For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
By The BeasT
Well I finally finished my "top secret" project. I kinda thought someone would catch on to me when I started making "glow-in-the-dark" ghosts but I'm glad they didn't. :)

I was looking at my Ecto-Glow Kenner figures and I started thinking about how I had always wanted a Janine to go with the guys. Once I started playing around with the new casting materials I bought in the fall, I realized that it could be done!

I started by acquiring an extra "power pack hero" Janine figure which was meant to be the compliment standard body Janine to the classic ghostbuster molds that were reused for multiple series. I also had just acquired a new "ecto-glow" winston pack as the gun was broken on mine.

I dismantled the "power pack hero" Janine and made molds and casts of her body, arms, and legs in "Glow-in-the dark" resin. I also used an extra Kenner first series gun and made a mold and cast of that as well to replace the broken one from my "Ecto-glow" Winston.

I tried to use as much logic as possible when choosing the ghost. If you look at the "Ecto-Glow" line you will see 2 ghosts from the first series, 2 ghosts from the "Super Fright Features" line, and only 1 ghost from the first "Fright Features" line. That is why I knew I had to choose one ghost from the first "Fright Features" line and the "twosome ghost seemed the most fun but also the most easily cast-able for me to do. You'll also notice that I gave the ghost pink eyes. This is because once again if you look at the ghost in the "Ecto-Glow" line you'll see 2 with green eyes, 2 with blue, and only 1 with pink.

Now that I had my ghost I went about making a special unique proton stream for him that would wrap around him just like the other "Ecto-glow" figures. I used a wire hanger to make the stream and the handle from my broken "Ecto-Glow" Winston pack. Made the mold and casted it.

The mask was made by taking an imprint of the Janine face in clay. Then once hardened, I used apoxie sculpt and used the hardened clay like a mold to make a flat-ish cast. Then I hollowed it out with a dremel. Molded and casted and there you have it. The mask took multiple tries to get it just right and even still it's not as snug as the originals but it works and looks just fine in my opinion.

Now for the letters on her leg I bought clear printable sticker paper and printed off her name ( actually ran it through the printer several times to get a good thick layer of ink) and cut he letter out and super glued them onto her uniform. Found the GB logo and printed that off super small and glue it onto her arm for the patch. I choose to put her name on her leg because I went with the fact that 3 of the "ecto-glow" figures had their names on their chest and only 2 had it on their leg. Also this was the area with the most room because she has a larger name and a smaller body.

As for her colors; again if you look at the already established patterns, no "Ecto-Glow" ghotbuster is wearing the color of their ghost's eyes. So pink was out of the question. Also each GB has only 2 colors on their uniform. Then I looked at which colors were already used the most. This eliminated blue which was used 3 times. We were left with red which was used twice, green which was used twice, and orange which was used once. So it was a tie between orange and green or orange and red. And orange and red seemed too redundant. So that how I landed on orange and green. I spent some time thinking about the patterns. And really couldn't find any kind of pattern to their patterns. I really could have done and pattern I wanted and it would have matched more or less with what everybody else s uniform was doing. I tried to incorporate designs that flowed from one part to next like the others had and mainly tried to keep the same amount of color as the other had as well.

Yes she does indeed "Glow-in-the-dark"!!

And the group shot!

So when it was all said and done I used an original "Power Pack Hero" Janine head and original "Ecto-Glow" backpack and pink string. Everything else is casted and custom.

Questions and comments are welcome!
Carpeteria, tonyleepr liked this
By Donkey8012
That looks fantastic! Very good work. Any plans to tool a glow-copter?
By Mr.Spider
Wow, just .... Wow, i figured when you posted the ecto glow ghost that might he the direction you were headed .... But I never expected it to be janine. Awesome job , every detail nailed !
By CaptCyan
Hey Beastie!

Excellent job on making Ecto-Glow Janine. :nicejobyoudid: The fact that she looks like she belongs with the others is testament to the work that you put into making the figure.

I also like that you included your thoughts on how you made the construction and color choices.

To you, good sir,
:crunch::crunch::crunch:
By Midcoast Ghostbuster
Excellent job, Janine looks fatastic next to the other Ecto Glow Figures. Giving her the Greusome Twoseum ghost (One of my personal favorites of the pack in ghosts by the way.) was a great choice.
By Kingpin
Superb work, and has already been said, the final effort could easily pass for an official release. Awesome! :)
By JBlake
Kudos to you man! Very good job on this project!
By Ectofiend666
Dude this just made my day...If I had the extra dough I'd try and commission you to make one for me :-)...I mean it looks like it came straight off the Kenner assembly line circa 1991!!
By sting3037
Looks so awesome & beautiful! I am envious sir. Great job on the process & showing us how you came to an awesome conclusion to use your color choices, placement, and even ghost. Twosome gruesome is definitely one of my favs as a kid.

Sent from my DROIDX using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
By Fritz
Extra bonus points for what I just realized:

Egon's Ecto-Glow outfit is marked with green and pink. The one you made for Janine is green and orange.

Egon's RGB uniform is blue (more or less, the shade seemed to vary) and pink. My personal favorite one of Janine's RGB uniforms, seen in RGB#22, was the same blue as Egon's but with orange cuffs and collar.

Probably not intentional, but a neat correspondance.
By The BeasT
Thanks everybody for your compliments!!! It's really cool to share this project with other GB fans who totally get why this was a really fun and awesome project to work on.
Donkey8012 wrote:That looks fantastic! Very good work. Any plans to tool a glow-copter?
Not unless there's a non glow version somewhere that I can mold the pieces from.
Fritz wrote:That is damn impressive. I still roll my eyes and get a little annoyed that they only used that awesome mold once; she was far more important in the cartoon than Louis ever was, but his proton pack-compatible mold got used three times.
Totally agree!
Ectofiend666 wrote:Dude this just made my day...If I had the extra dough I'd try and commission you to make one for me :-)...I mean it looks like it came straight off the Kenner assembly line circa 1991!!
Hey just let me know if you ever get the dough ;) but like I mentioned above, I would need a couple of original pieces and the time/labor/materials are high. I think all said and done it cost me about $80 for the materials alone!
Fritz wrote:Extra bonus points for what I just realized:

Egon's Ecto-Glow outfit is marked with green and pink. The one you made for Janine is green and orange.

Egon's RGB uniform is blue (more or less, the shade seemed to vary) and pink. My personal favorite one of Janine's RGB uniforms, seen in RGB#22, was the same blue as Egon's but with orange cuffs and collar.

Probably not intentional, but a neat correspondance.

yep, just a coincidence.
By Ectofiend666
The BeasT wrote:
Ectofiend666 wrote:Dude this just made my day...If I had the extra dough I'd try and commission you to make one for me :-)...I mean it looks like it came straight off the Kenner assembly line circa 1991!!
Hey just let me know if you ever get the dough but like I mentioned above, I would need a couple of original pieces and the time/labor/materials are high. I think all said and done it cost me about $80 for the materials alone!
Will do ;-)...
By rgb82
Very Awesome!!!!! I am very impressed, It looks exactly like what Kenner would have made if they would have produced a Janine figure. ;) If you ever decide to start selling them let me know and Put me down for one ;).
Will you be working on an ecto-glow copter? or any other awesome projects? ;)
By Fritz
rgb82 wrote: Will you be working on an ecto-glow copter? or any other awesome projects? ;)
Sorta already answered...
Donkey8012 wrote:That looks fantastic! Very good work. Any plans to tool a glow-copter?
The BeasT wrote:Not unless there's a non glow version somewhere that I can mold the pieces from.
It was recently mentioned that the Ecto-Glow Copter was a reuse of the molds from the Police Academy Crime Mulcher. I don't know how possible it would be to get a hold of one of those, though.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 54#p368854
JBlake wrote:The fact that very little injection mold tooling needed altered (from the Crime Mulcher Police Academy vehicle) before production ready examples could be generated, supports this notion as well. However, the Kenner documentation that I have suggests that the Ecto Glow Copter never reached production ready stage, therefore, never would have made it to retail shelves. This is what is known: the item used for photography was a painted model of the Crime Mulcher Police Academy vehicle (information previously known), what has not been documented is the fact that the wheels on the Ecto Glow Copter actually say "Crime Mulcher" - tooling that would have needed altering before the final stage of production.
By Alex Newborn
Looks great! I loved the wherefores in your text, and it's amazing seeing something handmade that looks so perfectly 'assembly line' alongside the others.

I never saw the Ecto-Glow figures on shelves, I bought them from a mail-order catalogue a few years later (I think it was Jeff Freeman's "Falcon's Hanger" [sic] in Indiana?).

Due to the slightly higher price I paid, and the realization they must have had low production numbers as 'tail-enders', I never took them off the card...

So now of course I am wondering what a custom card for your custom Janine would look like.

Alex
By The BeasT
rgb82 wrote:Very Awesome!!!!! I am very impressed, It looks exactly like what Kenner would have made if they would have produced a Janine figure. If you ever decide to start selling them let me know and Put me down for one .
Will you be working on an ecto-glow copter? or any other awesome projects?
Very Awesome!!!!! I am very impressed, It looks exactly like what Kenner would have made if they would have produced a Janine figure. ;) If you ever decide to start selling them let me know and Put me down for one ;).
Will you be working on an ecto-glow copter? or any other awesome projects? ;)
Fritz wrote:It was recently mentioned that the Ecto-Glow Copter was a reuse of the molds from the Police Academy Crime Mulcher. I don't know how possible it would be to get a hold of one of those, though.

viewtopic.php?p=368854#p368854
Thanks rgb82, thanks, fritz

I don't think I'll make an ecto copter. If they had actually produced the version that came out in the police academy line, I could have molded the pieces in glow plastic, but alas they didn't make it.

As for other projects, I usually do marvel legends scale customs. http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 58#p149258 This just happened to be a glaring hole in the real ghostbuster line that I felt I could fix..... If anybody has any other neat ideas I might try them out. Since I have the molds for Janines body I had thought about doing a version to compliment the original 4 guys. What do you all think? A particular costume I should shoot for?
Alex Newborn wrote:So now of course I am wondering what a custom card for your custom Janine would look like.

Alex
Hmmmm.... that would be cool, maybe someone who is more talented with drawing could come up with the artwork. Any takers? After that, it wouldn't be hard to scan an original card, insert the new art and change some of the text.
By sting3037
:cool: Omg!

I would gladly pay you a cheeseburger on Tuesday if I could get one today.

But seriously, this is totally cool, makes me want to get my Ecto Glows. I would definitely pay more than $80 for one. But that's your call. Great job my good sir!
By The Stiff
Absolutely brilliant work! :crunch:

I like how you analyzed the whole series when making decisions for Janine's colours and accessories. Very smart! :cool:
By Midcoast Ghostbuster
@ The BeasT I think that you should make the colors of your next Janine custom in either the colors from "Janine's Genie" or the blue jumpsuit with orange trim from The Real Ghostbusters comic books.
By Darksidejuan
I think it would be cool to have her in a pink outfit like the Series two FF line and brown like peters. That ecto glow is probably the coolest custom I have ever seen.

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]