've always pictured the beginning of one of the GB movies where one of those TV ghost hunting groups are filming a new episode somewhere. They put on an act where they think they heard something knocking on a door and a few blips on their EMF meter (this can be comedic where they are super excited about possibly getting an EVP on their voice recorder). Then an actual ghost is standing in a closet somewhere on camera and everybody including the camera crew are scared stupid and don't know what to do until the real GBs show up. I think it'd fit in well in today's society of modern standards on what a "haunting" is as opposed to the "real" thing.
I have two drafts of a ghostbusters 3 scripts and it includes this sort of scene. Infact the one opens with a scene like this. The other draft is a bit different in that nothing at all paranormal happens which is kinda the joke.

It’s a “Ghost Adventures” type show with a Zack Baggins like moron. On camera he’s acting all tough and in control. Of course they do the “do you feel that? Did you hear that” thing no Ghost chasing show would be complete without. We cut and we reveal it’s all fake and all the crew and cast know it and they are wrapping production and taking their gear down when all sudden a “did you hear that? Did you feel that” happens for real and Mr Baggins laughs it off in a “ok guys, the cameras are off, you can stop now”. Long story short All hell breaks loose & Zack ends up literally pissing his pants, he’s crying & screaming a very girly scream.

The other version doesn’t open the script but it’s our “catching up with Venkman scene” and he is now hosting a Ghost Adventures type show, not unlike his huckster type gig on “World of the Psychic”. He’s surrounded by sycophants and suck ups.
It’s one of those “live Halloween shows”. Peter Venkman & his crew are in some infamous abandoned mental asylum. They have night vision, thermal imaging, the works. All of a sudden one of the crew is claiming to be possessed and she’s putting on a hilariously bad Linda Blair type performance, Venkman does that “are you kidding me? What is this person doing? I’m not getting paid enough for this” look to the camera only bill Murray can do while also trying to play up the segment, he is a pro after all. The segment supposedly ends or cuts to commercial, all the lights are turned on(it looks scarier in the dark! And the night vision adds a nice effect for TV) and the possessed female comes right out of it and starts acting normal. Venkman starts flirting with her and hitting on her. She’s kinda into it. Suddenly we hear “ummm. We’re still live” by the director. Venkman doesn’t skip a beat and starts treating the female like she’s possessed again, he starts acting overboard like an exorcist preacher “Get out of her satan! I command thee!” The poor girl is caught like a deer in the headlights & doesn’t know what to do. Venkman yells “Where’s my holy water?” But the girl is a little ditzy and says “um I never agreed to get wet. That wasn’t in my contract! I said I’d spit out some pea soup!” Venkman: “did you hear that? She’s speaking in tongues! Satan leave his poor girl alone! In the name of the father and the…umm…(off camera someone whispers “Holy Ghost”) and, um, the Holy Ghost!” Venkman is now shaking the poor girl! It’s a pathetic scene but he won’t admit defeat. Finally, going to the nearby catering table, he throws a Bucket of Gatorade on her(“the holy Gatorade”). The girl, soaked in ice cold orange Gatorade, cameras rolling, punches Peter Venkman right in the face knocking him out cold. The camera feed mercifully cuts. Peters show is canceled the next day.
GuyX, SpaceBallz liked this
RichardLess wrote: November 12th, 2022, 11:07 pm The other version doesn’t open the script but it’s our “catching up with Venkman scene” and he is now hosting a Ghost Adventures type show, not unlike his huckster type gig on “World of the Psychic”. He’s surrounded by sycophants and suck ups.
It’s one of those “live Halloween shows”. Peter Venkman & his crew are in some infamous abandoned mental asylum. They have night vision, thermal imaging, the works. All of a sudden one of the crew is claiming to be possessed and she’s putting on a hilariously bad Linda Blair type performance, Venkman does that “are you kidding me? What is this person doing? I’m not getting paid enough for this” look to the camera only bill Murray can do while also trying to play up the segment, he is a pro after all. The segment supposedly ends or cuts to commercial, all the lights are turned on(it looks scarier in the dark! And the night vision adds a nice effect for TV) and the possessed female comes right out of it and starts acting normal. Venkman starts flirting with her and hitting on her. She’s kinda into it. Suddenly we hear “ummm. We’re still live” by the director. Venkman doesn’t skip a beat and starts treating the female like she’s possessed again, he starts acting overboard like an exorcist preacher “Get out of her satan! I command thee!” The poor girl is caught like a deer in the headlights & doesn’t know what to do. Venkman yells “Where’s my holy water?” But the girl is a little ditzy and says “um I never agreed to get wet. That wasn’t in my contract! I said I’d spit out some pea soup!” Venkman: “did you hear that? She’s speaking in tongues! Satan leave his poor girl alone! In the name of the father and the…umm…(off camera someone whispers “Holy Ghost”) and, um, the Holy Ghost!” Venkman is now shaking the poor girl! It’s a pathetic scene but he won’t admit defeat. Finally, going to the nearby catering table, he throws a Bucket of Gatorade on her(“the holy Gatorade”). The girl, soaked in ice cold orange Gatorade, cameras rolling, punches Peter Venkman right in the face knocking him out cold. The camera feed mercifully cuts. Peters show is canceled the next day.
Ha!
Dang. That’s not bad. Not bad at all. I could see that in my minds eye. However I’m not sure Bill Murray physically shaking a woman would be a very good notion in todays charged climate. But her punching him in the face is a great role reversal. I thought maybe that’s where you were going to go with it, was having him violently slapping her or something. The “holy Gatorade” is a funny bit. I could see it. It’s total showman Venkman.

Your suggestion above about the merchandise actually made me laugh out loud too. You should post your script! Are you a writer or is it just a hobby? The line about the brand peaking in the late 1980s is a nice meta moment.

I think I saw something you posted awhile back about your script or maybe it was just an idea about how the new team has to have regular sperm count checks and the men have use lead lined jockstraps, I think that was you anyways. That was one I also laughed at. Due to the radiation from the packs the old GB’s went sterile.

I always thought it would be funny if during Ghostbusters: Answer The Call or Afterlife that a character is watching TV, switching channels really fast and they land on some random game show. Who should come out as the host? Our beloved Venkman! A nice nod to Dana’s quip(and apparently Sigourney Weaver’s improv!).
GuyX wrote: November 13th, 2022, 3:31 am
RichardLess wrote: November 12th, 2022, 11:07 pm The other version doesn’t open the script but it’s our “catching up with Venkman scene” and he is now hosting a Ghost Adventures type show, not unlike his huckster type gig on “World of the Psychic”. He’s surrounded by sycophants and suck ups.
Ha!
Dang. That’s not bad. Not bad at all. I could see that in my minds eye. However I’m not sure Bill Murray physically shaking a woman would be a very good notion in todays charged climate. But her punching him in the face is a great role reversal. I thought maybe that’s where you were going to go with it, was having him violently slapping her or something. The “holy Gatorade” is a funny bit. I could see it. It’s total showman Venkman.

Your suggestion above about the merchandise actually made me laugh out loud too. You should post your script! Are you a writer or is it just a hobby? The line about the brand peaking in the late 1980s is a nice meta moment.

I think I saw something you posted awhile back about your script or maybe it was just an idea about how the new team has to have regular sperm count checks and the men have use lead lined jockstraps, I think that was you anyways. That was one I also laughed at. Due to the radiation from the packs the old GB’s went sterile.

I always thought it would be funny if during Ghostbusters: Answer The Call or Afterlife that a character is watching TV, switching channels really fast and they land on some random game show. Who should come out as the host? Our beloved Venkman! A nice nod to Dana’s quip(and apparently Sigourney Weaver’s improv!).
Thanks. Yeah I wrote the bit with Bill Murray shaking before the recent headlines came to pass. I’d probably take that detail out now.

It’s just a hobby. And while I appreciate the kind words, I’m uncomfortable sharing the entire thing on the internet. Right now it’s a hobby but I really hope to one day turn it into something more and while I’m 99.9999999% sure my GB3 scripts will never be made there’s some jokes and ideas I could maybe recycle elsewhere. As soon as I were to put it on the internet I lose that. Granted I’ve shared enough bits and pieces on here over the years(the sperm count idea being one) that I doubt it would be much a difference lol. Maybe one day I’ll wake up and there will be a message from Jason Reitman asking for my services LOL. If only…

I do like your idea about Venkman being a game show host. That might’ve been the perfect GB16 cameo. They don’t even comment on it. Someone’s just flipping thru channels and lands on the game show with Bill Murray hosting. I think that’s far better than what they went with. The cameos in that movie were just baffling. Tho Ernie Hudson’s was pretty ok.
The recent headlines are truely bizarre.

Close friend of mine met Bill and said he was totally chill and down to earth.

I hate to be such a conspiracy theorist…but Ever since his casting in Antman did the headlines start to spike.

Its like Marvel/Disneys PR keep their stars on a tight rope. *cough* gina corrano and chris pratt *cough*

I know bill aint all that innocent as a human being..we know his history with Harold and Ivan.

Im just saying things seem forcefully sensitive and high strung at the present moment. Very “clickbaity”
One time wrote:I want to see a scene in Firehouse where we get to see what happened after GBA.

When Venkman says "lets get coffee inside, some of us will have rum with it."

That scene be cool. To have the new and old characters sitting around a table

and Grooberson says: "What happened to you guys?"
I guess that would have been OK for an info dump. I was hoping for a post-credits scene with the OGBs talking to Podcast for an episode of MTUU.
deadderek liked this
I think that would be PERFECT to drop something like that before "Firehouse" comes out. Just Podcast and Ray babbling for a half hour or so.
SpaceBallz liked this
jonogunn wrote:Give my privileged ass some real news!!!
YHS posted their Eric Reich interview. Maybe something comes up in it. I'll come back and add some notes later if this sequel comes up. EDIT: Nothing directly about the sequel came up but while they talked about filming the Firehouse end tag, Eric did mention they took a lot of photos and lidar scans in case they needed to rebuild the interior ever again.

Using Unreal Engine for a "new project"
08:48-09:04: "I was just gonna say I just, honestly, were working on this new project with, yeah, I don't know if you guys have seen how they're building out scenes from Unreal Engine and they did something for the Matrix I believe."

Took reference images and lidar scans at LA Firehouse when they filmed Afterlife end tag in August 2021.
38:20-38:32: "And we were also -- just the fact -- that we were able to get back in there, take more photos, reference photos, we got lidar data of the whole building so that we can rebuild interiors if we need to."
deadderek, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 16th, 2022, 1:10 am
jonogunn wrote:Give my privileged ass some real news!!!
YHS posted their Eric Reich interview. Maybe something comes up in it. I'll come back and add some notes later if this sequel comes up. EDIT: Nothing directly about the sequel came up but while they talked about filming the Firehouse end tag, Eric did mention they took a lot of photos and lidar scans in case they needed to rebuild the interior ever again.
"In case."

Yeah okay, sure.
mrmichaelt liked this
deadderek wrote: November 16th, 2022, 2:33 am "In case."

Yeah okay, sure.
My immediate thought was "thanks for throwing us a bone, Eric!" He's pretty much telling us without telling us that yes, they're going to rebuild the Firehouse interior on a set for this movie.
deadderek, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
That assumption was made for me the second Firehouse was announced.
Davideverona wrote:Didn't they already have some interiors from that thing Paul Feig filmed some years ago?
Yes, that's correct that for Answer The Call, they built a Firehouse set loosely based on the LA firehouse. Officially, it was "Set #1236" and was inside a warehouse at 625 University Avenue in Norwood, Massachusetts. Blueprints were drawn up by art director Lorin Fleming and 2 set designers.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: November 15th, 2022, 3:31 pm
One time wrote:I want to see a scene in Firehouse where we get to see what happened after GBA.

When Venkman says "lets get coffee inside, some of us will have rum with it."

That scene be cool. To have the new and old characters sitting around a table

and Grooberson says: "What happened to you guys?"
I guess that would have been OK for an info dump. I was hoping for a post-credits scene with the OGBs talking to Podcast for an episode of MTUU.
Yeah, imagine the actual Ghostbusters talking about what happened to the Ghostbusters. After all these years.
A man can dream.
deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 16th, 2022, 5:28 am
Davideverona wrote:Didn't they already have some interiors from that thing Paul Feig filmed some years ago?
Yes, that's correct that for Answer The Call, they built a Firehouse set loosely based on the LA firehouse. Officially, it was "Set #1236" and was inside a warehouse at 625 University Avenue in Norwood, Massachusetts. Blueprints were drawn up by art director Lorin Fleming and 2 set designers.
Eric Reich talks about how Unreal Engine is an interesting technology at the start of the YHS interview, so I'm guessing a lot of the sets will be virtual just like the Mandalorian. Interesting. Would make shooting in NY a lot easier and cheaper as well!
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 16th, 2022, 6:13 am Eric Reich talks about how Unreal Engine is an interesting technology at the start of the YHS interview, so I'm guessing a lot of the sets will be virtual just like the Mandalorian. Interesting. Would make shooting in NY a lot easier and cheaper as well!
True. Hmm. And a lot easier to avoid paparazzi and scoopers. He admitted it was fairly easy to control spoiler leaks in small Canadian towns vs. big American cities.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]