By thegreatgalling
THE 1984 VENKMAN LEGACY PACK

This pack has been a labor of love and I think it is at a point now where I can share it!

BACKGROUND:
This pack started as an Anovos Legacy “Spengler” Pack (which of course was actually cast from a Superhero, which is mislabeled as Spengler in the Sony Archives). Since the Superhero shells were cast for the main four packs, all the scratches pimples and bumps on the original 1984 master are evident in this cast. There IS some work to make a Superhero shell into a Venkman shell which I will detail below.

The goal here was a fresh new looking 1984 pack to match Venkman’s pack as it appeared with a fresh coat of paint in the Sedgwick.

I will eventually be upgrading with a Legacy shell produced by Arron Mack.

FEATURES:
- Shell cast from a Superhero that has been heavily modified to match the Venkman. I’ll detail these changes below.
- Vintage square fitting with softer lettering and Ohio, lettering.
- Vintage Clippard valve with unstretched Clippard lettering.
- Vintage Clippard hex fittings with wide bevel and no stamping.
- Vintage Nycoil tubing with correct lettering and placement to match the Venkman.
- Vintage Clippard tubing.
- Vintage Raytheon 3 part crank knob
- Vintage real Shock Mount/ Ion Knob
- Vintage 4mm Legris elbows
- Custom stamped vintage Ribbon clamp
- Booster frame cast from original
- Bumper cast from original
- Vintage resistors
- Motherboard rivets match locations as close as possible.
- Beam line and filler tube were custom adapted to match the Venkman.
- N-Filter welds attempt to mimic the Venkman welds.
- Danger label on the N-Filter is a two part foil and clear sticker.
- Fiberglass shell with hero metal components.
- Metal Umori wand.
- Spongeface “vintage incandescent” light kit in the powercell.

THANK YOU:
I have to thank all the experts here who have contributed the knowledge that made my pack even remotely possible. Firstly, Ray Cameron helped me find all the original Clippard tubing, chad schweitzer helped me with all the insane rivet placement on the mobo, Doug Solo, your notes on the GB2 Venkman were invaluable, Toby Canham-James who made the flashbulb in the wand possible.

Thank you Nic Farnsworth for hunting down the right LC1 frame and straps! Thank you Kevin Kemarly for your eyes and ears. Charles Fincher made the ribbon cable. Arron Mack and GB fans parts and labels filled in the rest of the important gaps. Julian Legge helped me nail the spacers and their attachment to the cross bars. And Cole Funseth helped me with the accurate location of the cyclotron bulbs. Matthew Burkit helped me with the cyclotron hole measurement.
None of this would have been possible without Mikhail Lynn’s Venkman pictures. Special thanks to Dan Harshman for the Spengler's 1984 Work Bench group.

CitizenBuster, ecto, RedSpecial and 11 others liked this
By thegreatgalling
The original shell was cast from a Superhero. The Superhero differs from the Venkman in a few notable ways.

I am going to add some photos here to explain some of the changes that need to happen to a Legacy shell to become a Venkman:

The powercell cut out on the Venkman is thinner, longer, and slightly shifted.
Distinct scratches appear on the Venkman power cell box.
The gun box needs to be filled and slightly resculped.
The holes of the cyclotron are smaller (1 1/4”) than the Superhero, so they need to be filled and redrilled.
The ribbon cable hole is smaller and in a slightly different place than the Superhero.
The ribbon clamp near the cyclotron is in a different place so the holes need to be filled.
The two Legris straights are in a different location, so those holes need to be filled and redrilled.

pmcbryde, mburkit, kind2311 liked this
By thegreatgalling
Here is a little more of a deep dive on some of the highlighted features:

One thing that was very important to me was including the distinct welds on the N-Filter that were specific to the Venkman pack:

The serial numbers on the ribbon clamp:

PPD angle:

VERY big thank you to Mike over at GBHQPartsDepot on Etsy. Mike helped me hunt down a lot of the impossible to find vintage fittings, including these straights with the wide bevel.

Stickers were a PAIN but I went to great lengths to try to match their locations:

Work on the filler tube:
Kingpin, ccv66, pmcbryde liked this
By pchrisbosh1
It's almost too good to be true....absolutely stunning. I think you've reached the pinnacle of pack making man! Great job sir...make sure to display that with two hired security guards to watch it at all times :-)
By thegreatgalling
pchrisbosh1 wrote: April 16th, 2022, 4:24 pm It's almost too good to be true....absolutely stunning. I think you've reached the pinnacle of pack making man! Great job sir...make sure to display that with two hired security guards to watch it at all times :-)
Thank you Chris! Coming from you that means the world. Your attention to details is legendary!
By thegreatgalling
NotSabbat wrote: April 18th, 2022, 12:28 pm Absolutely stunning. Well done!

Did you do something to get that texture on the shell, or was it part of the casting?
The texture is all original to the superhero pack.

Someday I may upgrade to a Mack legacy shell. In my opinion, his cast is superior to the Anovos one I used.
By JWils23
Beautiful pack! I absolutely love the attention to all the little details and nuances of the Venkman pack. Great job on the ribbon cable and getting the twist to line up with the rainbow through the ribbon clamp. It’s such a simple detail but a hard one to get, I couldn’t get it right on my pack no matter how many tries :lol:
kind2311 liked this
    The Video Game Lifegard

Chris Hunt in the Facebook Group 3D Printed Ghostb[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]