Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Not sure if this has been noted yet, but Emily Lind's BTS Instagram post shows a scene of Phoebe and Melody taking a subway journey together: https://www.instagram.com/p/C44SHb7tuR6/
So, is using promotional material in trailers and posters that never show up in the actual movie gonna be a new thing by the studios?

gamera1968, Ectopher liked this
gerard55 wrote:Gruberson and the Spengler's being on top of a roof wearing the red jackets with gruberson going 'oh ho ho' was removed entirely.
Do we think this scene was replaced with Trevor / Lucky on the rooftop as Garraka approaches?

We know there were extensive cuts, question is was this to create a definitive version of the movie as with Afterlife… or was this purely to reduce the theatrical runtime as with ATC2016 and will the extended version surface on the home release? I’m leaning towards the latter due to the sheer volume and stuff like Lars’ reaction to being slimed being shown in promo but not the movie itself.

Edit: Hmmm. From Gil. As with Afterlife, we know there are tons more than “a couple”:

There's only a couple of deleted scenes. Unfortunately, they're great scenes, so it's really hard to do, but they were really necessary to cut for shape and flow. They were fantastic scenes that came sort of too late in the film, when you really wanted to watch the preparations for the final siege on the firehouse come together. I'm definitely including them in whatever extra material’s out later on because I'm proud of the scenes.

I'm proud of the performances in them, I'm proud of the directing in them, and I want audiences who are looking for an expanded experience with this film to be able to have those scenes, to be able to assess how they would have fit into the whole. But there's not too many of them, and when you watch them you realize that the film is better for them having stood to the side for the greater good."
https://collider.com/ghostbusters-froze ... qtYvgX5bSg
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 24th, 2024, 4:48 pm
There's only a couple of deleted scenes. Unfortunately, they're great scenes, so it's really hard to do, but they were really necessary to cut for shape and flow. They were fantastic scenes that came sort of too late in the film, when you really wanted to watch the preparations for the final siege on the firehouse come together. I'm definitely including them in whatever extra material’s out later on because I'm proud of the scenes.

I'm proud of the performances in them, I'm proud of the directing in them, and I want audiences who are looking for an expanded experience with this film to be able to have those scenes, to be able to assess how they would have fit into the whole. But there's not too many of them, and when you watch them you realize that the film is better for them having stood to the side for the greater good."
https://collider.com/ghostbusters-froze ... qtYvgX5bSg
For those who don't click through, Kenan also says there will not be an extended cut on the home release, much like Reitman said for Afterlife.
gamera1968 liked this
tylergfoster wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:27 pm For those who don't click through, Kenan also says there will not be an extended cut on the home release, much like Reitman said for Afterlife.
Kudos to anyone who's around for the 80th anniversary Mega Ultimate Collection where the assembly cuts of both will be released for the first time. :P
robbritton, Kingpin, Ectopher and 1 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:52 pm
tylergfoster wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:27 pm For those who don't click through, Kenan also says there will not be an extended cut on the home release, much like Reitman said for Afterlife.
Kudos to anyone who's around for the 80th anniversary Mega Ultimate Collection where the assembly cuts of both will be released for the first time. :P
I may be just a head in a jar, but I'll be there! XD
mrmichaelt liked this
Reposting this comment from the talkback thread about the Venkman/Grooberson scene in front of the frozen containment unit:
tylergfoster wrote: March 25th, 2024, 11:49 amI'm realizing that almost the entire movie when we see Gary out of uniform, he's wearing the same clothing: an orange-ish plaid shirt, which you can see in the photo under his sweaters. Venkman is introduced in the film at the lab interviewing Nadeem, and then later Nadeem is at the firehouse. So maybe Venkman interviews Nadeem, and then when he's done, accompanies him to the firehouse, and at that point chats with Gary in the basement. Meanwhile, this would be when Phoebe is now at the lab getting into the extractor.
In regard to "Whatever was filmed outside the Community Medical Center of Elmhurst Hospital at 80th Street and 41st Avenue in Queens on June 14, 2023," I'd have to rewatch but I think it might have been the exterior of Nadeem's apartment complex if there is such a shot. During the battle, Nadeem offers to go back to Queens - inferring that's where he lives.
Kingpin liked this
Today I learned that Venkman was present in the first Research Center scene. You can see him standing behind Grooberson and Callie, when they take a look into Pukeys enclosure, in the international trailer. You can spot him in the final movie too, standing next too Phoebe, in one of her close ups. I wonder what his introduction was like and why he was removed.
Dad in the Water wrote:Today I learned that Venkman was present in the first Research Center scene. You can see him standing behind Grooberson and Callie, when they take a look into Pukeys enclosure, in the international trailer. You can spot him in the final movie too, standing next too Phoebe, in one of her close ups. I wonder what his introduction was like and why he was removed.
If I had to venture a guess, this scene was removed/edited for one of two reasons:

1) The studio wanted this movie to be under 2 hours, and this scene was trimmed down to shave some minutes off of the clock; or
2) When this scene was originally shot, there was a problem of some sort that wasn't caught until the editing process and they either couldn't get Murray to do the reshoot, or there wasn't enough time to do a reshoot.
Dad in the Water wrote: March 26th, 2024, 1:07 pm Today I learned that Venkman was present in the first Research Center scene. You can see him standing behind Grooberson and Callie, when they take a look into Pukeys enclosure, in the international trailer. You can spot him in the final movie too, standing next too Phoebe, in one of her close ups. I wonder what his introduction was like and why he was removed.
I thought that was Lars.
Hairy Biker wrote: March 26th, 2024, 5:22 pm
Dad in the Water wrote: March 26th, 2024, 4:04 pm Lars is there too. But the guy (Venkman for sure) is not wearing glasses and has light grey hair.
You're right! I just rewatched it. Lars is behind Ray, Venkman is in front of Ray.
Wait!
Venkman was also there in the research lab with the Spenglers and Gary?
How did I not see him, not once, but twice?
@Hairy Biker - Okay, thanks for the reply! Another cut scene, it would seem.
Hairy Biker liked this
Dad in the Water wrote: March 26th, 2024, 1:07 pm Today I learned that Venkman was present in the first Research Center scene. You can see him standing behind Grooberson and Callie, when they take a look into Pukeys enclosure, in the international trailer. You can spot him in the final movie too, standing next too Phoebe, in one of her close ups. I wonder what his introduction was like and why he was removed.
From this, since he does have a scene with Nadeem in the finished film that takes place in said lab, I think it's safe to extrapolate that the film split apart the lab scene. I myself noted in my longer thoughts that it was sort of strange that the first Venkman scene had no bookends, a little intro and outro to make it seem more organic, and this arguably explains that.

If I had to guess, here's what I would speculate, although I've only seen the movie once, so I don't remember if any of the on-screen dialogue (as in, the actor speaking is on-camera and seen speaking, so the line is not ADR) contradicts this:

Gary and Callie call the original Ghostbusters to the firehouse because of what's going on with the containment unit. This leads to Gary and Venkman's deleted chat in the basement. After that, they go upstairs, where Ray explains The Death Chill, and we have that deleted scene from most of the trailers ("Like, literally, scared to death?"). At the end of Ray's spiel, Gary and Callie ask what the plan is, which is when Winston takes all of them to the Paranormal Research Lab (note that Aykroyd can be seen in the background wearing the same denim jacket, and Gary and Callie have on the same clothes). Trevor and Lucky then go to Nadeem's apartment, where they see the secret room. They retrieve Nadeem, bring him back to the lab, and Venkman interrogates Nadeem as seen in the final cut.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: March 27th, 2024, 7:55 pm "We had a more expansive concept earlier on where a lot of the action at the beginning of the third act spilled out much wider."
https://www.thewrap.com/ghostbusters-fr ... interview/

Wonder if he means there was ghosts run rampant montage a la GB1 and GB2.
He says it was only a concept, but to me this sounds like it's in keeping with the chopped up and rearranged bits with the PRC. If all of those scenes are in a sequence, then it could make it so the "state of emergency" that kicks in around the movie's final third is more like the movie's final two-thirds. But that's also a subjective interpretation of "wider," which could mean wider in-world or just wider in terms how much of the script the "ending" took up.
mrmichaelt wrote: March 20th, 2024, 11:41 pm Like I did for Afterlife, this will be a thread about documenting the deleted scenes. Paul Rudoff has started with a list so I'm working off that in starting this thread. So if anyone remembers all those trailers, TV spots, online spots, and clips that didn't make it into the movie in theaters or you found interviews where the cast and crew lists a deleted scene, this is the place to post them. I will try to keep a 'master list' handy in this original post. Once I see the movie, I'll reorganize things.

--What we know--

--Deleted Scenes seen in previews, B-roll, special features, books--

SEWER DRAGON
Trimmed - Manhole cover landing in the road during the Sewer Dragon chase.
Source: Final Trailer (3/1/24), screengrab

MAYOR'S OFFICE
Trimmed - Voice-over from Peck: "They called themselves Ghostbusters. According to these hacks, they saved the world. No eyewitnesses. And who is found to carry the torch? Descendants of Egon Spengler." and the end of the scene ("Overruled." "Sustained.")
Source: Domestic Trailer (1/29/24)

BOOKSTORE
Trimmed - Exterior shot of people walking into Ray's Occult Books to sell their possessed items
Source: International Trailer (1/29/24), screengrab

Trimmed - Some of Aykroyd's material at Ray's Occult: "Here, we pay top dollar for your possessed possessions" and "I've never seen anything like this...at all."
Source: International Trailer (1/29/24)

Alternate - Kumail's "Have it for forty" is also different in the film, where he says something to the effect of, "You can have everything in the box for forty bucks."

ATTIC
Deleted - Shot of Trevor shooting at Slimer who is off-screen
Source:

Deleted - Trevor finding the vintage magazine.
Source: Domestic Trailer (1/29/24), screengrab

FIREHOUSE (Containment Unit walls are broken)
Alternate - Gary and Callie examining the frozen containment unit in the basement. (alternate angle)
Source: promotional still

Deleted - Gary and Peter in the basement surrounded by heaters. Gary asks Peter what he would have done "back in the day". He replies, "I would have showered, and shaved, and hit the clubs." Gary sarcastically comments, "That was really helpful. Thank you."
Source: promotional still, TV spot (fourth)

PRC INTRO
Trimmed - Peter being present during introduction to Paranormal Research Center and Pukey intro
Source: trailer

Deleted - Phosphor replaced with Bonesy.
Source: Doug

LIBRARY
Trimmed - Ray telling Phoebe and Podcast, "Grab your juice boxes."
Source: TV spot (fourth)

Deleted - Hubert guiding Ray, Phoebe, and Podcast to the hidden area of the library in an elevator.
Source: Teaser Trailer (11/8/23), screengrab

Alternate - Photos of stone reliefs documenting Garraka's history being unfolded by Hubert in the library. (In the final film, his history is done as an animation.)
Source: Japanese Trailer (2/28/24), screengrab

LAB (pre-Garakka)
Deleted - Lars's line "Ever since you brought in this orb, strange things have been occurring."

DEEP FREEZE
Deleted - Ray telling Gary and Callie about Death Chill in kitchen, and Grooberson and Callie are being informed of the Death Chill ("Like, literally scared to death?" "That's messed up."). Trevor's trimmed line, "You know, I wasn't sure about you guys wanting to move to this place. Garbage, ghosts, garbage ghosts..." is potentially also from this scene, as it is presumably a reference to what happens at the library. Trevor's "Do we have a chopper?"
Source: Teaser Trailer (11/8/23), Domestic Trailer (1/29/24),

Trimmed - Gary sings the Ghostbusters song at the tail end of the scene with him and Callie in the bedroom.
Source: "Fight" TV spot, clip

Deleted - At the start is a shot of Gary saying, "We ain’t afraid of no ghost" as he walks out of the bedroom.
Source: "Everything in This Place is Haunted" social media ad (3/22/2024)

Deleted - Traffic and people freezing on the streets of Eldridge and Broome, which was filmed on June 10 & 11, 2023. Extras running and pretending to be cold, with gusts of wind being produced by big fans and leaf blowers, and a little girl holding an ice cream cone.
Source: Spook Central

Deleted - Close up of teens in the Wonder Wheel cabin at Coney Island.

LAB (Garakka attack)
Alternate - Lucky yells "Get away from her!" but in the movie yells "Hey, asshole!"
Source:

Deleted - Lucky being frozen + freezing right up to her eyeball.

FINALE

Deleted - Scenes before the preparations for the final siege on the firehouse come together
Source: Collider, Gil Kenan

Trimmed - Trevor asking Lars, "Wait, do we even have weapons?" "We have lots of weapons."
Source: TV spot (second)

Deleted - The family on the firehouse roof in parkas. (Only Trevor and Lucky go up there.)

Trimmed - Trevor examining a string of Slimer's ectoplasm dripping from the ceiling.
Source: promotional still

Trimmed - Lars saying "Oh no!" and then ending up on the floor covered in Pukey's ectoplasm
Source: TV spot (third)

Alternate - When Death Chill creeps up to Firehouse in trailer, No Ghost sign is added.
Source: Teaser Trailer (11/8/23)

Deleted - Gary, Callie and Phoebe at window. Callie firing out the window
Source: Teaser Trailer (11/8/23),

Deleted - Ray says "no point trappin' we be zappin'" (?)
Source: B-roll

Trimmed - Ray piloting the drone trap. Peter says "That was some talent" at end of Garakka fight
Source: "Raving" TV spot

UNKNOWN
Deleted - Whatever was filmed outside the Community Medical Center of Elmhurst Hospital at 80th Street and 41st Avenue in Queens on June 14, 2023.

Deleted - Kids playing in an opened fire hydrant. (also filmed on Eldridge and Broome)

Deleted - Janine answering the phone with her trademark line, "Ghostbusters. Whadda ya want?" and pressing the "We Got One" button on her desk.
Source: Domestic Trailer (1/29/24), screengrab and Final Trailer (3/1/24), screengrab

Deleted/alternate - Winston's v/o: "All over New York City, ghost attacks are on the rise, and we are the only ones equipped to fight back." Note that this flows so well into the "Welcome to the new Paranormal Research Center. We've spent 40 years trapping them..." bit that is an alternate to what's in the film that I wouldn't be surprised if this was voice-over recorded just for the trailer.
Source: International Trailer (1/30/24)

Deleted - Phoebe and Melody take the subway.
Source: Emily Lind instagram

Deleted - More Pukey. "There were some other shots done of Pukey that diddnt make the Final Cut"
Source: Doug, GBFans post

--Digital erasures/additions/changes in Trailers/Movie--

--Not Filmed--

"We had a more expansive concept earlier on where a lot of the action at the beginning of the third act spilled out much wider."
Source: The Wrap

--Unknown if Filmed--

Nadeem's Dadi is credited in end credits. Had a cut scene?

Doll Owner is credited in end credits. Had a cut scene after Harold's wife?
Yes Phosphor we did other shots and scenes , but didn’t make the Final Cut , also lots of hammer of truth shots smashing various items in the queue .
Will be interesting to see if any of these make it to the scenes that Gill wants to add to a making of /deleted scenes . Also a great effect of the pink mood slime in Ray’s basement did not make it in . Was SO looking forward to seeing that .
RedSpecial, mrmichaelt liked this
gamera1968 wrote:
Hairy Biker wrote: March 26th, 2024, 5:22 pm You're right! I just rewatched it. Lars is behind Ray, Venkman is in front of Ray.
Wait!
Weirdly, we had a couple of those scenes in VFX. The job was to do a split screens and remove Venkman from the shots. I thought it was just something to do with them wanting a different performance patched in but it would seem that they just wanted him gone.
tylergfoster liked this
Croesus wrote: April 2nd, 2024, 5:41 pm
gamera1968 wrote:
Wait!
Weirdly, we had a couple of those scenes in VFX. The job was to do a split screens and remove Venkman from the shots. I thought it was just something to do with them wanting a different performance patched in but it would seem that they just wanted him gone.
Of anything I hope to learn from the deleted scenes on the eventual disc, it's what Venkman's original introduction and other bits in the movie were.

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]

Cool, should work fine for you. Let me know how it[…]