By AJ Quick

It is with great sadness that we must report that Ghostbusters director, Ivan Reitman passed away on Saturday. He left behind a legacy, a large collection of amazing movies including Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Stripes, Meatballs and many others. He was 75.
By JDvonAwesome
When we speak of legacies, we think about the things that get left behind and whether those things will outlive us. This man helped birth art that so many of us love, so many of us cherish memories of to this day, in that regard, he has truly left behind a great legacy, and will be remembered by all he touched with his art.

My heart goes out to the Reitman family, and all that knew him. We lost a great one. RIP.
Last edited by JDvonAwesome on February 13th, 2022, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*NormalGamer*, Kingpin liked this
By groschopf
I didn't know about Ivan's childhood and immigration story until reading the AP article about his passing. It feels like his own background must have guided him to the scripts he wanted to film and the themes inherent in his films.

Animal House, Stripes, Ghostbusters, Twins, Kindergarten Cop, Dave, Evolution... he gave us so many great films about underdogs and everyday people called upon to do incredible things with the aid of those closest to them—all while still finding a way to laugh in order to overcome adversity.
*NormalGamer*, Kingpin liked this
By Dr.D
Heavy stuff. It's not an exaggeration to say, I am not sure I'd be where I am without the influence of this man and his films.

Rest in Peace Ivan. Thanks man.
Kingpin liked this
By *NormalGamer*
Devastating news. My deep condolences to the Reitman family. :(

Ghostbusters: Afterlife was truly his swan song and it was the last film he produced; with the torch passed to his son, Jason, Ivan's legacy will forever live on with him.

R.I.P. Ivan Reitman. Thank you for everything.
Kingpin liked this
By ecto88mph
Passing in your sleep, old and successful with family and friends that love you, can't really ask for more then that.

The fact that his last project was not only working on a film with his son, but a film that was a literal and figurative passing the torch.

Truly a kind of happy ending you normally only see in movies. RIP.
*NormalGamer*, deadderek, Wafflerobot and 3 others liked this
By Alphagaia
That's... unexpected. I always wake up with the 'Valentines day, bummer' line today, but this, this is just a great loss. 75 is still way to young to go. I hope his family was with him. My condolences.

For Ivan.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By Davideverona
I was kinda expecting it. In his last apparitions he looked frail.

He was able to see his legacy take a step towards the future, he worked closely with his son, he saw his last projected achieving huge success. He passed away peacefully in his sleep without pain.

Both as a filmmaker and human being, this is the end I'd want. Today I'm not sad, just thankful for the enormous gift of Ivan Reitman.

I'm just wondering..... I hope they don't let Aykroyd steer the franchise alone. Ghost Corps needs someone equally passionate but with a clearer vision.
By Chicken, He Clucked
Sad news. RIP.

The time he and Jason got to work together on Afterlife did indeed "righten the ship" and what a way to spend your final years, recapturing your greatest achievements, working with family and passing the torch.

Puts all the fan whining into perspective. Will watch the work-print this week in his memory.
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on February 14th, 2022, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek, Kingpin, Petzrick liked this
By UEF
Talk about going out on a high.

Wasn’t he flying around the world for Afterlife promo too? Didn’t strike me as a man who would shortly leave us. Living life to the end.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
By ECTO-21
Heartbreaking - gutted for Jason :cry::cry:

At least he got to work with his dad to make afterlife.... and then see it launch together - that must have meant so much

Thank you Ivan - for bringing ghostbusters to life and changing all of our lives

RIP
By Holydohnut
RIP Ivan. You were truly one of the greats. I don't think we'll ever see the likes of your genius again. So grateful that you got to work so closely with Jason on Afterlife.

It's no exaggeration to say this man has shaped most of our lives. For me, being 5 years old and watching the rental tape over and over again and still begging my dad to let me keep it one more day, to being 41 years old and teaching myself Python so I can make ghostbusters props.

So sad today...
By robbritton
Nothing but all the condolences to his family.

The film he released in 84 has been as influential on my morality and character as my family and peers. My life would have gone a different way were it not for what he made. What a wonderful thing to be able to say about a piece of art and what a testament to his talent - that it was literally life-changing, and I'd imagine the same is true of many of the rest of us.

You were one of the good ones, Ivan Reitman, and the world is a sadder place without you.
Chicken, He Clucked, deadderek and 3 others liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]