Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
Why can't companies just be honest about such things?

If they truly added the orange tip to accommodate cosplayers, then that's just stupid. If they were forced to add the orange tip due to some sort of overreaching regulation, then they should just say so. That way people will be able to narrow down the scope of their displeasure. :)
VenomSymbiote liked this
timeware wrote: January 20th, 2022, 3:47 am I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if they included a regular tip you could switch out with the orange one.
Including a silver replacement would defeat the purpose of the change. People would just swap in the silver end cap and go to the convention with it.
The point was made earlier you could paint over it. I get Hasbro's trying to cover their butt's it's just the notion that people think we can't tell the difference between a proton rifle and a real rifle. That's what i'm more annoyed about, not so much this little change. it's the insulting of our intelligence. We have some pretty smart people in our fan community.
timeware wrote: January 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm The point was made earlier you could paint over it. I get Hasbro's trying to cover their butt's it's just the notion that people think we can't tell the difference between a proton rifle and a real rifle. That's what i'm more annoyed about, not so much this little change. it's the insulting of our intelligence. We have some pretty smart people in our fan community.

It's not that they think we can't tell the difference, it's for the people who have no idea what a proton pack is. Like the old lady that may see it and think it's a rifle, or the police officer who might mistake it for an actual weapon.

This isn't about us. I don't understand why so many people are getting triggered about this. It's not a personal attack.

You people need to grow up a bit and get over it.
wralex, UEF, Turtuv liked this
The elderly lady may think "leaf blower" before she focuses on the thought of the proton pack being a weapon.

As for the officers it's just a smart idea not to point anything at them. I'm sure at some point or the other an officer patrols their neighborhood around halloween seeing kids dressed up as Ghostbusters and know what a proton pack is. Give police officers some credit.
Since 1992, the US Department of Commerce set guidelines that all toy guns sold in the United States must either be brightly colored and/or have a bright orange tip at the end so as not to mistake them for real guns.

Hasbro is one of the largest toy companies in the US; as such, they are under a lot more scrutiny than other companies that sell prop replicas.

Obviously, they didn't plan on considering the neutrona wand as a “toy gun" at first, but something lead to them walking back that position. Either way, they have every reason to be cautious about skirting the line of US laws, so this move really shouldn't surprise anyone.

It sucks, but it is what it is. We don't like it and I'm sure neither does Hasbro. But the alternative would mean they either make the wand bright blue or not make it at all. At least an orange tip can be painted over or replaced by those who purchase it.
zeta otaku, Kingpin, deadderek and 1 others liked this
I just don't see someone confusing the proton pack with a real weapon. I get the laws. The proton pack didn't just show up yesterday it's been in circulation for the past 30 years largely without incident. That's all i'm getting at. At some point someones seen these things on Tv and may not associate the pack with Ghostbusters but recognize them anyway.
Ecto-1's image has been in circulation for over 30 years yet how often do we still see people depicting it as some generic white station wagon? Or the Proton Pack as some box with a random assortment of lights and wires?

You need to take yourself out of your own experience and familiarity with the franchise and pop yourself in the shoes of someone who barely knows it - or doesn't know it at all. To someone not in the know the wand can look like some sort of gun, especially with the shotgun grip.
In full gear, I've been confused for a terrorist, a soldier, a custodian, a cosmonaut (no, seriously. they were an elderly Russian couple), and a police officer. All of this on Halloween and Comic Con in New York. There ARE people who don't know every facet of Ghostbusters and to someone who isn't familiar with Ghostbusters or fire arms could assume the thrower looks like some kind of rifle.
Kingpin liked this
zeta otaku wrote: January 21st, 2022, 11:41 am In full gear, I've been confused for a terrorist, a soldier, a custodian, a cosmonaut (no, seriously. they were an elderly Russian couple), and a police officer. All of this on Halloween and Comic Con in New York. There ARE people who don't know every facet of Ghostbusters and to someone who isn't familiar with Ghostbusters or fire arms could assume the thrower looks like some kind of rifle.
Lol that’s hilarious! The wide scope of roles a ghostbuster can be depicted as is funny as hell.
Similar situation, me and my buddy (both in full gear) walked into our hotel in Downtown Chicago one night after C2E2. Before we even got to the elevators, two security guards pulled us into a small side room and started grilling us on our packs. We thought they were joking when they asked "do those work?" We were chuckling until the guy said he was going to have to confiscate our equipment because "I don't know what those are gonna do and they look dangerous"

It was only when another guard entered the room at random shouting "Holy $*#@ it's the Ghostbusters!" and explained to the others that it was a costume that they believed it.
I never got the email from Hasbro notifying me of the change to the wand tip. I have a June '22 ship date, and another June buyer told me they didn't get an email either. Any other June shippers receive that email, or do you think the June shipments are too far along to get the change?
Pcal6883 wrote: January 24th, 2022, 7:18 am I never got the email from Hasbro notifying me of the change to the wand tip. I have a June '22 ship date, and another June buyer told me they didn't get an email either. Any other June shippers receive that email, or do you think the June shipments are too far along to get the change?
I've got two on order for June. No email for me either.
kahuna900 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 3:39 pm If they truly added the orange tip to accommodate cosplayers, then that's just stupid. If they were forced to add the orange tip due to some sort of overreaching regulation, then they should just say so.
Those two things are not mutually exclusive. It is to accommodate cosplayers because of the law.
jonogunn wrote: January 20th, 2022, 10:39 pm To be fair I believe I read a post either on this forum or somewhere else about someone wearing a proton pack out and a bystander not realizing what it was might have called the cops or security on him thinking it was some sort of bomb
I don't know if that was me on Facebook, but that did happen to me. I was coming home from C2E2. I was at the train station and some rando came up to me insisting that my Spirit pack was a bomb. I tried to explain that it was just a toy from Ghostbsters, he wasn't having it. Luckily he eventually went away, but I'm glad not authorities were around or I would have had to deal with that.
obiwanjabroni wrote: January 24th, 2022, 9:48 am
Pcal6883 wrote: January 24th, 2022, 7:18 am I never got the email from Hasbro notifying me of the change to the wand tip. I have a June '22 ship date, and another June buyer told me they didn't get an email either. Any other June shippers receive that email, or do you think the June shipments are too far along to get the change?
I ordered a wand from Entertainment Earth. The original date of release was to be February, but I got an email in late-December saying it was pushed to April 2022. Don't know if this has to do with the color tip or something else. I'll be curious to see which one I end up getting.
Dr.D liked this
Broccoli wrote: January 24th, 2022, 11:34 am
kahuna900 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 3:39 pm If they truly added the orange tip to accommodate cosplayers, then that's just stupid. If they were forced to add the orange tip due to some sort of overreaching regulation, then they should just say so.
Those two things are not mutually exclusive. It is to accommodate cosplayers because of the law.
jonogunn wrote: January 20th, 2022, 10:39 pm To be fair I believe I read a post either on this forum or somewhere else about someone wearing a proton pack out and a bystander not realizing what it was might have called the cops or security on him thinking it was some sort of bomb
I don't know if that was me on Facebook, but that did happen to me. I was coming home from C2E2. I was at the train station and some rando came up to me insisting that my Spirit pack was a bomb. I tried to explain that it was just a toy from Ghostbsters, he wasn't having it. Luckily he eventually went away, but I'm glad not authorities were around or I would have had to deal with that.
obiwanjabroni wrote: January 24th, 2022, 9:48 am

I ordered a wand from Entertainment Earth. The original date of release was to be February, but I got an email in late-December saying it was pushed to April 2022. Don't know if this has to do with the color tip or something else. I'll be curious to see which one I end up getting.
Mine is slated for December of this year online, but the email I have about the order says April. I don't know which to believe.
So none of my three accounts / three orders for wands on Hasbro's website got an email notifying them about the orange tip. And someone from facebook just got one from a new shipment at bigbadtoystore that did not have the orange tip. So I'm guessing this is a late running change and will only affect the ones shipping later this year.
GhostFaceX wrote: January 25th, 2022, 11:32 pm So none of my three accounts / three orders for wands on Hasbro's website got an email notifying them about the orange tip. And someone from facebook just got one from a new shipment at bigbadtoystore that did not have the orange tip. So I'm guessing this is a late running change and will only affect the ones shipping later this year.
That's good I hope for me since I ordered at the end of December from EE. I just wish I knew big bad toy store was selling it for February and I missed out on that window.
Are any other changes they have planned for the reissue besides the orange tip?

I noticed that they are showing a silver button here, but it could be they are just reusing old pictures with the orange tip photoshopped on.

The promotional pictures for the original version had it as silver too, but on the actual product it was black.

Last edited by cocomonk22 on January 26th, 2022, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sgurk Von Spankraght wrote: February 8th, 2022, 7:15 am Replaced the grips with BoK resin grips. Also replaced the Clippard with a genuine R 701 (not pictured). More mods to be done!

That looks so much better! Great job - one of my main gripes with them insisting on adding the little upgrades on everything Egon related is ONE: Egon was smart enough to get it right the FIRST time and TWO: the upgrades look ugly and ruin the aesthetic of that awesome utilitarian 80s tech-y look and honestly they visually look like a regression. I cannot fathom how putting a rifle grip up front will help you handle a thrower any better than an actual finger style grip that it was invented with. I think they really got the "upgrades" wrong and gave fan downgrades. Even the pack doesn't do anything different - it just sounds different and cycles faster, but this is never discussed or talked about "why".
ProtonPack83 wrote:
That looks so much better! Great job - one of my main gripes with them insisting on adding the little upgrades on everything Egon related is ONE: Egon was smart enough to get it right the FIRST time and TWO: the upgrades look ugly and ruin the aesthetic of that awesome utilitarian 80s tech-y look and honestly they visually look like a regression. I cannot fathom how putting a rifle grip up front will help you handle a thrower any better than an actual finger style grip that it was invented with. I think they really got the "upgrades" wrong and gave fan downgrades. Even the pack doesn't do anything different - it just sounds different and cycles faster, but this is never discussed or talked about "why".
I don’t mind the changes (wouldn’t necessarily call them upgrades), we learn from the film that Egon had very little money (could barely keep the lights on according to Janine)… so it’s not a stretch to imagine that getting replacement parts for non-essential elements that break, such as a grip, weren’t a priority. After 30 years, parts will inevitably deteriorate and need replacing.

If you live in Oklahoma, it’s probably a lot easier and cheaper to get a shotgun grip than a bespoke moulded grip (this is conjecture as I’ve never been to Oklahoma). I like that the changes feed into the ‘Egon was skint’ narrative and that he used whatever was lying around… shotgun grip, grip tape etc…
wralex liked this
Dr.D wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:40 am Did you have any trouble getting the front grip off? I've seen a few people Dremel theirs out but am worried cutting the two wires under the grip.
I had to dremel it off too. It's the only way to do it right. You can't put a 3d printed piece on there because it'll just look weird. The goal was to make it look as best as I could and like it was bought with that grip. I've seen many front grip replacements that just look awful so I looked at a lot of them before I started work.
There's only one wire and I managed not to damage it when using my dremel BUT multiple grip fittings finally did damage it and I had to cut it. I'll probably add a hidden switch somewhere in the future so I can switch to the video game modes. But the gun still does all the other stuff and that's most important to me.
I've documented the entire process on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 589&type=3
Maybe that helps to give you a good insight on the work needed.
Here's a picture of the wand with the real clippard.
Dfns liked this
Proton Props UK

I've seen that too...... Maybe, I don't know? […]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]