By abaka
Hi,

So for a few years I've been running about with a pair of Corcoran 985 but have never been able to bring myself to cut the flaps off or sand the zippers in fear of destroying the boot.

So in anticipation of receiving what will be my final ultimate GB costume with my Magnoli GB suit that I'm putting together, my mind has began thinking about boots. I have seen older style boots without the flap and brass zippers appear occassionally but never in my size. So I opted to find a pair of Corcoran 1500 boots and also purchase some zippers from info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10506

So I have purchased zippers from the place mentioned here and picked up two pairs of boots (if this works I will modify a pair with brass zippers for GB2)...

And finally after a few weeks of trying, I've managed to find a cobbler who can do the work....So once the zippers get here it will be full steam ahead on this project!

So stay tuned....I'm also nervous that I'm about to ruin a perfectly good pair of Corcoran boots!!!
tobycj, ccv66 liked this
By ccv66
So on my Corcoran, I just cut the thread that attaches the flap, came right off. Could put it back if I wanted. Are people actually cutting the leather? I also took a silver sharpie to the zipper, instead of sanding it. Looks okay. Kind of like oxidized aluminum. Good enough I'd your going with the venkman untucked look. Might want to try Sharpie and cutting thread first, completely reversible
By abaka
I'm not sure, I've never looked into it that seriously to know how easy it is...I assumed people were cuting them.

Either way getting a pair of zippered boots, removing the flap and also removing the press stud is a bit too much work for me and would look fairly sloppy also. Not to mention the colouring of zips with a sharpie. It looks good when first done but over time the silver dulls and repeated zippering will flake it off. I had looked for a pair of zippered boots in my size to then replace the zipper but it was getting too difficult to find in my size so I'm going down this route.
By Danman21
I’ve looked at many Corcorans and Carolina’s and none have all the exact details seen on Ramis’ boots. I think the closest I’ve seen are on Carolinas. Been meaning to ask if anyone knows or has ever seen a pair of vintage jumps exactly like Harolds.
By tobycj
Danman21 wrote: January 10th, 2022, 8:31 pm I’ve looked at many Corcorans and Carolina’s and none have all the exact details seen on Ramis’ boots. I think the closest I’ve seen are on Carolinas. Been meaning to ask if anyone knows or has ever seen a pair of vintage jumps exactly like Harolds.
I think Dan Harshman found a very similar pair, so he might be able to shed some light if he sees this post.
By abaka
So the zippers finally arrived today and tomorrow they will be sent to my shoemaker who will be doing the mods.....I'm slightly worried they won't come out right or something will go wrong....but here's hoping.

My track record atm is very much if it can be done wrong - It will be.
By stonecoldrmw
abaka wrote: January 27th, 2022, 1:01 pm So the zippers finally arrived today and tomorrow they will be sent to my shoemaker who will be doing the mods.....I'm slightly worried they won't come out right or something will go wrong....but here's hoping.

My track record atm is very much if it can be done wrong - It will be.
I am leaning towards this approach too. Can you share the link for the zips you have?
By abaka

So my seamstress has sent me an update - Work has been delayed due to business pressures and then staff shortages due to Covid but the boots are cut and the zippers are in place (they are not stitched yet)

But I'm happy with how they look - I will still keep my eye out for a more accurate authentic pair but until then, I'm much happier with these than my old Corcorna 985.
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]