This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
I have a ton of wyse rs232 terminals. Im a phone collector/restorer and general retro tech nerd and phone phreak. Thought it would be fun to do something with these old terms.

This is a wyse WY55 connected to a pi zero w via RS232. I eventually want to build out an interactive terminal to play with thats telnettable.
That is AWESOME!
Can't wait to see what you do with it 😎

I've been working on a control interface in Python for my WIP Containment Unit, also running on a Pi (3B), but would love to integrate hardware like yours. Never worked with RS232 on this level, what's the crack? Would love to learn more...
Sorry about the obnoxiously large screenshot btw, damn 2x upscaling Mac Retina display...

I have various commands which allow on the fly changes to condition of LEDs, servo-controlled analogue gauges, switches and Philips Hue light integration, allowing:
- Trap sequence (insert/grid/field/flush or auto-trap)
- Shutdown / abort
- Ecto Plasmic Residue accumulation and purge (manual or auto - dependant on 'buildup' - which is a factor of the total entities trapped versus my Netatmo weather station data (to provide atmospheric 'PKE' etc)
- Test 'fire' the Laser Grid
- ability to adjust variables, enable/disable hardware, monitoring etc.

Currently about 1.6k lines. I've been trying to edit together a vid demoing the hardware/software, as I never seem to explain it very well in text! More than happy to chat, if you're interested...
deadderek liked this
Real easy to use a real RS232 on a pi, grab yourself a USB to Serial Adapter. Any old RS232 terminal will work, there are tons and tons out there to choose from. Wyse ones are common and cheap. But you can run old stuff like a real DEC VT100 or DEC VT220, or whatever you can find. as long as it has a serial port itll work. Really simple to do. Im a phone phreak so i have a huge home phone system set up, My system will eventually be able to be able to be dialed into.

To start a serial console

First we need to edit the serial-getty service to set the correct baud rate.
Code: Select all
sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/serial-getty@.service
Then make your file look like this- Set your baud rate to whatever your terminal is set to, Mine runs at 9600
# Edit this line
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --keep-baud 115200,38400,9600 %I $TERM

# To This
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty 115200 %I $TERM
then do this
  systemctl daemon-reload

# For a USB serial adaptor
systemctl enable serial-getty@ttyUSB0.service

# For a built in serial port /dev/ttyS0
systemctl enable serial-getty@ttyS0.service 
Nighty80 liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Wow - great info, thanks!
Had a quick look on eBay and (as is usually the way!) not much here in the UK. Found a couple of WY-50's for £119 tho (EG: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284197535221) - I'm guessing something like this would be fine? (DB25 vs DB9 tho - all the USB adaptors I've seen are DB9, am I right in thinking I can simply add another adaptor into the chain?)
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Nighty80 wrote: September 30th, 2021, 8:41 am Wow - great info, thanks!
Had a quick look on eBay and (as is usually the way!) not much here in the UK. Found a couple of WY-50's for £119 tho (EG: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284197535221) - I'm guessing something like this would be fine? (DB25 vs DB9 tho - all the USB adaptors I've seen are DB9, am I right in thinking I can simply add another adaptor into the chain?)
Yup, just use an adapter. your good to go. Id love to help out with your project. Make a full interactive GB Terminal, It would be awesome
Id love to help out with your project. Make a full interactive GB Terminal, It would be awesome
Likewise :)

I've been asking a few tech-geek friends if anyone has a 'spare' terminal to play with. As is, I just ssh into the pi. The code runs within a tmux session, so maintains between connections. Aside from the the CLI and hardware interfaces, it also exposes an API endpoint for me to send commands via Siri (IE: "Hey Siri - Shutdown Containment!", "Hey Siri - Emergency Lights ON" etc), as well as a remote control via iOS Shortcuts.

I've tweeted a few hardware related posts here: https://twitter.com/TheDarkNighty80/sta ... 4548352001
... and a few ideas about PKE measurement here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48134&p=4952694#p4952694

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]