Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote: March 30th, 2022, 4:33 am All of this leaves me wondering.

You got all those Ghosts in the traps. Containment Unit looks like it's broken. What you gonna do with Gozer and it's minions? Hook them to a car battery and hope for the best?
There's the low tech option. Buy lots of cement bags and crates, seal each trap in one crate filled with cement, and toss them in various bodies of water around the continent.

On the other hand, in theory, it might be too risky to dump them all into one Containment Unit. Given enough recombination, even under the ECU's constraints against P.K.E., a god like Gozer could be able to overpower it and escape. I doubt Egon built the ECU to hold a god. Ghosts, yeah. But not a god.
WCat2000 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 12:04 am Egon using the pke meter in the chair was because he was gonna shock the terror dog with the taser.

Phoebe might have still been skeptical after the chess game or didn’t want to tell anyone about it yet.

Wal-Mart hardly having other people has been brought up a lot. I live in a small town and have been there at night. There’s hardly anyone. I can confirm this is realistic for a small town.

I explain the mini pufts is the power of Stay Puft came with the terror dog and possessed the marshmallows. Since Gozer hasn’t returned yet it’s a weaker form.

The proton packs are not to keep the terror dogs away. They’re for keeping the portal closed. The terror dogs break out of the wall and of course statues in the first.

Gozer might have always had the ability to uncross the streams. He/she was never really hit with them. She dodges them, disappears and brings Stay Puft. They crossed the streams to close the doorway.
The power of the terror dog possessed the marshmallows? Lol. I wish someone would’ve said that in the movie. It’s one part that would’ve got a legit chuckle out me. “Wait. Why are these mashmallow men here?” “I don’t know. Maybe the terror dog power possessed them. Or something”.

but seriously…that still doesn’t explain anything tho. Why would the power of the terror dog possess marshmallows? Out of all the things that could happen to, it just so happens to have been something the audience is familiar with from the first movie? The lack of imagination is astounding.

There’s no explaining the mini pufts. They could have done so EASILY. Egon kept some of the marshmallow goo left over from the first movie and as soon as the portal opens again….it brings the destructor back to life in mini Puft form.
The mini pufts are this movies problems in a nutshell. They make no sense in the context of the movie and is just there as a reference.
RichardLess wrote: March 30th, 2022, 6:48 am There’s no explaining the mini pufts. They could have done so EASILY. Egon kept some of the marshmallow goo left over from the first movie and as soon as the portal opens again….it brings the destructor back to life in mini Puft form.
The mini pufts are this movies problems in a nutshell. They make no sense in the context of the movie and is just there as a reference.
I personally concluded it was stray P.K.E. making it past the Proton Cannons like that wisp that shot out of the mine shaft when the teens went to hang out. The energy had to go somewhere and it animated the marshmallows based on the designs on the bags.
mrmichaelt wrote: March 30th, 2022, 6:41 am
Alphagaia wrote: March 30th, 2022, 4:33 am All of this leaves me wondering.

You got all those Ghosts in the traps. Containment Unit looks like it's broken. What you gonna do with Gozer and it's minions? Hook them to a car battery and hope for the best?
There's the low tech option. Buy lots of cement bags and crates, seal each trap in one crate filled with cement, and toss them in various bodies of water around the continent.

On the other hand, in theory, it might be too risky to dump them all into one Containment Unit. Given enough recombination, even under the ECU's constraints against P.K.E., a god like Gozer could be able to overpower it and escape. I doubt Egon built the ECU to hold a god. Ghosts, yeah. But not a god.
I also doubt they built *traps* to hold a god. I don’t care if there’s a bazillion of them. Gods or Demi gods should be trap proof.

Imagine how much cooler the ending would’ve been had we kept on expecting Gozer to come out but instead some different deity comes out?

God forbid this movie do something surprising. Even if they do Gozer, the fact they didn’t do the best set up for some creativity just baffles me. “Choose the form of the destructor” just imagine the possibilities, especially with
Phoebe being so droll.
mrmichaelt wrote: March 30th, 2022, 6:56 am
RichardLess wrote: March 30th, 2022, 6:48 am There’s no explaining the mini pufts. They could have done so EASILY. Egon kept some of the marshmallow goo left over from the first movie and as soon as the portal opens again….it brings the destructor back to life in mini Puft form.
I personally concluded it was stray P.K.E. making it past the Proton Cannons like that wisp that shot out of the mine shaft when the teens went to hang out. The energy had to go somewhere and it animated the marshmallows based on the designs on the bags.
Wasn’t that Muncher?
Stray PKE for the Mini Pufts works too.

Pretty much how I was thinking. That Stay Puft’s energy came with the terror dog because it’s part of Gozer. As an extra minion. Not that the dog possessed the marshmallows. Ray even tells Podcast he defeated a manifestation of Gozer.
RichardLess wrote: March 30th, 2022, 7:03 am Wasn’t that Muncher?
Perhaps.

I thought animated by the P.K.E. in proximity because when I saw that Mini-Puft reveal clip back then, it reminded of how in Ghostbusters II, they tried to show manifestations weren't just ghosts, objects get affected as well as in the case with the Orrefors merchandise floating in mid-air. But I also think Muncher was always a local ghost in Summerville, it didn't originate from the pit. I was probably just a Class 2 echo but again, the energy buildups helped it fully manifest into a Class 5 and it started feasting away in the foundry. Canon in question, but one of Brynn Metheney's concepts lists it was the product of a botched seance in the 1940s in the foundry office.

I'm still undecided on the demonic voice in the shaft and the pit. I think that's supposed to be Gozer? Or is it just one of the souls?
WCat2000 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 4:27 pm There’s the 3 that react to them showing up through the window. I assume he noticed them since they’re standing right there.
Still a sin imo, since we don't see him looking/reacting at the Pufts, instead keeping his gaze upon Gozer and he immediately starts his rant that Gozer should leave this plane of existence.
mrmichaelt wrote: March 30th, 2022, 5:50 pm
RichardLess wrote: March 30th, 2022, 7:03 am Wasn’t that Muncher?
I'm still undecided on the demonic voice in the shaft and the pit. I think that's supposed to be Gozer? Or is it just one of the souls?
The first time it's the demon dog in the fog that escapes the shaft, the second time it's more vague. It reminds of GBII where Winston gets called out in the Subway, but the big ghost formation suggests it's Gozer doing it.

Also Muncher was haunting the factory where they processed the weird selenium steel, so that must be why the PKE was building there so a ghost could pop up.
Alphagaia wrote:The first time it's the demon dog in the fog that escapes the shaft, the second time it's more vague. It reminds of GBII where Winston gets called out in the Subway, but the big ghost formation suggests it's Gozer doing it.
Hmm, so you think it was Zuul. Or could have just been a disembodied voice amid the pit of souls both times.
mrmichaelt wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:45 pm
Alphagaia wrote:The first time it's the demon dog in the fog that escapes the shaft, the second time it's more vague. It reminds of GBII where Winston gets called out in the Subway, but the big ghost formation suggests it's Gozer doing it.
Hmm, so you think it was Zuul. Or could have just been a disembodied voice amid the pit of souls both times.
Yeah, you can see the head of a demon dog emerging from the smoke, right after.

Feels like the same voice when Zuul growls it's name in Dana's fridge.
Alphagaia wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:33 pm
WCat2000 wrote: March 30th, 2022, 4:27 pm There’s the 3 that react to them showing up through the window. I assume he noticed them since they’re standing right there.
Still a sin imo, since we don't see him looking/reacting at the Pufts, instead keeping his gaze upon Gozer and he immediately starts his rant that Gozer should leave this plane of existence.
Well Ray’s next to the open gunner seat when Gozer throws them against the car and the 3 at the window stay to watch the fight because they’re shown again when everything is getting pulled into the traps. I have to think he noticed them.
You know what? I was able to analyze Afterlife with a clearer mind, after a few months from the viewing.

I still love the movie, but to me it wasn't a step forward. I mean, it WAS. It told us what happened in the last 30 years in that universe.

And in a way, it wasn't. It's like.... Do you remember that part in the first Ninja Turtles movie, when they take some time to refocus as a group and let Raphael heal, then they go back in NY stronger than before?

THAT'S what Afterlife is for me. A movie where the franchise have some space for himself to breath, to adjust after the last not-so-good years. Now it has re-established itself and it's ready to come back to the place where it belongs.

New York. I'd like to see Ecto-1 tearing up its streets once again.
Sav C, deadderek, Kingpin liked this
Okay, REALLY glad they didn't go with Robo-Buddy RTV, but this DOES sort of confirm the theory that the ecto goggles double as camera goggles for the RTV.

While I liked final movie Muncher, I really hope we get to see this proto-Muncher re-used somewhere else in the franchise.

The urge to make that concept PKE is STRONG...
mrmichaelt wrote: April 6th, 2022, 8:31 pm Muncher, P.K.E. Meter, Ecto Goggles, and RTV concepts by Christian Pearce.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/b58bOv
I'm a little disappointed they didn't go for that shredder setup for Muncher's face... It looks so much meaner, and less Slimer-like than the final design.
zeta otaku, mrmichaelt, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
Davideverona wrote: April 1st, 2022, 12:45 am You know what? I was able to analyze Afterlife with a clearer mind, after a few months from the viewing.

I still love the movie, but to me it wasn't a step forward. I mean, it WAS. It told us what happened in the last 30 years in that universe.

And in a way, it wasn't. It's like.... Do you remember that part in the first Ninja Turtles movie, when they take some time to refocus as a group and let Raphael heal, then they go back in NY stronger than before?

THAT'S what Afterlife is for me. A movie where the franchise have some space for himself to breath, to adjust after the last not-so-good years. Now it has re-established itself and it's ready to come back to the place where it belongs.

New York. I'd like to see Ecto-1 tearing up its streets once again.
Same. I'd like a Ghostbusters movie that doesn't spend half of the run time doing the underdog/getting started schtick.

Most people know what a Ghostbuster is and how the business works. Just drop us into the business working and show us crews going on calls while working up to the big bad of a film. Structure a film like an extended RGB episode and it can't lose.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
groschopf wrote: April 8th, 2022, 9:25 pm Most people know what a Ghostbuster is and how the business works. Just drop us into the business working and show us crews going on calls while working up to the big bad of a film. Structure a film like an extended RGB episode and it can't lose.
Aykroyd pretty much that idea in GBIII Hellbent. From those excerpts Chris Stewart posted what feels like eons ago, didn't it start with the new team on the road to a bust?

Would be pretty rad if it starts out seemingly following the structure of the cold opens in past GB movies with a civilian having an encounter but then subverts expectations and instead of someone being scared to death, the Ghostbusters kick open the door and bust the ghost then the fade to black/the title card. I think another thing the movies gotta stop doing is bogging the pace down with conflicts with law enforcement. Hope it's more like with IDW stuff, and their presence is normalized and the police are on the side of the GBs.
it might just be me but I always liked the GB's sticking their fingers in the eyes of authority but keeping people like the mayor at an arms length. I still would like to see the return of Walter Peck, or at least someone like him. I would agree that I'd like to see a positive relationship between the GB, Military, and Police. Maybe Phoebe's managed to nab some Government contract's between Afterlife and the next film.
mrmichaelt liked this
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]