Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 28th, 2022, 5:45 am
WCat2000 wrote: April 28th, 2022, 5:35 am I don’t think they need 4 new recruits though. Mr. Grooberson should be one. I don’t know if Paul Rudd wants to return but he’s always been a popular choice and he’s established now.

Instead of picking up with a new team already in operation I think it’d be funny if Phoebe sits in on interviews and makes it hard for Winston to pick anyone because she doesn’t consider them qualified.
I've given my two cents on those around page 3 or 4 so in brief, on the fence with the former (love Paul but not sure if Gary should be a GB) and yeah, the latter could be great comedy.

viewtopic.php?p=4968350#p4968350

viewtopic.php?p=4968669#p4968669
As for Peter and Dana I assume Bill Murray is completely done with this.
Yeah, I wasn't even thinking they would be a factor. The mid tag in AL was the perfect conclusion to their arc, imo. Very full circle from Peter's first scene in GB1. But I'd be fine with Oscar or their other child being one of the new adult recruits.
So you think he’d want to continue being a seismologists. Maybe but I could see him switching if he needed another job. His character was into the GB so I think it’d be easy to write him in somehow.
Kingpin wrote: April 28th, 2022, 12:27 pm
WCat2000 wrote: April 28th, 2022, 5:35 am As for Peter and Dana I assume Bill Murray is completely done with this.
And I think we'll make our peace with the film franchise being completely done with Murray without having to worry about any sleepless nights... He's more of an inconvenience than an asset these days.
Oh definitely I was not trying to say he should return. I was never of the mindset that he needed to come back for another movie to work. Like I mentioned in a different topic he should have requested to be written out instead of holding everyone back. I’m happy that whole issue is over.

Sure he agreed to appear in the last 2 movies but he was basically obligated to do the reboot because of the backlash he would have received and I’m sure he only did Afterlife for Jason and Ivan.
Bill had a good run. He made Ghostbusters (not literally) but Afterlife was a good send off. If they do an interview bit I would love to see some of the girls from 2016 make a cameo as those being interviewed. Maybe do something like Leslie walking in with her 2016 gear and both Winston and Phoebe shouting next.

(I can already imagine the sequel speculation if that happens. Lol. )
That won't happen. There's 0 interest from the studio on pissing away all the goodwill Afterlife brought to both the fans and general movie-goers.

ATC had it's time. It's done. Time to move on.
Sav C liked this
Playing Devil's Advocate here:

Summerville school decides they're gonna offer students a field trip to NYC. When they arrive, spooky things start happening and the four kiddos trek to find Ray and Winston.

That would be one of the more likely scenarios they could do if they wanted to bring the kids back since the Ectomobile and presumably the equipment are back in New York.
Sav C liked this
deadderek wrote: April 28th, 2022, 10:56 pm That won't happen. There's 0 interest from the studio on pissing away all the goodwill Afterlife brought to both the fans and general movie-goers.

ATC had it's time. It's done. Time to move on.
It was a fun little suggestion. You don't have take it literally. We can throw in whoever we want to see in a speculative guess about a scene montage that may or may not happen. We can suggest Paul Feig show up in drag and do the Hula but we know that's not going to happen. (or is it?)
Sav C, SpaceBallz liked this
Fair enough just speculating for fun I guess but Sony is smart enough not to do that.
timeware liked this
SpaceBallz wrote:Summerville school decides they're gonna offer students a field trip to NYC. When they arrive, spooky things start happening and the four kiddos trek to find Ray and Winston.
Yeah I see it playing out something like this.^^^

Afterlife closes with a zoomed shot of the containment unit beeping whilst ominous music plays. Highly likely this is the "MacGuffin"(?) to explain ghosts existing back in NYC, at least initially before they establish a further "big bad" and presumably end the movie with ghosts & their busters being active again.
Meantime Winston started renovating the Firehouse and hiring a new team.

When the kids arrive at NY they are slightly offended about being "replaced".

The new team kind of snuff them because they're "only kids". That's were Ray and Winston jump in as sage mentors: they explained that they're not just kids, they stopped Gozer almost alone and two of them are the grandkids of founder member Egon Spengler (cue to an Egon portrait hanged in the Firehouse).

Peter is there for the grand reopening because money are good and the academic life is a little boring.
Davideverona wrote: April 29th, 2022, 2:04 am The new team kind of snuff them because they're "only kids".
"Snub".

If the new team snuffed them, it'd be an entirely different kind of movie. :shock:
I would think of Carrie Coon was up for it then Callie should be a Ghostbuster. Guess we won't know which direction they're going in until we get some more info. The real question is [and sorry if this has already been brought up], since we already heard from Hudson that they were already writing the script, how far have they gotten? Got Covid, so I'm not going anywhere if they want to give us some more news, lol. [normally I wouldn't lol after saying that, but I've been quarantined for a few days and haven't really gone out lately [got it from a visiting family member...] and while I feel pretty crappy, my fever has gone down. Mostly my annoyance is a sore throat. That and getting infected 3 months after my booster]. P.S I'm very sorry if you've lost family to covid and just uttering lol in the same sentence as that caused any offense.
Last edited by Kalonthar on April 29th, 2022, 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
timeware wrote: April 29th, 2022, 9:43 am At the expense of sounding like a broken record the guys are now bustin their hips, rather then bustin ghosts. It's time for a new team.
I actually wasn't expecting them to suit up in Afterlife, it wasn't until the leaked Murray photo (or the Hasbro pics, whichever came first) when I realized they would. Now that that's over with, just give me some scenes with them getting the firehouse up and running again, perhaps testing out some new tech. Maybe follow through with Venkman as a college professor and work that angle a bit, maybe one or two of the recruits are in his class. Would Murray do another week of filming if it didn't involve hours of standing around for tedious special effects shots, who knows? But I don't need to see them running around with packs on for it to be a Ghostbusters movie.

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet but perhaps Gil would be offered the chance to direct? His Poltergeist remake didn't do much for me, but between that and Monster House he's not a stranger to directing action/comedy/horror fare, and it would keep everything "in house" as opposed to bringing in someone new (especially someone like Edgar Wright or Waititi, who are writer/directors and would surely want to put their own spin on it). It wouldn't surprise me if him and Jason had already worked something up for this.
mrmichaelt liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: April 28th, 2022, 4:12 am
WCat2000 wrote:It does not make any sense to switch focus and recruit a whole new team when they just met Egon’s family who helped catch Gozer.
It does. Winston and Ray aren't going to do the day to day cases. Winston isn't going to hire 4 minors. He has to hire and form a new team. There's going to be new characters, I have no doubt about it and it's not going to be a bad thing. Like I said before, Afterlife had 3 generations of protagonists in the cast: the OGBs, Callie and Gary, and the children. I think it's logical that will remain in the sequel. The only ones I'm not sure will or need to return are Peter and Dana. They're upstate living their life. I get the red flag is that would mean a big main cast of 13: Ray, Winston, Janine, Callie, Gary, Phoebe, Trevor, Podcast, Lucky, and 4 new characters. I think that will be the challenge, managing that many characters and making sure some don't fall to the wayside. As for the focus, I think the focus can still be on Phoebe and co. and them acting as the audience surrogate, meeting the new team already in operation.
If they're gonna have a new team then it would be nice time to bring back Oscar.
TheManEatingToaster wrote: April 29th, 2022, 1:23 pm If they're gonna have a new team then it would be nice time to bring back Oscar.
I've no objection to seeing what Oscar's up to, so long as it serves the plot rather than be a gratuitous cameo.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 29th, 2022, 6:52 am After everything, some fans are still clamouring for a new like-for-like replacement team?
I'm not in support of a "new like-for-like replacement team," just a new team. I would object to the former because we don't need this movie to be another GB1 remake.
Kingpin wrote: April 29th, 2022, 5:32 pm I've no objection to seeing what Oscar's up to, so long as it serves the plot rather than be a gratuitous cameo.
That's another one I am conflicted about. It would be neat. We know they were considering it in the Sanctum of Slime game before they created the Alan Crendall character and of course, all the GBIII post-Hellbent rumors that he would be on the new team. But on the other hand, the idea of the Ghostbusters saving his life and him going on to live a normal life... not everyone they save has to keep their toes in the supernatural.
TheManEatingToaster wrote: April 29th, 2022, 1:23 pm If they're gonna have a new team then it would be nice time to bring back Oscar.
That's a pass from me. So too is any other familial connection.

I want to see Ghostbusters that become Ghostbusters because of their own passions, pursuits, and personas, not because they're related to an original character.
SpaceBallz, deadderek, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
Yes, please, no Oscar. Oscar is the hacky, bad sequel idea that we've thankfully thus far avoided.

I was opposed to the multiverse idea in 2016 because I thought it undermined the new characters. I still don't think it's a great idea, but it wouldn't shock me to hear that someone had at least contemplated it after the massive success of No Way Home. At this point, I would be more receptive to it just because it would be nice to see those characters again, since it looks like their time living on even in IDW Comics has also come to an end.

I still wouldn't bet on it being seriously considered, but considering the hypothetical, the first question I'd ask would be whether or not any of the four leads, especially Jones, would actually be all that excited to put themselves through the wringer again. I think it'd take a personal plea from someone like Jason, who stood up for Paul, to get them to consider it. But that's all theory.

One question maybe worth asking is if Sony returns to Channing Tatum, who had his own pitch for Ghostbusters that ended up being shelved for the reboot. Not that they would change over to his idea, but they might see if he's interested in figuring out a way to meld his interests with what's been established with Afterlife.
Last edited by tylergfoster on April 29th, 2022, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
Find it interesting that everyone likes Phoebe, but no one want's to see Oscar. Has it really been confirmed either way that Oscar is Peter's kid? Or are we just basing this off of presumption? If they go in a different direction with the character other then being an anchor for Vigo's return I can see him making a meaningful appearance. I mean shit, if they have him as being Trevor's college professor or even a dean we'd know how he got into the college.

It's the perfect set up to bring in the live action Extreme Ghostbusters. Oscar's teaching a class on paranormal studies, then the rest of the EX team strolls right in. They could make a mock text book of "How to survive possession" with Oscars face on the cover.

Oscar being featured wouldn't be the end of the world. It's more realistic then a pregnant Jessica Drew web slinging across the multiverse.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 29th, 2022, 5:53 pm
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 29th, 2022, 6:52 am After everything, some fans are still clamouring for a new like-for-like replacement team?
I'm not in support of a "new like-for-like replacement team," just a new team. I would object to the former because we don't need this movie to be another GB1 remake.
Kingpin wrote: April 29th, 2022, 5:32 pm I've no objection to seeing what Oscar's up to, so long as it serves the plot rather than be a gratuitous cameo.
That's another one I am conflicted about. It would be neat. We know they were considering it in the Sanctum of Slime game before they created the Alan Crendall character and of course, all the GBIII post-Hellbent rumors that he would be on the new team. But on the other hand, the idea of the Ghostbusters saving his life and him going on to live a normal life... not everyone they save has to keep their toes in the supernatural.
Agreed!! The Barretts have been through enough lol
timeware wrote: April 29th, 2022, 8:30 pm Has it really been confirmed either way that Oscar is Peter's kid?
They've been saying it was the Violinist from GB1.

Sigourney Weaver, on the June 14, 1989 episode of "The Arsenio Hall Show" recalled she thought the Violinist was the father, "And I've, um, actually all the characters five years later have sort of been down and out a little bit and, um, I've gotten married, I think, to the guy who used the nose spray in the first Ghostbusters and it didn't work out and so I got a divorce but I have this little baby"

Joe Medjuck and Ivan Reitman, at the 43 min. mark of the 1999 Ghostbusters DVD commentary track, both state that Oscar's father is the Violinist.
-Joe: I've always presumed this is who Sigourney married - when she has a child in the second one. The Violinist
-Ivan: Yes, yes, the Violinist.

Then in Rolling Stone in July 2016, Ivan Reitman suggested Oscar was probably Dana and Peter's son, although it's not made clear in the screenplay," I loved the sequences between Sigourney Weaver and Bill Murray and what's probably their baby, Oscar, although it's not made clear in the screenplay."

And also I guess since we're on the subject, in the same RS issue, Ivan said, "Aykroyd, Ramis, and I worked on another draft of the film with two other writers, Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky. We had a very good script that was a more traditional sequel idea. It was the passing of the torch from the original Ghostbusters to a new group led by Oscar, the little baby in the second movie."
I've always gone with Violinist. Makes the most sense.
tylergfoster, mrmichaelt, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
Yeah, I didn't realize anyone thought that Oscar was Peter's kid. It seemed pretty clear from Ghostbusters II that the baby was not Peter's. "Was his father ugly?"

As far as the idea goes, it just seems like a lazy way to tie the movies together. If we're going strictly off of Ghostbusters II, Oscar is closer to a prop than a character. I also think it's pretty natural for kids to want to forge their own paths in life, rather than follow in the footsteps of their parents.
mrmichaelt, deadderek, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Indeed, I always thought it was the Violinist. Plus, the math makes no sense for it to be Peter's. And the way Dana talks of it to Egon, their split and losing touch with each other happened earlier in the time skip. In any case, Peter probably made for an interesting stepdad to Oscar.
Depends on how you look at it:

Is Peter Venkman Oscar's biological father? Do they share 23 chromosomes full of DNA? No. GB2 made that completely clear.

Now, could Peter Venkman be the man who raises Oscar from age ~8months and on, and thus have a credible claim to be Oscar's real father in all the important ways? Yes.
Do we know anything about Oscar's upbringing? Nope. Zero. He might have even left to go live with his dad at a young age to be raised by him instead of Dana. Who knows?

Shoehorning in Oscar has been done to death in fan projects, let's explore more of the Afterlife cast instead.
deadderek wrote: April 30th, 2022, 9:22 am Do we know anything about Oscar's upbringing? Nope. Zero. He might have even left to go live with his dad at a young age to be raised by him instead of Dana. Who knows?

Shoehorning in Oscar has been done to death in fan projects, let's explore more of the Afterlife cast instead.
There's a way to do both if they go the route of including him at all. I think the next film should be more focused on the older kids this time around. Not saying they get rid of Phoebe and Podcast I like those characters, but they don't need the bulk of the movie. What they need to cover-

Winston's involvement
Ecto Restoration and use
FIre House Clean up
Possibility of new team interviews
state of Summerville after Gozer
Lucky and Trevor
the containment unit
are the kids starting college or is it just Lucky?
Are Rudd and Callie dating
Has Ray managed to sell a book?
The possibility of new equipment/ modified old equipment or building of new vehicles

The running time should be at least over two hours to cover the new stuff and close the gap on what shouldn't be left as a cliff hanger.
deadderek wrote: April 30th, 2022, 9:22 am Do we know anything about Oscar's upbringing? Nope. Zero. He might have even left to go live with his dad at a young age to be raised by him instead of Dana. Who knows?

I think CPS took him after Dana let him get kidnapped to be possessed by the ghost of a Carpathian warlock.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]