Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Davideverona wrote: November 16th, 2022, 4:50 am Didn't they already have some interiors from that thing Paul Feig filmed some years ago?
Indeed, as michael detailed... However it was dismantled after the filming wrapped, so it's unlikely they'll be using it for the new film.
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
Kingpin wrote: November 16th, 2022, 9:52 am
Davideverona wrote: November 16th, 2022, 4:50 am Didn't they already have some interiors from that thing Paul Feig filmed some years ago?
Indeed, as michael detailed... However it was dismantled after the filming wrapped, so it's unlikely they'll be using it for the new film.
Well, I didn't mean the physical set, but the measurements, blueprints, all the papers.
Alphagaia wrote: November 16th, 2022, 7:14 am They could film a whole chase with (Wr)ecto 1 through the Central Park and and no one would notice.

It's awesome technology and it would benefit the scale of the movie greatly.

I'm super excited if they gonna use it.
It’s very cool tech and it’s a neat replacement and alternative for pure green screen. But it shouldn’t be used as a crutch & it’s one of the major problems I have with Mandalorian. They use it on that show for everything and they really shouldn’t.

I would always, always, always rather them do something for real if they can. The Stagecraft thing works well for some things but does anyone notice how…flat Mandalorian feels sometimes? So many times when we see characters outdoors there’s very little depth and the blocking is just not very dynamic. You really see the difference when compared to Andor. Andor didn’t use Stagecraft and boy does it show. It feels so much more *real*.

One thing I really appreciated Jason attempting to do was doing things for real. It wasnt just lip service. So many directors go into a movie wanting to do things as practical as possible but one thing people don’t realize is how modern cameras and lighting systems have changed the way things are lit and ultimately look. Like I said, I appreciate Jason doing the terror dogs for real. But how is it they look better in 1984? Did they build them better back then? What’s the deal? Well..it’s lighting! But that’s a whole other can of worms I shouldn’t get started on lol. But that’s why you see how many movies replace practical elements with CGI. They think it’s going to look like the movies they grew up with when tungsten filaments and fast film stock & anamorphic lenses really shaped how we saw things on screen. Instead, now they light with harsh LED’s, they don’t use film at all(which means no grain & grain is texture), and anamorphic lenses are rarely used at all.

For anyone whose read the latest Ghostbusters “Making of Book” the cinematographer of GB84, Lazlo Kovacs, he and Ivan made an effort to not shoot Ghostbusters as a comedy & it’s such an essential creative and artistic choice that makes the movie what it is. They made the choice to shoot it like they would a drama. They got away from that a bit in GB2 and completely forgot about it in GB16. But Jason brought that element back to the franchise. I just wish he would’ve shot on film. And I hope he keeps going for the practical stuff as much as possible in the sequel.
deadderek liked this
Andor used Stagecraft a little different than Mandalorian, but it still used it:

https://www.cbr.com/andor-stagecraft-le ... star-wars/

That being said, it's a new technology that's still evolving and even if you didn't like it in The Mandalorian (I thought it was fine), the craft got better in the three shows after it, and things like set extensions using LED extension seem the way forward for more bang for your buck.

Especially if it means losing green screens and adding more realism to a scene. The way I see it, you are basically adding the effects in, in real time,just like puppetry, instead of afterwards like CGI.
I think Jason can combine the practical stuff like puppets, the CGI and LEDS in a such a flexible way that we can have a NY shoot just like the old days, while keeping a tight budget, but that's just my two cents.
mrmichaelt, Kingpin liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 16th, 2022, 1:53 pm Andor used Stagecraft a little different than Mandalorian, but it still used it:

https://www.cbr.com/andor-stagecraft-le ... star-wars/

That being said, it's a new technology that's still evolving and even if you didn't like it in The Mandalorian (I thought it was fine), the craft got better in the three shows after it, and things like set extensions using LED extension seem the way forward for more bang for your buck.

Especially if it means losing green screens and adding more realism to a scene. The way I see it, you are basically adding the effects in, in real time,just like puppetry, instead of afterwards like CGI.
I think Jason can combine the practical stuff like puppets, the CGI and LEDS in a such a flexible way that we can have a NY shoot just like the old days, while keeping a tight budget, but that's just my two cents.
Thanks for clarifying. What I meant is that they didn’t use the traditional Stagecraft “Volume”. Using LED walls like is mentioned in that article is exactly the kind of thing it should be used for. The great thing about it is the interactive lighting you get. Really cool stuff.

Using the technology for certain stuff is 100% a great idea and I agree it’s better than the alternative of green screens, especially for the actors. I just don’t know how I feel about it being used as a replacement for location work.

It’s like…here’s an example that comes to mind. Some of my favourite location work in fantasy film is Empire Strikes Back & Fellowship of the Ring. In Empire when they are on Hoth and outside you can tell they are freezing their asses off. It adds so much. Or that great shot in Fellowship with them on the mountain where the ring slips off Frodo’s neck & Boromir picks up. I mean…*chefs kiss*. It’s perfect. I can feel the cold in my bones just thinking about it. We don’t wanna lose stuff like that. That’s what I see when I hear about how much time and money this will and can save productions. It’s a double sided coin. Because A) not every movie can afford to go to those locations but B) the ones that can no longer will if it’ll save $$ and time and that’s a huge loss too. I duno. Like anything it’s a new tool in the toolbox and let’s just hope it’s used wisely.
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
Davideverona wrote: November 16th, 2022, 12:04 pm Well, I didn't mean the physical set, but the measurements, blueprints, all the papers.
The ATC crew did but they specified it wasn't built 1:1 to the LA Firehouse. But I'm sure with the photos, lidar scans and I assume the original city blueprints that they could gain access to, they might go for something even more accurate.
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
Rookie99 wrote: November 16th, 2022, 2:18 pm Why not just build a set to capture that feeling?
Now, Stagecraft for the ghost world or something, that I could see.
Off the top of my head, my first guess would be that they'd build a scaled-down set of the ground floor apparatus room (because the set doesn't need to be 2-and-a-bit-fire engines long like the real Los Angeles firehouse), with Stagecraft being set up outside the recreated front doors to give us the landscape of Tribeca.

It's possible that they might build half the set, and use Stagecraft to fill in the other half... Though given a lot of action happens near the doors (Ecto-1, and customers/Ghostbusters staff entering and leaving), and in the office area, I don't think they could easily get away with having it fill in a large section of the set.
RichardLess wrote: November 16th, 2022, 3:49 pm I just don’t know how I feel about it being used as a replacement for location work.
It's a brilliant cost-saver for a production that might not be able to film on location because of budget, technical or safety constraints (as you've noted)... Of to film pick-up shots if the first-takes on-location haven't worked out.

Picture the endless list of films that're supposedly shot in New York, or London, or Paris, but it comes across pretty clearly they were filmed in California, or Vancouver... Stagecraft can help to increase the immersion, make things more convincing.
Alphagaia liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 16th, 2022, 6:13 am
mrmichaelt wrote: November 16th, 2022, 5:28 am Yes, that's correct that for Answer The Call, they built a Firehouse set loosely based on the LA firehouse. Officially, it was "Set #1236" and was inside a warehouse at 625 University Avenue in Norwood, Massachusetts. Blueprints were drawn up by art director Lorin Fleming and 2 set designers.
Eric Reich talks about how Unreal Engine is an interesting technology at the start of the YHS interview, so I'm guessing a lot of the sets will be virtual just like the Mandalorian. Interesting. Would make shooting in NY a lot easier and cheaper as well!
11/17: Definitely one way to keep a lot of leaks from happening if it's all in-studio for sure.

11/26: Ray Parker Jr. Think the studio is trying to bury the theme song

I'm not sure if this will affect the next film, I know Jason won't let it die off since he's a fanboy like us. I think maybe it's because he's charging too much to use it? The game featured the song once too at the beginning and then when you jump back into the game it skips it entirely to continue your progress. One thing I've noticed in my dabbling in indy filmmaking is that there are several different types of music licenses out there and the pricing depends on how long you intend to use the song and how many times during the film.
Alphagaia, deadderek, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
The theme is in all 3 films, no idea what the hell he's talking about. Is there really a need for it to be in each one multiple times or something? Even the 2009 game has it.
sounds like he's trying to get more money out of the deal. There are so many versions of the Ghostbusters theme song out there you really don't have to go with the original song. Yes it's iconic, yes it's my favorite but I agree it doesn't have to be included in every film. Did ATC use the original, or just the instrumental? They had that god awful fall out boy song. There's Run DMC, and No Fx that comes to mind if Ray's going to be difficult about the song rights.
deadderek liked this
ATC used the re-recorded version that to my knowledge first appeared in the Sanctum of Slime game?
The alternate instrumentation and different sound to his voice just never sounded good to me.

For the next film I want the song used in full either all at once or in pieces throughout.

The song is baked into the cultural awareness of the franchise. It should never be a question of negotiations and high payouts to include it in any new official project.
Alphagaia wrote: November 27th, 2022, 11:17 pm I'm guessing the whole rights issue with the song is still very problematic/expensive?

Or did it get resolved?
Good ass question. My guess is it's money related.
Alphagaia wrote:I'm guessing the whole rights issue with the song is still very problematic/expensive?

Or did it get resolved?
He owns it I thought. So we'll keep seeing some of these weird out of context quotes. But then again they keep pumping out new vinyls of it. I think that last one was in 2020 as a Walmart exclusive. As long as there's inflation I guess he'll ask more for the license?

I don't think we knew until A Convenient Parallel Dimension revealed it but Extreme Ghostbusters back in 1996/97 had problems getting the song like up to the last possible second they had to add it in. Then of course for The Video Game, it took them 3 years and $80K to finally get the ok to use it. Then there was the kinda weird thing in 2011 with a re-recording made available on the Atari Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime website for a limited time. Made a dub version on the 30th anniversary vinyl and I think in the same year it showed up on the Just Dance game. Then for Afterlife, there was that awkward shelving of a new music video in late 2018 (which has yet to be released even though Afterlife's been out for a 1 year which they claimed would cause brand confusion) then the more awkward premature reveal of that new band in an exclusive revealing they were doing a cover of the song and Ray said Ghost Corps never contacted him for the license to use the original song in the movie only for the cover to be relegated to a deleted scene that is still unreleased and the original version of the song shows up at the end of the movie right before the end credits.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
The year: 20XX

Ghostbusters 7 is on the horizon. Sony is on the verge of bankruptcy after spending millions of dollars to fulfill their contract with the estate of Ray Parker Jr where they must resurrect the beloved and departed star for the premiere. Both science and most religions have deemed the body just too far gone to be resurrected due to time and the numerous prior attempts. The Government, formerly known as Disney, has put added pressure on Sony as the living automaton President Mickey Mouse requires the revenue to keep the living head of Walt Disney alive to see another century in order to complete the prophecy.
SpaceBallz liked this
To the surprise of no one, McKenna Grace confirmed in an interview she'll be in the new movie.

"Grace is due to reprise her role in a sequel that will return the franchise to its (pun intended) spiritual home: New York City. “It’s gonna be weird getting back into that character because I had just turned 13 when we started shooting [Ghostbusters: Afterlife], and now on our [new] set, I’m going to turn 17,” she says."

https://www.nme.com/features/film-inter ... ry-3350158
deadderek wrote: November 28th, 2022, 8:15 am To the surprise of no one, McKenna Grace confirmed in an interview she'll be in the new movie.

"Grace is due to reprise her role in a sequel that will return the franchise to its (pun intended) spiritual home: New York City. “It’s gonna be weird getting back into that character because I had just turned 13 when we started shooting [Ghostbusters: Afterlife], and now on our [new] set, I’m going to turn 17,” she says."

https://www.nme.com/features/film-inter ... ry-3350158
When they announced GB Afterlife II/GB5, it was pretty much a shoe-in that McKenna would be reprising her role as Phoebe Spengler. It's rumored that Carrie Coon is going to reprise her role as Callie Spengler as well as a few others like Finn Wolfhard as Trevor Spengler, but it's unknown whether Lucky, Podcast and Mr Grooberson will have their characters reprised in GB5.

What I would like to see, is with the references to Phoebe in Spirits Unleashed, is have them visit the firehouse, but Phoebe messes around with some of Egon and Ray's inventions like the slime blower and accidently sprays Ray with the mood slime again (Someone actually made a picture of that, but I'm not sure if it's on deviantart or not!)

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]