Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
SpaceBallz wrote: January 21st, 2022, 3:58 pm She supported my Ghostbusters obsession and got me everything Ghostbusters related growing up, we got to watch "Afterlife" together before she got sick.

We don't know when any of us will go, spend as much quality time as you can with your loved ones. Even if it's just a phone call.
Oh man. I’m so sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is so hard. It hurts. Thank god for memories tho, because those are what you’ll hold on to now. You’ll cherish them more than ever. They’ll make you smile or cry & they’ll come to you at the most random time & when they do? You’d swear your loved one was right there beside you sharing the memory.

Our parents helped make us who we are. Then we take that and influence the next generation. So your mom lives on through you. Those aren’t just words. They may feel like it right now. It might feel like empty sentiment from a stranger online but eventually you’ll come to see the truth in it.

I wish you nothing but the best. Mothers make the world go round and when the world loses one, it’s a lesser place.
SpaceBallz liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 7:13 am Presumably not the Ultimate Edition though?
Nope. I WISH.
Reading this while my own mother is in the hospital right now as she had her second bypass while some of her toes had to be amputated, I feel for you. I was afraid I would lose her this weekend, and while she isn't out of the woods, being able to visit her and my father (who suffers from dementia) are moments to cherish, especially during these trying times. We never know how much time we have to interact with each other.

I remember you talked about your mother before on this forum. I know she liked the original film. Perhaps even introduced you to it. Cherish those moments. I'm sorry for your loss. I know it's how it's supposed to go. You lose your grandparents, your parents, sometimes before they even die in my father's case, and then your number is going to be next, but you sometimes forget how fast it can go.

My condolences, and I hope you all had a great life together, filled with great moments, and keep creating them with your family as I feel that's the best way to cope with our loss.
SpaceBallz liked this
timeware wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 11:16 pm I'll be laughing my ass off if we get a trailer during the super bowl with a cleaned up Ecto 1 tearing out of the fire house. Then i'd be making a Kevin Smith crying selfie if the following caption says Afterlife will return in five years.
I think there'll easily be a sequel. Too much money made already at the box office, home video and merchandise, and a story deliberately left open.

Whether the sequel will be as good as the first one? That, too, can draw from the experience of the 1980s ;)
deadderek liked this
It’s so jarring to see someone open up about a loved one in the hospital with their toe’s being amputated followed by a a bunch of people wondering when Sony is going to announce a sequel. I mean, I know we gotta stay on topic but I read Alpha’s condolence to Space, which included a harrowing detail about what he & his mother are going thru but then everyone is all:

“So how about that sequel?”

Best of luck to your mother Alpha. I hope she makes it out ok & you have many more years with her.

There’s a quote I’ve always found really kinda sad but also kind of beautiful in a weird way. It came from the last Indiana Jones sequel of all places. I know, right? Weird. But when Indy is contemplating the loss of life he’s recently had to endure his friend says “it’s seem we’ve reached the age where life stops giving us things & starts taking them away”. Maybe it’s just the way the actor delivers the line but I’ve always found it oddly comforting in a way I can’t really explain.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled program of wondering when the next sequel is going to be announced.
Alphagaia, robbritton liked this
Were not without sympathy here Richardless. If Space want's to open up about his mother's passing were there if he needs us and the same goes for Alpha.My mother's gotten Covid twice in the past year or so, so I know how he feels when it comes to close calls. It's not exactly easy. I do hope everything works out for everyone. Hell, I nearly passed from Covid Pneumonia myself. This damned virus is a shit show.
timeware wrote: January 24th, 2022, 7:31 am Were not without sympathy here Richardless. If Space want's to open up about his mother's passing were there if he needs us and the same goes for Alpha.My mother's gotten Covid twice in the past year or so, so I know how he feels when it comes to close calls. It's not exactly easy. I do hope everything works out for everyone. Hell, I nearly passed from Covid Pneumonia myself. This damned virus is a shit show.
No one said you were without sympathy. At all. I said it was jarring reading about someone’s family members health struggle and then the conversation switches to a post about a sequel announcement.

It’s the equivalent of someone saying “oh my mom could be dying. She’s in the hospital. It’s horrible” and then there’s a break in the conversation & someone else says “so…how about those Mets? Terrible pitching this year”.
UEF wrote: January 24th, 2022, 3:14 am
timeware wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 11:16 pm I'll be laughing my ass off if we get a trailer during the super bowl with a cleaned up Ecto 1 tearing out of the fire house. Then i'd be making a Kevin Smith crying selfie if the following caption says Afterlife will return in five years.
I think there'll easily be a sequel. Too much money made already at the box office, home video and merchandise, and a story deliberately left open.

Whether the sequel will be as good as the first one? That, too, can draw from the experience of the 1980s ;)
I'm hoping we get a Batman Begins & Dark Knight scenario. First one is pretty good but the second one just knocks it out of the park .

Let's see the Ecto tearing up the streets of New York with the new team. Ghosts plaguing the city again (montage filled with them of course), with Ray and Winston holding down the Firehouse and teaching the newbies the ropes.

Give Grooberson and Callie the chance to throw on a pack at some point.

Let's get a completely new threat to deal with.

Dammit...I just want more!

:D
Art Directors Guild announced nominations for the 26th Annual Excellence in Production Design Awards and Ghostbusters: Afterlife got a nomination in the Fantasy Feature Film category.
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2022/01/24 ... ild-award/

A snippet, I think, of a feature about VFX from the Jan.19 THR magazine.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235076388/

Domestic box office at just above $127 million and total is around $195.
https://ghostbustersnews.com/2022/01/24 ... tic-total/
deadderek, Corey91, zeta otaku and 2 others liked this
deadderek wrote: January 24th, 2022, 4:28 pm
UEF wrote: January 24th, 2022, 3:14 am

I'm hoping we get a Batman Begins & Dark Knight scenario. First one is pretty good but the second one just knocks it out of the park .

Let's see the Ecto tearing up the streets of New York with the new team. Ghosts plaguing the city again (montage filled with them of course), with Ray and Winston holding down the Firehouse and teaching the newbies the ropes.

Dude. Did you really dislike my post wishing someone’s mom well? Wtf?
Alphagaia liked this
timeware wrote: January 24th, 2022, 4:00 pm Oh, I took no offense. I'm just letting Space, Alpha and anyone else here know our thoughts and prayers are still with them even if the subject is abruptly changed in this thread. I get what your trying to say.
Ok cool. Yeah no I wasn’t trying to be all “how dare you all not comment on what was just posted”. Reading my post back tho I could see how it might be taken as that.

It’s a crazy time. It’s like we are living in an new era. It’ll be interesting to see how history looks back on this period.

So it looks like Ghostbusters Afterlife may end up passing GB16’s box office total after all. Domestic anyways. I don’t know what to think. I think my opinion changes depending on my mood. It’s a good result given the pandemic. But then you look at some of the other movies that have done higher numbers & it’s hard not to be a bit disappointed. And world wide is really not good given how important those markets are. I’m not sure we’ve heard anyone from Sony comment on the figures.

What’s really sad is it looks like the Rated R movie might be dead. The Last Duel, House of Gucci, The Matrix even The Suicide Squad. All of them bombed.
timeware, Alphagaia liked this
RichardLess wrote: January 24th, 2022, 5:29 pm
deadderek wrote: January 24th, 2022, 4:28 pm

Dude. Did you really dislike my post wishing someone’s mom well? Wtf?
Meant to dislike the post after it. I adjusted it accordingly.
Davideverona wrote: January 24th, 2022, 10:43 pmhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/popculture ... or-sequel/

Carrie Coon willing to return for another merry go round with the Ecto 1.
As much as I love Afterlife, the article calling it a "smash hit" seems a bit wrong. Same shit happened with ATC.
RichardLess wrote: January 25th, 2022, 12:59 am
Alphagaia wrote: January 24th, 2022, 10:53 pm Let me guess. Gary made her pregnant, and now she gets targeted by the assets from the museum where she found a job restoring a suspicious evil painting?
Lol. You forgot the Mini Statue of Liberties
Who dance uncontrollably whenever Higher and Higher is heard, which is Janine's new ringtone because reasons.
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 25th, 2022, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joking aside, I don't know how you feel. .. But thinking about the Ghostbusters reopening in New York (whatever forms the new team takes) gets me excited as I was when Afterlife was announced.

What if they always envisioned this as a 2 part story?

You know, the first part deals with the immediate consequences of Egon's plan: the Ghostbusters disband, his family becomes embittered, he dies, Gozer returns and is dealt once and for all.

In the meantime they scribbled ideas for a second part that, given the possibility of box office success, will deal with a more vague aftermath of the first movie. Phoebe has found her place in the world, where she goes from there? Does she has what it takes to bring her grandfather Legacy in the future? Does the new team want to live in the shadow of the Original Ghostbusters? How New York will welcome the return of a supernatural disaster magnet?

https://youtu.be/0pQQdYdPqU0

Can anyone make out what Winston has under his arms?
deadderek liked this
Davideverona wrote:
https://youtu.be/0pQQdYdPqU0

Can anyone make out what Winston has under his arms?
It looks like a legal pad on a clipboard.

-------------------------------------------------------

As for where we go from here, I don't want to see a film or live action series set exclusively in NYC. I'd like to see the Firehouse set up again. I'd like to see Ray and Winston training new recruits. The new team then has to go to some ancient town in Europe. Something akin to the Bustman's Holiday episode from the Real Ghostbusters.

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]