Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
Not sure if this is where I should be posting this but I can't find anything about this other than a 3 post thread on here and a post on reddit. The lights in the tube have started to flash rainbows and get stuck when I use the wand. It's different every time and I think I know what's wrong but I don't want to break it, then have to pay for a new one. So all I'm asking for is just a quick diagram or video of how to fix this issue without damaging any internals.
Ok, I had 6 of these. Like 3 of them had this issue. They would flash rainbow and then eventually turn off.

It's the cable inside that powers the leds in the barrel. It gets pinched. The V2 (orange tip) fixed this with a rubber sheath, but the V2 has it's own problems (the barrel doesn't stay retracted, which is a lot harder to fix).

In this case simply drill out the thin plastic covering the screws on the bottom, unscrew them and fix the pinched cable, problem solved.

PS: Most people usually release the barrel slowly with their hand on these, and don't let it slam against the stop.

This picture you posted brought back so many memories. This problem is so common in these.
Reson liked this
I had the same thing happen on my V1 wand. On top of that, some of the adhesive from the tape inside seemed to have covered the severed wires in a ton of goo, so I had to clean those up before I could fix them. Haven't had a problem since, and I ended up changing out the spring for the pop mechanism for a slightly weaker on, just to avoid future issues (I also didn't like how the original made the barrel bounce a bit too much for my liking).
One time wrote: January 18th, 2023, 2:20 pm Ok, I had 6 of these. Like 3 of them had this issue. They would flash rainbow and then eventually turn off.

It's the cable inside that powers the leds in the barrel. It gets pinched. The V2 (orange tip) fixed this with a rubber sheath, but the V2 has it's own problems (the barrel doesn't stay retracted, which is a lot harder to fix).

In this case simply drill out the thin plastic covering the screws on the bottom, unscrew them and fix the pinched cable, problem solved.

PS: Most people usually release the barrel slowly with their hand on these, and don't let it slam against the stop.

This picture you posted brought back so many memories. This problem is so common in these.
Hey there, this sounds like a relatively easy fix just by your description. I have never taken apart or modded any GB stuff yet like this and am having the exact same issue described here (and elsewhere online). Can you or anyone else help me out with a bit more step by step or if there's any video that may help with this? I was so disappointed when I tested it out before a Halloween party and saw my wand was not working correctly with the lights.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. It's mostly been sitting on the shelf or the pack since I had it and I did pop it out at times but never a ton and never saw this issue until now.
One time wrote: November 10th, 2023, 9:18 am Here you go:

At 37:50s
Thanks. This looks very detailed. I skimmed through a bit to get to the wand part and will have to watch closely to see which wire specifically is the problem one. This looks like it's very educational in general and I hope doing the fix can be done by a relative beginner. Appreciate the help! If any more tips or tricks you can think of I'm all ears. Thanks!

Oops - I somehow missed that you specifically gave me the timestamp for opening it up. Now to look for the specific wire...found it about an hour in. Awesome. Thanks again!

Will maybe post here or in a new thread once I actually get my wand open. Going to be careful with that.
B-Rad liked this
The wires on mine were extremely fragile, & I think I fried the LEDs while trying to replace a section of those wires, since hooking up the connections no longer worked after a certain point (maybe I left the batteries in while troubleshooting & shorted something out. Oops) So be extra careful if you end up having to do that!
itrainmonkeys wrote: November 10th, 2023, 4:07 pm
One time wrote: November 10th, 2023, 9:18 am Here you go:

At 37:50s
Thanks. This looks very detailed. I skimmed through a bit to get to the wand part and will have to watch closely to see which wire specifically is the problem one. This looks like it's very educational in general and I hope doing the fix can be done by a relative beginner. Appreciate the help! If any more tips or tricks you can think of I'm all ears. Thanks!

Oops - I somehow missed that you specifically gave me the timestamp for opening it up. Now to look for the specific wire...found it about an hour in. Awesome. Thanks again!

Will maybe post here or in a new thread once I actually get my wand open. Going to be careful with that.
I'll be on the look out for it! This hasn't happened to my non-orange tip wanted yet, at least the last time I had it out it was fine but I want to fix the issue before it happens. I was about to ask about this very subject soon since I asked on the haslb mod group on facebook and no one had an answer.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]