By JacqueTheDoor
freakmanultra wrote: March 9th, 2023, 10:51 pm Is there a version of this code that uses the standard LED from the CD kit instead of the neopixles? I can't afford to spend any more money on this project. My wife would kill me.

Thanks!
Was just about to ask this myself, I tried to give it a go but I think I've ended up breaking the trap messing with the code, OG CD doesn't even work now
By gpstar
freakmanultra wrote: March 9th, 2023, 10:51 pm Is there a version of this code that uses the standard LED from the CD kit instead of the neopixles? I can't afford to spend any more money on this project. My wife would kill me.

Thanks!
Sorry there is not, the lighting section would need to be updated to use the standard LEDs. You could probably cut down on some extra parts when not using the neopixels to cut costs some more, but the code would need to be reworked.
By JacqueTheDoor
gpstar wrote: March 8th, 2022, 9:15 am I just finished building a ghost trap based on Sean Charlesworth's 3D printed design and EctoLabs idea of using NeoPixel jewels. I thought I would share my code for anybody to benefit from. Several changes were made such as:

-The rear LED will fade/pulse/dim from low/high/low like in the movie instead of the turning on/off/on after there capture sequence. (You will need to move the rear led to digital i/o #3 pin on the music maker board)
-Modified door closure timings (had issue with original code where on a rare occasion they would close in on each other), there were other small misc timing issues that I changed.
-Modified the smoke pump to synchronise with the door closure better, and only run during the capture sequence sound effects.
-Modified the startup sequence to play the startup sound when the bargraph LED starts it's flash sequence.
-During the opening sequence of the trap, a huge volume of white light is emitted out before settling down to the purple/strobe effect.
-During the capture sequence, I added some slight subtle colour changes (going from light yellow to purple to white)
-Added some purple sparks to the blue spark sequence.

Also, if you are suffering from a static noise sound when the trap is turned on for a few seconds before it goes away, I solved the issue by enabling +12db and +6db on the music maker board.

Also to note, if you are doing a build using NeoPixel Jewels, as mentioned by EctoLabs, connect them to digital i/o #5 pin and move the door motors to digital i/o pin #9 (right motor) and digital i/o pin #10 (left motor), and move the rear led from analog i/o pin #1 to digital i/o pin #3

code:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

When I go to verify the code I get the following error
Used: /Users/jacquesmith
exit status 1
'strip' was not declared in this scope

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
By gpstar
JacqueTheDoor wrote: March 20th, 2023, 6:46 am
gpstar wrote: March 8th, 2022, 9:15 am I just finished building a ghost trap based on Sean Charlesworth's 3D printed design and EctoLabs idea of using NeoPixel jewels. I thought I would share my code for anybody to benefit from. Several changes were made such as:

-The rear LED will fade/pulse/dim from low/high/low like in the movie instead of the turning on/off/on after there capture sequence. (You will need to move the rear led to digital i/o #3 pin on the music maker board)
-Modified door closure timings (had issue with original code where on a rare occasion they would close in on each other), there were other small misc timing issues that I changed.
-Modified the smoke pump to synchronise with the door closure better, and only run during the capture sequence sound effects.
-Modified the startup sequence to play the startup sound when the bargraph LED starts it's flash sequence.
-During the opening sequence of the trap, a huge volume of white light is emitted out before settling down to the purple/strobe effect.
-During the capture sequence, I added some slight subtle colour changes (going from light yellow to purple to white)
-Added some purple sparks to the blue spark sequence.

Also, if you are suffering from a static noise sound when the trap is turned on for a few seconds before it goes away, I solved the issue by enabling +12db and +6db on the music maker board.

Also to note, if you are doing a build using NeoPixel Jewels, as mentioned by EctoLabs, connect them to digital i/o #5 pin and move the door motors to digital i/o pin #9 (right motor) and digital i/o pin #10 (left motor), and move the rear led from analog i/o pin #1 to digital i/o pin #3

code:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

When I go to verify the code I get the following error
Used: /Users/jacquesmith
exit status 1
'strip' was not declared in this scope

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
I assume you are using the older modified CD code for a Arduino Uno? Do you have the adafruit neopixel library installed?
By JacqueTheDoor
Yeah I believe it’s V2.0 the code,
I have the neopixel library and the other library you say to install, I’ve put the servos on pin 9 and 10 and they work, I’ve put the rear LED on 3 and I’m waiting for the Neopixel lights to come in so I can wire them up to pin 5. The V1 that EctoLabs did works fine, however to get the rear light to pulse nothing happens, so I tried your V2.0 code and then got that error message
By gpstar
JacqueTheDoor wrote: March 20th, 2023, 11:23 am Yeah I believe it’s V2.0 the code,
I have the neopixel library and the other library you say to install, I’ve put the servos on pin 9 and 10 and they work, I’ve put the rear LED on 3 and I’m waiting for the Neopixel lights to come in so I can wire them up to pin 5. The V1 that EctoLabs did works fine, however to get the rear light to pulse nothing happens, so I tried your V2.0 code and then got that error message
Can you check line #93 to make sure strip is defined?
By The_Y33TER
gpstar wrote: March 15th, 2022, 4:26 am A little update, I have been having trouble with the hose and it shorting the trap causing it to operate due to the spring/plunger inside the female ends of the hose. The original guide says to use electrical tape or heat shrink wrap to isolate the spring from touching the metal connector.

I ended up designing a insert to be 3D printed which fits into the hose connectors to isolate the spring/plunger.

I will link my stl file for those who wish to use it on there builds. I printed mine at 0.1mm and slowed my printing speed by half, as the walls are very thin. You may have to slightly sand/trim the bottom edges to make it fit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MEvOdN ... sp=sharing

Next I am going to redo most of the code and remove the delays and use the millisecond library instead to make the trap more responsive like I did for the end captured sequence for the red led. I am going to think about implementing the rotary encoder switch to control perhaps the volume, and maybe think about adding another rotary encoder switch to the black knob on the other side of the trap to perhaps adjust the modes (84 mode, 2016 mode, etc).
2016 mode? Would it use the sounds from ATC or what?
By JacqueTheDoor
gpstar wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:40 pm
JacqueTheDoor wrote: March 20th, 2023, 11:23 am Yeah I believe it’s V2.0 the code,
Can you check line #93 to make sure strip is defined?
It is there, I think I had to paste something in that was missing from another code, but everything works now as it should, good work on the code and appreciate the replies
gpstar liked this
By Mark B
EDIT: Found it! The Neopixel Ground Wire wasn't making good contact to the power board. All good now!

Alright I'm getting closer! Trap is in the process of final assembly and the electronics worked great in "spaghetti mode" on the bench. However, after putting them in the trap , everything works EXCEPT the NeoPixels glow dim red instead of bright white when executing a mode. I've checked all my wiring and it appears correct. I just can't figure out why it's firing a dim red instead of the bright white that it was doing earlier. I reflashed the Metro Mini but that didn't have any impact. Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this??
By Mark B
So I'm a little confused as to where I need to make the wire cut in the trap for the new pedal wiring. Am I correct in assuming (based on the uploaded image) that I should cut between the 6 PIN JST and the 2 pin JST leaving the rotary switch going to GPIO 5 and 3V on the MP3 Shield? And then connecting the foster wires to ground and Shield Pin #5?
By adamjarvis
I have built 2 Charles worth Traps and wish I would have seen your thread about this BEFORE I finished the second trap about 8 months ago. I think I want to tear into one and UPGRADE it to follow your changes. So the very first step is to buy all the appropriate things:

This is the list I have. Did I miss anything?

Neopixel Jewels (which ones, saw three versions listed on Adafruit)
Mega Protoshield (PID192)
Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 5V/16 MHz (PID2378)
Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver - I2C interface - PCA9685 (PID: 815)
Rotary Encoder + Extras (PID: 377)
Mini 8-Way Rotary Selector Switch - SP8T (PID: 2925)

Also, I know the instructions are listed in this thread, but is there a PDF or a downloadable guide for your upgrades? I must say this is a awesome trap and I am excited to do this upgrade.
By Mark B
I think you pretty much covered it, the details in this thread (and pictures) are very helpful. I finally finished mine and all is working perfectly. I opted to not use the protoshield and just mounted everything directly to the mega and mp3 shield, saved me some space in the trap and gave me a few less failure points (my soldering skills are just average.....lol).

Side note, I may end up modifying my trap hose and connectors based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqohsdSTQrc as I still have some connection issues with the original Charlesworth method.....That damn spring inside is hard to isolate and I can't get it to fit inside the insert that was posted on this thread.
By adamjarvis
Okay, so I am no wiring guru. I fumbled my way through the first go around. I have read and re-read this post a couple times over and made sure I have ordered the parts I need. Then I decided I want the pedal light to flash...I mean if your gonna go BIG....Might as well have all the bells and whistles. Right??

so in reference to this:

Pedal side:
Replace the existing off - (on) switch provided by Charlesworth for a new one that is on - (off). You can get this from mouser for just under $3, the part number is: 642-MBZ101A01A02X01

Can a STDP roller switch be used? (The one with three prongs on the bottom essentially hooking up the two outer prongs leaving the middle prong not connected to anything.
By adamjarvis
Okay...so I think I may have goofed something up. I have completed everything following the guide up to the steps to make the LED on the pedal to flash. I am waiting on the new switch to complete this step. I wanted to see if everything is working thus far. I powered on the switch by the handle and the only thing that happens is the red led on the LIPO battery board flashes. The mega board doesn't power on and there are no sounds. I am using coded V3.1

Also, does the code already have the two library's included in it, or do I need to add those library's to the code when writing the code to the mega?? Also, do the code for the Mega and the Metro mini need to be in the same tab or in separate tab?
By adamjarvis
Okay, I definitely goofed something up. I unplugged the neopixels and now I have power and sounds. I clearly goofed up the neopixels.

When I power it on with the switch, it makes the boot up sound then immediately activates the front led and the red led blinks like the end of the trapping sequence. I can use the rotary switch and cycle the modes and the proper LEDs light up on the front of the unit. The servos do not activate when I press the right button in any mode. Also, when I twist the right knob, it doesn't change the volume level.

That being said, will having the neopixels unplugged cause it to skip through some of the sequences in correctly? One thing I have NOT done yet is make the changes to allow the pedal light to flash. Could this be part of the issue as well?
By DaddyDave
I was just looking at some old production photos of Dan Aykroyd holding a ghost trap, and noticed a silver piece on the trap right next to the door. Can anybody tell me what this piece is? Image
By tobycj
DaddyDave wrote: November 1st, 2023, 6:30 pm I was just looking at some old production photos of Dan Aykroyd holding a ghost trap, and noticed a silver piece on the trap right next to the door. Can anybody tell me what this piece is? Image
It was only on that one trap (sometimes called the "yellow rod" trap as in some early scenes the side rods were yellow, not red), and the consensus seems to be that was it part of the design to hold the pedal in place on top of the trap. You can see how the pedal was supposed to be attached to the trap on the foam stunt trap, in The Ghostbusters Reference Library, but was presumably abandoned as it didn't work.
By adamjarvis
Okay so here we go.

Using version 3.1

I can’t get my doors to open at all. I have double a triple checked the wires to make sure they are right. But I did notice and wonder if maybe the board is not getting power? There is a green led light that lights up next to the middle ground rail but it looks like the led on the left side of the board doesn’t light up. (Right to the left of 16x) Is it supposed to to indicate power to the board? Does anyone see anything that looks wrong from my pic?

Next-

- The rotary switch does not control the volume up or down. Any ideas here?
- 1984 with smoke AND without smoke are not working correctly. The bargraph flickers super quickly, the lights up and the red led flashes like it would at the end of the sequence. I am wondering if there is a short somewhere in the switch.

Any thoughts or insight would be helpful. I’ve been racking my brain trying to solve this.
By adamjarvis
Already friends and fans!! I got it all complete I think for now.

There is a couple things I couldn’t get to work correctly. I think it’s my soldering/wiring skills and maybe a parts issue more than anything.

a) - I couldn’t get to work is the volume knob. I didn’t change the knob out for a knew one and just used the one on the original CD trap and wired it following the instructions.

b) - I can’t get ‘84 mode with smoke and ‘84 mode without smoke to work consistently. The bargraph leds flash very briefly and then the it’s lights up like the end of the trapping sequence including the single yellow led and red led on the rear of the trap. Both ‘89 modes and the green modes function normally 100% of the time. I also think that this might be a switch issue cause it’s super sensitive to the touch at times.

Overall, this was a great modification and I really enjoyed it!
By grz82
Is there a wiring diagram anywhere? I saw a mention of one possibly being posted by gpstar... I've got my trap wired up and there are several issues. I'm getting closer with each attempt but tracing the wirings in the pics is hurting my brain!

Thanks!
By adamjarvis
No specific step by step wiring guide. I just followed the post in this thread. What are you experiencing? Can you post pictures of your trap and what you have completed so far?
grz82 liked this
By grz82
I'll post some pics tomorrow, about to call it a night. I started troubleshooting so I have some of the wiring removed. I can power the trap from both the usb and the power boost. The servo controller and the other arduino have power. I used a nano in place of a metro mini.

I get the startup audio and the bargraph chasing in red like I'm supposed to. I can get all of the neopixel jewels to glow solid white if i push in the rotary encoder. I had the yellow LED working, now it's not. The red LED on the rear of the trap works.

I was using ver 2.2 of the code, I'm going with 3.1 tomorrow. I couldn't find where I saved it, but I found it. Question regarding ver 3.1, I'm assuming I'll also have to load the code for the neopixels to the nano? That will probably solve the lights if thats the case.
By adamjarvis
Correct. I also tried to put the code for the neopixels on the mega. It needs to go on the neopixel controller. I would start there and see what that fixes. Check all your wires and make sure they are secure. I had a couple that broke loose from all the moving trying to sort out issues.
grz82 liked this

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]