Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Or we're all hyped a little too early and we don't get anything atm. :P
mrmichaelt liked this
The Flash is gonna save superhero films and its current downfall on quality. WB knows what they have on their hand to not bother trashing it given Ezra Miller’s scandals.

Regarding the ghostbusters having new tools to use, as long as they aren’t obviously overpowered equipment that would solve many problems i future movies but we never see it again *cough* Harry Potter time travel necklace*
mrmichaelt wrote: March 20th, 2023, 3:12 am
deadderek wrote:Or we're all hyped a little too early and we don't get anything atm. :P
Either way I'm going to sleep. Or am I?
mrmichaelt liked this
isitatomic? wrote: March 17th, 2023, 5:49 am Since every single Ghostbusters movie set in NYC up til now has been shot mostly outside New York (LA for GB1/2 and Boston for ATC) I'm not as concerned about the UK filming as some people.

If anything, them shooting it the UK could actually be kind of a good sign.

In my experience, big-budget American productions which are trying to double specific places in the US but don't have immediate access to North American-style buildings and locations usually tend to put way more effort into set dressing and choosing locations than stuff that's shot in, like, Canada.

Plus, they will probably also be doing some NYC filming too. It's just not currently listed on Production Weekly because it'll likely be done with a different unit after UK shooting wraps.
The Knowledge, one of the most reputable crewing databases in the UK, has confirmed not just the first day of shooting, but also that the current plan is that part of the movie *will* be shot in NYC.

https://www.theknowledgeonline.com/the- ... s-uk-shoot
BatDan, mrmichaelt liked this
RichardLess wrote: March 19th, 2023, 4:04 am COVID is still keeping people away from the theatres. BUT the thing is…if they want to see something bad enough, they’ll come. Did anybody think Top Gun 2 was making 1.4 billion dollars? No. Even Spider-Man’s success was surprising(the level of it). So I do think there’s a version of GBA released on that same date that makes a lot more money. But that’s not the movie they made. Top Gun 2 shows that audiences will reward you if you treat the characters they love with respect. Hell I think COVID, in Top Gun 2’s case, INCREASED the movies box office. Same with Spider-Man. People were hungry for the familiar. The good time. More than ever.
I will say, I don’t think Ghostbusters is terribly familiar for Zillennials. Top Gun is probably the same deal. Spider-Man is super familiar, though. None of my friends went to see Ghostbusters with me (although to be fair I probably didn’t try very hard to drag them to it). For me, Ghostbusters is the only movie released post-covid that was worth seeing on my own despite the risk of getting sick—every other time I’ve gone to the movies is because my friends were going, and I tagged along. Actually, that’s not true—I went to go see The Good House (again by myself) because Sigourney was in it. Not a bad movie, I might add.

Anyway, I get why Afterlife performed the way it did compared to Spider-Man—Zoomers talk about Spider-Man. The performance of Top Gun mystifies me. I do have a bit of a theory though: whether or not you found the story of Afterlife compelling, it did ask something of the audience on an emotional level at the very least. People left the theatre “crying.” After being inundated with covid for a couple of years, I just don’t think audiences wanted anything asked of them. Two of my acquaintances who did go to Afterlife walked away from it and said that the special effects were good. That was their takeaway. I liked Top Gun a lot—it was a well made film, and the story was compelling, but it was indulgent. Now thinking of it, there was an emotional story there with Maverick and Rooster, but it ended happily. I nearly forgot it. You didn’t leave the theatre crying—you left the theatre feeling pumped. It was unapologetically patriotic, completely militaristic, and the special effects were spectacular. Like I said, it was indulgent and uncritical. The experience of watching it was visceral. (Apologies if my left-liberal bias is showing.) I think that’s what people wanted after covid—something that they could mindlessly enjoy. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. But that’s not what Ghostbusters is.

I’m not saying that Ghostbusters is like Taxi Driver or Apocalypse Now! or anything, but it’s a franchise that needs to be thoughtful and witty to work. The trouble with Afterlife is that it’s not as sophisticated as it needed to be to stimulate the average movie goer’s intellect, but it wasn’t mindless enough to be enjoyed thoughtlessly. It was kind of in the in-between area, and I bet it would have done a lot better with a pre-covid audience. Conversely, I don’t think Top Gun would have done as well as it did pre-covid.

God, I sound so pretentious… I’m sorry about that—I’m not trying to knock Top Gun or Afterlife. I enjoyed both. It takes a lot of smarts and thoughtfulness to make any movie. I guess what I’m saying is this: pre-covid, movies could probably be more diverse and still do well. Now people are weary from the last few years, which have been at least somewhat traumatic. A movie released today either has to make an audience really want to think, or not ask them to think at all. We’re Ghostbusters fans—we already want to think about Ghostbusters. We want to analyze and dissect it. We’ve given a lot of thought to all four Ghostbusters films because we like to think about Ghostbusters. The average movie goer needs to be persuaded to think about any movie—the movie has to make them want to think, instead of just asking them to. The first movie did really well in this regard, but I don’t think any of the sequels have been quite as…inspiring. That’s all. As people recover from the mental toll of covid, I think they’ll be more ready to accept a movie like Afterlife, even if it wasn’t ever going to be a sensation. I do think there was a Ghostbusters movie that could have been released in 2021 which would have been a mega-hit, but it would have had to equal the first movie in essentially every regard.
Last edited by Sav C on March 21st, 2023, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C wrote: March 20th, 2023, 2:41 pm The performance of Top Gun mystifies me.
I think a big reason for its success is that Cruise demanded (or had in his contract or whatever) that it play exclusively in theaters for several months. I believe it came out around Memorial Day, had another big marketing push around 4th of July, and didn't hit home rental/blu-ray until October. Of course it was helped by the stellar reviews, but in general the big message being pushed was that this was something you *had* to experience in a theater (much like both Avatars, and we know how well those did).

Leading up to Afterlife's release some of us wondered if Sony was going to switch gears and do a simultaneous theatrical and streaming release like a lot of other movies had gotten during the pandemic, but even movies that are released exclusively in theaters (at first) there's now the expectation/assumption that it will be available to stream like a month or two later. I think in a way it cheapens these bigger movies, and Cruise and Cameron seem to be fighting that.

Now, given Firehouse's relatively short production schedule (and the fact that they're still apparently on track for December release) I'm not expecting a huge special effects extravaganza, probably something similar to Afterlife in overall scope/action, but we'll see. GB II had an incredibly short turnaround considering what ended up on the screen, but that was practically a miracle. I enjoyed Afterlife but the kid in me wants to see another big NYC adventure.
Sav C, DancingToaster liked this
Ecto24601 wrote: March 20th, 2023, 2:40 pm The tweet by the official GB twitter account created quite a bit of action. Shows if they would, they could be better. The interest is certainly there as seen today.

On a personal note, my Haslab packs were finally shipped and are due to be delivered on Friday. YAY! I'll be fully equipped when GB4 hits the cinemas.
How come yours took so long to arrive?
mcbenzi_ghost wrote: March 20th, 2023, 12:59 pm Does anyone know the UK locations?
As of right now, we only know of the Firehouse set at Warner Bros Studios Leavesden.

Which is interesting as they control more of the narrative so to speak. We won't be seeing much of principal filming like we did for Afterlife since for all we know right now, all of UK filming is interiors unless the cast/crew posts. Then of course, we likely see a lot of photos when they come to NYC for presumably exterior shots.
starang11 wrote: March 20th, 2023, 4:06 pm Leading up to Afterlife's release some of us wondered if Sony was going to switch gears and do a simultaneous theatrical and streaming release like a lot of other movies had gotten during the pandemic, but even movies that are released exclusively in theaters (at first) there's now the expectation/assumption that it will be available to stream like a month or two later. I think in a way it cheapens these bigger movies, and Cruise and Cameron seem to be fighting that.

Now, given Firehouse's relatively short production schedule (and the fact that they're still apparently on track for December release) I'm not expecting a huge special effects extravaganza, probably something similar to Afterlife in overall scope/action, but we'll see. GB II had an incredibly short turnaround considering what ended up on the screen, but that was practically a miracle. I enjoyed Afterlife but the kid in me wants to see another big NYC adventure.
That’s a really interesting point about how wait times might impact the theatregoing experience. If I didn’t really want to see a movie, or didn’t care either way, I could see waiting a couple of months for it to get to streaming. That way I could shut it off if I got bored, and wouldn’t feel like I wasted money. On the other hand, you guys were all definitely right—going to the theatre really does enhance the moviegoing experience, especially when it’s a good theatre with comfortable seats and great sound (I didn’t have anything like that in my hometown, so moving away has changed my opinion on theatregoing).

I agree, I’d love to see another big NYC adventure as well. New York is such a great setting for any movie—I’ve been on a bit of a Woody Allen binge recently, which has been satisfying my NY cravings… I don’t mind if Firehouse doesn’t have a ton of special effects as long as the story is good.
Think about the effects in Everything Everywhere All At Once... then consider this fact.

"All the VFX for this film were done by 9 people, including the two directors, with the majority of the shots being done by a core group of 5 people. None of the VFX team went to school for VFX. They were all friends who taught themselves with tutorials they found online for free."

Firehouse doesn't need Marvel levels of cinematic "awe" nebulas, planets, space ships etc, it just needs realism and subtlety. A blend of cgi and practical is what grounds us in reality. It's why the effects in Everything Everywhere actually look better than some of the janky shots in the new Ant Man despite not having a huge team of artists working flat out.
BatDan, deadderek, Sav C and 3 others liked this
I thought that was gonna be another”meh” Movie that the oscars are obsessed with..and then forgotten about within a year—but i thought that movie was actually fantastic..And thats a really cool factoid!

Speaking on factoids..word on the street is that Hells Kitchen is NOT the new working title. But instead, a codename for cast and crew. Source is Jason from GBnews latest video.
deadderek wrote: March 18th, 2023, 8:25 pm So anyone wanna talk box office?

I think this movie will pull in more than Afterlife did. With having been pushed back 4 or so times due to Covid, etc, I feel Afterlife didn't do as well as it could have. This new movie I think has a good chance at a much better box office.
I doubt it, they kept wraps on it because the film was a bit of a mess.When that became apparent it pretty much tanked.If this follows Afterlife I doubt there will be a fifth
Dondraper85 wrote:
deadderek wrote: March 18th, 2023, 8:25 pm So anyone wanna talk box office?

I think this movie will pull in more than Afterlife did. With having been pushed back 4 or so times due to Covid, etc, I feel Afterlife didn't do as well as it could have. This new movie I think has a good chance at a much better box office.
I doubt it, they kept wraps on it because the film was a bit of a mess.When that became apparent it pretty much tanked.If this follows Afterlife I doubt there will be a fifth
It's not so much about the box office figure as it is how that number compares to the cost of making and marketing the film. If GB4 only makes $250 million, but the film costs $50 million to make, and they spend $100 million marketing it, then the movie was successful.

If I had to venture a guess, the hope is that this new film lays the groundwork for an animated series, which in turn would lead to merchandise and toy sales.
You've hit the nail on the head there. Technically ATC made a lot more than Afterlife at the box office, but it's not considered particularly successful because the cost of producing and marketing the film was so much higher than it cost to make Afterlife.

Most films Box Office taking are down since covid though, yes there have been some exceptions such as Spiderman: No Way Home, Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar 2 but generally takings are less these days. So filmmakers and studios are having to be a bit more crafty with the budgets for productions and marketing. I do, however, expect Firehouse to have a bigger budget than Afterlife did. I hope it does well and keeps the spark in the franchise alive. It would be a shame for it to have come back but then fizzled away because of poor story and janky vfx.
deadderek, Sav C, Alphagaia liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]