Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Anyone discussed what the Afterlife modifications to the PP could have been in canon.

The thing was working fine in 84 with a halflife of 5000 years.

Why change it?

Only thing I can think of logically is that the mods enable kids to use it (less recoil?), or more stream power with less recoil? Unless I’m wrong and the modifications were already there before Phoebe tinkered with it.

What do others think?
My reckoning is the mods were Egon's efforts to boost the power of his Proton Pack so that it could take on Zuul or Vinz, enough of a boost to compensate for the absence of Ray, Peter and Winston even if it wasn't equivalent to four fully-functional Packs being operated at once.
gerard55, AMC78 liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 4th, 2021, 9:36 am My reckoning is the mods were Egon's efforts to boost the power of his Proton Pack so that it could take on Zuul or Vinz, enough of a boost to compensate for the absence of Ray, Peter and Winston even if it wasn't equivalent to four fully-functional Packs being operated at once.

Which actually makes sense, in the movie when Gozer is firing back at Pheobe at one point Gozers face is starting to burn, which doesn't even happen when she's being hit by 3 crossed streams (it only happens again when all 4 beams are hitting her). So it would seem either the spengler pack is more powerful, or possibly gozer was fatigued from having to uncross the streams so she's having a harder time against the single upgraded pack, or it was something to do with Egon manifesting that we don't see.

If it was the pack alone it would seem a bit odd muncher was able to get out of it and yet a supposed god is having trouble with it, hard to say really though the fatigue factor might play a part there.
jonogunn wrote: December 5th, 2021, 1:33 am Except there wasn’t really a power boost since they couldn’t even hold a lower level ghoul in muncher.

I thought there should have been a super one-off power up blast at the end of the movie while fighting Gozer and that would explain all the Mods
It was being used by a untrained 12 year old girl...
Kingpin liked this
Egon I would agree and you can see did some mods after he took most of the gear. I suspect without the BYC equipment options he had to settle for small town components which is why there's more wires and cables hanging off of it in addition to the taped grip and shotgun foregrip.
Bison256 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 7:38 am
jonogunn wrote: December 5th, 2021, 1:33 am Except there wasn’t really a power boost since they couldn’t even hold a lower level ghoul in muncher.

I thought there should have been a super one-off power up blast at the end of the movie while fighting Gozer and that would explain all the Mods
It was being used by a untrained 12 year old girl...
That doesn’t say much in a world with no explanation or consistency on what it takes to wrangle a ghost.

Would be interesting if they explain in the future movies what skills are needed. Maybe during a training segment by Winston to the new guys
We see that Egon helps her keep control of the pack when fighting Gozer. We can also assume that when she was busting Muncher she didn't know the full capabilities of the pack.

I see a lot of people looking for explanations of things that really don't need to be spelled out. We can just assume that she was less skilled when fighting Muncher, learned more about the pack's abilities, and with help from Egon was able to use it more effectively.

I get being a fan and liking explanations about things and connections and all that, but from a movie standpoint we can't have every little thing spelled out. Some things you just need to figure out.
Kingpin liked this
Wiggyof9 wrote: December 5th, 2021, 10:21 am We see that Egon helps her keep control of the pack when fighting Gozer. We can also assume that when she was busting Muncher she didn't know the full capabilities of the pack.

I see a lot of people looking for explanations of things that really don't need to be spelled out. We can just assume that she was less skilled when fighting Muncher, learned more about the pack's abilities, and with help from Egon was able to use it more effectively.

I get being a fan and liking explanations about things and connections and all that, but from a movie standpoint we can't have every little thing spelled out. Some things you just need to figure out.
I agree with what you say about it not being explained and can’t have everything spelled out. But I think those words also applies to assuming that it’s a skill factor since even in gb1 they were as unskilled as phoebe and it required 2 of them to grab slimmer. Not to mention they don’t really do much other than stand there with their wands pointed up.

Muncher getting away was obviously just a neat creative decision that was never done before.
Rewatching today. I feel it was heavily modified to take on Gozer solo.

At this point Egon was on a mission to trap it, but without any other busters. In the film they show the 3 '84 packs unable to handle Gozer ( she uncrossed the streams).

So in a scenario where egon was planning an encounter with Gozernit would need more power than the unmodified packs.

When fighting Goser. Ghost Egon is with her and the pack. He may have had a setting or button to boost it.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]