Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
The Power and Light Building in Kansas City, MO
Height: 146.6m (481ft)
Style: Art Deco
Built: 1931
Floors: 34
Address: 1330 Baltimore
Architect: Hoit, Price and Barnes

-It held the title of missouri's tallest for over 45 years
-It was the tallest building by roof in the world outside NYC for a few years (The Smith Tower beat it with a spire)
-Kansas City Power and Light moved out when 1201 Walnut was built
-It is the fourth tallest building in Kansas City
-Observation balconies are on the 32nd floor
-It's west wall has no windows because a twin was to be built, although the depression cancelled it
-It's top lights up and changes different colors at nighttime
-It is probably the most famous of Kansas City buildings
-In local legend it is said to have inspired the building (Spook Central) for Ghostbusters, although another building in NYC was used

I am going to call and see if I can get a tour of the Observation balconies. Maybe get some good pics of the top tower.
By stanztheman
Well you can CLEARLY see the doors to Gozer's temple in the photos, lol
By Master Taran
That building looks similar, but so does this one:

This is the capital building in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It also has a detail that looks like the Zuul temple doors (even moreso than the Kansas building).
By Master Taran
So what, I guess they just don't make 'em like they used to, huh? :wink:

btw, technically it should be "certified geniuses or authentic whackos". :wink:
By Ecto96
So what, I guess they just don't make 'em like they used to, huh? Wink

*slaps master tarin upside his head* NO! They never made them like this!
By Kingpin
Heh, roof ornamentation isn't uncommon, especially to cover over unsightly water tanks.

The urban legend isn't impossible, 55 Central Park West was built in 1929 so there's nothing to suggest against inspiration.
It's very possible that one or more buildings provided inspiration for the Zuul building. What isn't true is that it is a real building, or at least the roof isn't real; it was a model (I believe it talks about this in the behind the scenes stuff on the DVD). They may have taken a real building and superimposed the model, "adding" to the real building, but there is no actual building with that exact design anywhere.
Guyver wrote: -In local legend it is said to have inspired the building (Spook Central) for Ghostbusters, although another building in NYC was used

The legend that this building provided inspiration may be true, but on the other hand this statement sort of dimishishes the reliability (if this is actually how the legent is told). Think about this: if the entire Zuul building was indeed an actual building in NYC (ie, not a model), then this is a contradiction. How could the Kansas building have been the inspiration if another real building was used? I think it would be more appropriate to say that the building inspired some of the design of the model, but to say it inspired the Zuul building even though another building was used is sort of silly.
By Guyver
Well I just found out that they are remodeling the top 5 floors because of structural issues. No one is allowed past the 30th floor. So no chance of getting to get pics of the top (up close) for anither 5 years, Gerrrrrrrr.
By Master Taran
Remodelling? Are you sure they're not conducting bizarre rituals intended to bring about the end of the world? :wink:
By ecto_skywalker
Master Taran wrote: Remodelling? Are you sure they're not conducting bizarre rituals intended to bring about the end of the world? :wink:

Only if they decided society is too sick to survive. :wink:
By stanztheman
(pause) SO BE GOOD! (spins around, pointing in ecto_skywalker's face) For goodness sake! WOOOAAAAOOOHHH somebody's comin'!
By Master Taran
So now is some moldy Babylonian god going to drop in and start tearing up the city? :wink:
By ecto_skywalker
Master Taran wrote: So now is some moldy Babylonian god going to drop in and start tearing up the city? :wink:

Maybe you better get your own lawyer...? :lol:
By Master Taran
If we don't stop these people, we will be headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. :lol:
By ecto_skywalker
What do you mean, "biblical"? :?
By Master Taran
What I mean, Mr Ecto, is Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff. Earthquakes, volacanoes, rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, the dead rising from the grave, human sacrafice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Ok, I hearyby declare this therad hijacked. :lol:
By RoboProp
The reason the top 5 floors are being redone is because the archetect didn't use cold riveted girders with cores of pure seleinum. :wink:

Darrin
By Master Taran
Probably forgot to use a magnesium-tungsten alloy, too. :lol:
By stanztheman
So what? I guess they just dont make em like they used to, eh?
By Ecto96
*hits stanz in the head* No! Don't you see they never made anything like this! Either the architect was a certified genious or an authentic whacko...

[You guys ever think we're a little TOO into the gb's if we're doing stuff like this?]
By stanztheman
Ecto... For a moment, pretend that I dont know anything about metelurgy or physics... and just tell me what the hell is going on.

(No, if the fans arent this into it, Ghostbusters would die. WE are all that is left of Ghostbusters, anything new comes from US. We're on our own.)
By Ecto96
You never studied...

The whole building, is a huge super-conductive antennae that was designed and built expressly for the purpose of pulling in and concentrating spiritual turbulence. Your girlfriend, lives in the corner penthouse... Of spook central.

[Oh good, then that means I'm not crazy. Or at least look sane next to the rest of you :lol: ]
By Kingpin
Only if they decided society is too sick to survive

In this world of Reality telelvision I'm surprised society hasn't been declared sick and then legally dead by now.

God knows Common Sense died a tragic and much ignored death.

55 Central Park West was extended in height through use of models and matte paintings. The model was also used for the final pyrotechnic sequence as well as the practical shots with the Stay Puft suit.
By Ecto96
Kingpin:
55 Central Park West was extended in height through use of models and matte paintings. The model was also used for the final pyrotechnic sequence as well as the practical shots with the Stay Puft suit.

Not only that, but the scene where the guys are walking around from a long show where you're looking into Dana's blown out apartment, that's not real. It's actually a painting, that was edited with little dots moving around in the film much the same way they did the proton streams and ghost effects, thereby making it appear like the boys were moving around in the apartment.
By ecto_skywalker
Ecto96 wrote: Not only that, but the scene where the guys are walking around from a long show where you're looking into Dana's blown out apartment, that's not real. It's actually a painting, that was edited with little dots moving around in the film much the same way they did the proton streams and ghost effects, thereby making it appear like the boys were moving around in the apartment.

Right! :D Except it was actually a miniturized shot of the special effects guys walking around, that was cut into that painting of the building. Atleast that's what they said on the dvd. :wink:
By ab5olut3zero
Master Taran wrote: So now is some moldy Babylonian god going to drop in and start tearing up the city? :wink:

Sumerian, not Babylonian...
By ecto_skywalker
ab5olut3zero wrote:
Master Taran wrote:So now is some moldy Babylonian god going to drop in and start tearing up the city? :wink:

Sumerian, not Babylonian...

Big difference. :wink:

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]