Hey guys! I have a question about the Corcoran 995's. I normally wear a size 16 in sneakers, and a size 15 in Chuck Taylor's (which have no internal padding). All I'm finding everywhere I look is a size 14W max in the Corcorans. How much of a sizing difference am I going to run into if I decide to give those a shot? Enough to make up the difference? I don't want to pay that much for something that I can't fit into! I've had horrible luck finding shoes since I was about 14, so this is something that constantly bums me out...
Adorkable Eric wrote:Hey guys! I have a question about the Corcoran 995's. I normally wear a size 16 in sneakers, and a size 15 in Chuck Taylor's (which have no internal padding). All I'm finding everywhere I look is a size 14W max in the Corcorans. How much of a sizing difference am I going to run into if I decide to give those a shot? Enough to make up the difference? I don't want to pay that much for something that I can't fit into! I've had horrible luck finding shoes since I was about 14, so this is something that constantly bums me out...
I think it's going to be horribly painful. Just my 2c.
By Coover5
I'm going to start putting together a uniform to go with my pack I am buying. I don't want to spend $100+ on boots that I would wear twice a year if I wore them out at all. I was wondering if they would make for a good boot in general. I am in need of some winter boots (which for me is any kind of boot) and some general use boots. Would these corcran 995's do the job for me?
By Gareee
Whatever you get you can also use for yardwork, unless you want them to have that brand new look to them.

I use mine when out chopping firewood, or doing any other general yardwork.
Coover5 wrote:I'm going to start putting together a uniform to go with my pack I am buying. I don't want to spend $100+ on boots that I would wear twice a year if I wore them out at all. I was wondering if they would make for a good boot in general. I am in need of some winter boots (which for me is any kind of boot) and some general use boots. Would these corcran 995's do the job for me?
Unless they are specified as cold weather boots, combat boots are not so great in the winter. You will be slipping everywhere. I have the bruises to prove it lol
I just found a pair of boots that I think are as close as I'm going to get, at least in a size 15. I found them on Ebay and they're actually Israel combat boots! $50, with shipping. Not bad!

By Charnel
Went with a pair of these. They're rocky fort hood waterproof side zips. I wanted something that I could wear for hiking and camping, not just with the uniform. Plus they look close enough and most people don't even notice the boots so I wasn't to worried about it. I've had them for about 3 years now and haven't gotten wet or sore feet with them yet.

This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

If you have big feet I have a pair of boots up for grabs on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1202
I would have posted them in the for sale section but I cant afford a supporting membership
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Super Sleuth wrote:If you have big feet I have a pair of boots up for grabs on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1202
I would have posted them in the for sale section but I cant afford a supporting membership
Kinda wish you'd mentioned these earlier... oh well. Hopefully the ones I bought fit.
I have not yet gotten my black jump boots, but I own 10" brown jump boots (for other hobbies and everyday use), and I would recommend a Corcoran jump boot for the extra few dollars. They are the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned and I wear them everyday. They are also American made. I got mine from

http://www.shoeline.com/asp/showallorg. ... SortType=D

It was free shipping and I got them in about 2 or 3 days. The brown ones I have are cap-toe leather, not steel toe and they are a great boot.
By Some_Guy
After rocking my knee-high buckle boots forever, I decided with something a little more practical (as the company that made my buckle boots turned to shit quality)

I discovered Rocky brand Paratrooper boots. Very good alternative; also has a Side-zip.
ProtonCharger, Ceja liked this
I've had three different boots, all wildly inaccurate.

My first pair were some rather tall 'moon boot' type things that offered little besides being black and comfortable.

Then I gained a pair of heeled, black leather boots with side zips at my local Goodwill, and wore those for one day at a convention. I got terrible blisters from them, though getting some comfort soles helped.

My latest pair are some Magnum boots I got at the same Goodwill. More accurate than the last two, but still not perfect. Still, they fit great and they're quite comfortable.

For my suit I bought "Bates" paratrooper 11in. boots with side zip

They really do the job... good sole for con on concret floors, warm enough for fall weather but not to warm for summer.

but they cost a few bucks... If I remember well I paid them around 150$ or something like that...
ProtonCharger liked this
After reading this topic, and other forums about the fit of these, I decided to search out boots of my correct size that I wear in other shoes and boots which is 10.5, sometimes wide..I saw a practically new pair of 995 Corcoran Jump boots with the side zip and flat sole in size 10.5w on Ebay and won them for $71 shipped... They just arrived, expecting them to not fit as well as I would like, but much to my surprise, they fit perfectly!
I have a pair of Corcorans that I can hardly wear. The size in length and width is fine, but my issue, strangely enough, is with the heel - when I'm stepping down in them, there's still room for my heel, and my feet sort of default slide forward a bit, which causes a lot of rubbing between my heel and the back of the boots. That's obviously an issue, and it usually results in some gory aftermath if I wear them for extended lengths of time. I'm not sure if breaking them in more will help or not?

As it stands now, I just wear a REALLY OLD pair of Grinders steel-toed boots that I've had for maybe 15 years or so.

Mine aren't remotely as shiny and new as that - they're beaten to hell. They get the job done, but I'd like to be able to wear the Corcorans for authenticity's sake. I've tried insoles/lifts to see if that fixes the heel issue, but so far, it hasn't, and they've just made the rest of the boots really tight. Any ideas?
ProtonCharger liked this
I'll elaborate. With taller boots, in this case combat boots, its key to wear good thick socks. I reccommend vermont darn tough wool hiking socks, preferrably calf length. This will give you the moisure elimination you need, and a bit more support. The second part is in lacing. The key is to completely unlace the boot, and with your foot inside, rest the boot on the heel so your hell is where it needs to be, and lace it good and snug. With boots like these, break in takes time. Some drill sergeants say to taoe a shower in them so the water softens them up. I prefer to just walk in them. If you only wear them at cons, its gonna take a long time to break them in. So 0ut them in your shoe rotation. If your heel is prone to blisters, go get a pack of moleskin patches at walgreens or whatever, and it will greatly reduce firction. But again, good thick wool socks and good lacing should help.
Carpeteria wrote:I have a pair of Corcorans that I can hardly wear. The size in length and width is fine, but my issue, strangely enough, is with the heel - when I'm stepping down in them, there's still room for my heel, and my feet sort of default slide forward a bit, which causes a lot of rubbing between my heel and the back of the boots. That's obviously an issue, and it usually results in some gory aftermath if I wear them for extended lengths of time. I'm not sure if breaking them in more will help or not?

Mine aren't remotely as shiny and new as that - they're beaten to hell. They get the job done, but I'd like to be able to wear the Corcorans for authenticity's sake. I've tried insoles/lifts to see if that fixes the heel issue, but so far, it hasn't, and they've just made the rest of the boots really tight. Any ideas?
What people who encounter this issue can do is skip a cross over between a pair of eyelets in the lacing. Just find the spot at the ankle that feels best. I have mine skip the lacing cross at eyelets 5-6. I makes the heel sit better and the leather around the ankle kinda floats around the ankle. It's an old military trick for breaking in new boots.
I managed a pair of Corcorans for like 30 bucks that are in my size and fit really well. They're the proper jump buits but don't have the side zippers. Eventually I'll get around to getting them to a cobbler and fixed up right.
I got lucky at a surplus store and found these beauties. They needed new heels when I found them but that was easily fixed for 30 bucks. They have a tag at the bottom that reads Black Bird made in Korea. They look pretty close to me, plus they are lined inside so they will be quite functional as an every day boot when we move to Japan in December.

Carpeteria wrote:Thanks for the info, guys - I had heard of the water treatment thing before, but not the lacing - I had sort of done the lacing thing backwards (meaning starting tight and then loosening once they were on). I'll mess around and hopefully get them working.
I went for a walk after I filled my new boots with water. they are beyond comfortable now. if you do skip lacing across where the boots bends it will help with the problem. try googling "ladder lacing" . It is how we used to lace our boots when I worked for the forest service. it kept them tight while not causing to much pain.

Hope that helps

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]