By JWils23
It's funny how there seems to be a big trap bug in the community right now and here I am doing ANOTHER trap build. This one has actually been in the works for a while now, but waiting on parts and big projects at work had put the brakes on it for a bit. This is the same kit that Pchrisbosh1 used for his recent build (Guillame Marroni), Chris was generous enough to print a trap off for me so that I could try my hand at a 3D build. I've never gotten hot and heavy with a 3D build before so this has definitely been a learning experience, I'm also adding real parts/screws and hand cutting all of my aluminum plates. I had thought about using send cut send but then I decided I wanted to give the jigsaw some work and cut them myself since I really enjoyed cutting my own mobo and making some of the brackets for my pack. This one should be fun as it has the ejecting cartridge so I'm really trying to match it to the references we have of that trap.

Here's a picture of all the parts this kit comes with, it comes with every single piece you could need to make this an entirely 3D build.

Because I was going to cut my own aluminum plates I used the side plates that came with the kit as a template, however I enlarged them just a bit as they seemed slightly undersized to me based against the pictures in reference. I have a little bit more filing to do to get them where I want them but they are close.

With the side plates cut I moved on to the battery box cover. I cut this a little bigger initially so I could file it down to where I wanted it, heres the initial cut.
Here it is after some grinding and filing, just about spot on. Needs a tad bit more on one corner but just about there.

Next it was onto sanding down the faux screws and replacing them with real socket caps and the slotted screw on the back of the bargraph box. I ended up sanding down the plate around the bargraph and am going to cut an aluminum plate for that this weekend.

Here is where I made my first mistake, I glued the top of the cartridge onto the bottom and sanded things down for the first primer fill. Once I sprayed the first round of primer I realized I didn't glue on the bargraph box, so I sanded it back down to the filament and glued it on. Then started with the spot putty to fill print lines and the seam around the top of the cartridge.

As with every 3D build I had more filling and sanding in my future. On one hand it seems like a lot of work, but on the other hand if you're a perfectionist (as many of us on here are) it really lets you get things exactly how you want them. I still have a little more work to do on the doors and the cartridge but it's close.

That's it for the start of this one so far, I'm hoping to get the cartridge finished and start working on the base this weekend.
RedSpecial, pchrisbosh1, mburkit and 1 others liked this
By pchrisbosh1
Looks great James! Your making some serious progress...I trust it's going to look mighty fine when finished. Keep up the good work!
mburkit, JWils23 liked this
By JWils23
pchrisbosh1 wrote: May 15th, 2022, 10:07 am Looks great James! Your making some serious progress...I trust it's going to look mighty fine when finished. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, Chris! Your continued input on this one is much appreciated!
By JWils23
I had some time this weekend to grind away on this build, pun intended. The weather out here has not been entirely conducive to more body work on the trap with it being cold and a little humid so I decided to tackle the vector plate and finish cutting the last of the aluminum plates. I started with the vector plate because all the build threads I've seen people always say drilling through the vector plate and not messing it up is a tough part. Thankfully I had the printed side plates that came with the trap and the dimensions of the vector plate on that were identical to the GB fans plate I ordered. I drilled out the screw holes on the 3D printed plate and use it as a template for the 4 mounting points, along with the holes to mount the resistor. This actually went much smooter than I anticipated and my only real hiccup was drilling the top right hole. Even though I punched it, the bit walked on me ever so slightly and I didn't catch it so that one screw is a little cockeyed. One of those things that no one will probably ever notice but I will. Then I filed down to the resistor to fit and carefully countersunk the fronts of the mounting holes and wah-lah, we have a vector plate.

With the vector plate out of the way I was onto the smaller side plates and the plate for the bargraph. Once again using the 3D prints as a template I measured and cut the aluminum to match. Little hand filing to get things dialed in and cleaned up and I think they came out pretty good. The PVC coating on the aluminum is still there so ignore that hangover which makes things look wonky and not straight. But then again cutting them with a jigsaw they're obviously not laser cut precise :lol:. I think I need to do a tad more filing on the bargraph plate to get it right lengthwise but other than that I think they're ready for the next step.

Lastly, I wanted to recut my front plate for the cartridge. I was not happy with the first one I cut, I just went about cutting the notch out the wrong way and my sides ended up too narrow. I attacked this one with a better game plan for that cut, drilling out the corners so the jig saw blade could fit in and cut from there. This plate has been the most challenging to cut, because it isn't that big and it can be tough to find a good spot for the clamps when trying to cut out the notch. I probably should have used the dremel with the cutting wheel but the jigsaw was out so the jigsaw it was!
After a little filing to clean things up and dial in the perfect fit...

That's it for now, the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend and with the long weekend I'm hoping to finish off the cartridge and start filling and priming the base of the trap.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]