Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
This has been brewing for awhile, but I guess now is the time to divorce myself from the online Ghostbusters community. But first, let me tell you a few things about myself. I was too young to see the original movie during it's theatrical run (although I've seen it many times at the cinema over the years). I first saw it on television, must have been sometime in 1986. Loved it from the first viewing. My love for the GBs only increased with time. By the time the Real Ghostbusters cartoon was on tv, I was telling people it was my favorite movie of all time. And it still is.

Ghostbusters 2 had its problems, sure, but I still saw it 5 times in the theater. I got chills when Dana picked up Oscar out of the runaway stroller and the GB2 symbol appeared and the classic theme song played.

I waited through frustrating years (decades, even) while GB3 rumors came and went. I began to hate Bill Murray for holding up the next installment of my favorite movie series. After reading some of Dan Aykroyd's interviews, however, I started thinking maybe GB3 wouldn't be such a good idea. This was the first bit of turbulence between me and the rest of the ghostheads out there. Many that I knew thought the idea of "Ghostbusters go to Hell" was great. I thought it sounded terrible and what I heard on message boards and in magazines made the idea sound like a surefire flop.

Anyway, then came the Xbox 360 video game. I bought it eagerly, played it, and enjoyed it.

But I never thought it was or should be Ghostbusters 3. I thought the plot by Aykroyd was too similar to his bad-sounding script ideas. Ivo Shandor (my name on this site) is a cool character in GB1, but making him MORE POWERFUL than Gozer? Dumb idea. Having the Marshmallow Man be defeated easily? Dumb idea. Having Shandor destroy Gozer and play with its skull? Dumb idea. The bizarre and convoluted history given to the Grey Lady at the library? Dumb idea. Much of the game struck me as amateurish and disrespectful of the original movie. Gozer is not some pawn to be defeated by a mere mortal sorcerer. This was the start of the real rift between me and 90%+ of the GB fanbase who loved the mediocre game and screamed "IT'S GB3!!!"...no, no it's not. Thank God. That Juvenile Sloar was cool, though. It should have been the big bad guy and final boss of the game.

Then came the IDW Ghostbusters comics. Written by very mediocre writer Erik Burnham. I don't like them. I don't like his writing. I told him this on Twitter. I told him I could write a better GB comic (I'm an amateur writer). He didn't like that one bit.

I am fully aware that 95%+ of the online GB fanbase worships Erik Burnham and his shitty GB comic. At this point I was teetering on the brink of giving up on being part of the online community. No offense to anyone who has the opposite opinion as me, I know my views aren't popular. But to me Erik Burnham is a hack who has done basically nothing with the GB comics plot-wise. He's maybe a caretaker. That's about it. Think of all the cool things someone could do with GB in comic book form. A real writer like Grant Morrison or someone. Burnham has done little if anything. Predictable, safe, rote, by-the-numbers is what you get with him. Anyway, enough said about that.

Then, the 2016 reboot. I don't care about your politics. The movie was okay, I didn't hate it. I didn't love it. I wanted to talk about many aspects of the movie, but the online fanbase either LOVES it and if you say you don't like it, you're a sexist...or they HATE it, and if you say it had good points, you are a leftist SJW. It was exhausting and soured me even more on the GB community. I'd love to talk Answer The Call with neutral fans of the series who (like me) don't give a shit about politics. Good luck finding people like that. For the record, Dr. Erin Gilbert is amazing and Holtzmann is fine too, although she is a bit too over-the-top for me. Erin Gilbert could step into a movie like Afterlife or some other GB movie and fit right in, though. She's the best thing in Answer The Call.

Finally, we come to Afterlife. By this point I'm so estranged from the GB online community that I don't even fit in anymore. Most of you love the IDW comic and video game. You either love or hate the 2016 reboot, so much so that discussion about it is impossible. I find being around the fanbase exhausting and unfun.

So I'm going to head out on my own. I still love Ghostbusters, but I guess not in the way most of you do.
Last edited by Ivo Shandor on November 23rd, 2021, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmazonChitlin wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 4:51 pm You went up to someone and told them you could do a better job than them? That's kind of a jerk move, and sums up what I got from your overall post.
There was a conversation on Twitter, I didn't start out totally hostile to him. Well, not rudely hostile, anyway. There were other people involved. Frankly, he came off as a pompous clown. So I told him exactly what I thought of him and his mediocre writing. Not sorry.
    Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]