Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
timeware wrote:Whoever takes the position, and I don't want to sound insesitive by talking about replacements this soon...Is someone who's going to be respectful of this franchise.

I'd rather see familiar faces rather then having someone like Kevin Smith or Seth Rogen be put in charge. Chip and Dale kind of looks like it's going to be a hit or miss.

Huge Jay and Silent Bob fan but lately Kevin's been dropping some major bomb's faster then he consumes a Mooby taco burger. Eric's due for a promotion isn't he?
Given how badly he screwed up MOTU Revelations, I would hope that the powers that be at Sony keep Kevin Smith as far away from Ghostbusters as possible. Jason seems like the natural successor to take this over. He's a fan. He worked closely with his father on Afterlife, so he should have a good sense of "What would my father think about this?" And he has a good working relationship with Dan to help with lore and technobabble. Another person that could probably run Ghost Corp is JMS. I know he's mainly a writer, but I just feel like JMS understands the Ghostbusters IP overall.
Jason has to take over.

People who should be in the "cabinet"

Eric R
Erik B
Dan A
Ernie H
Gil K
Annie P

I like the idea of JMS, but I dunno if he'd be interested.
& Honestly, get some ATC representation in there - agree or disagree on that I don't care more representation is good representation.
Yeah I see this franchise in safe hands with Jason and Gil.
Dan is on hand to give his creative input. Eric R has been great with the fan community.
Ernie and Annie I don't think have a say outside of their own character choices.

Whether they get Erik or JMS involved... I don't see it but maybe for a tv series?
I think they're more likely to do an Afterlife 2, but also let Lord & Miller or another team have a go with a spin-off.

I hope we see more but if there are any production hitches we're unaware of, they might decide Afterlife is a good place to end the franchise for a time following Ivan's passing. I hope with the game lined up and the mostly warm reception to Afterlife we get a 40th anniversary sequel but I imagine everything has been thrown up in the air.
deadderek liked this
Alphagaia wrote: February 15th, 2022, 10:39 pm Dan Will be in charge?

O my god. We are doomed.
If Neil Breen directs from Dan's scripts then I'm down with a case of beer.
BatDan liked this
Dr.D wrote: February 17th, 2022, 9:37 pm Pretty sure JMS has mentioned he would return to write for GB in some capacity.
I think that was said before he started working on his Babylon-5 reboot for CW. He may be a tad too busy now.

But on a semi-related thought, I know the talk is on the next movie but I'm curious what the status of the animated movie is or if they're keeping Ecto Force shelved/unshelving it/developing other animated series ideas.
philmorgan81 liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: February 18th, 2022, 12:58 am
Dr.D wrote: February 17th, 2022, 9:37 pm Pretty sure JMS has mentioned he would return to write for GB in some capacity.
I think that was said before he started working on his Babylon-5 reboot for CW. He may be a tad too busy now.

But on a semi-related thought, I know the talk is on the next movie but I'm curious what the status of the animated movie is or if they're keeping Ecto Force shelved/unshelving it/developing other animated series ideas.

Oh I am just as curious about that as you are. I am really hoping that they plan on unshelving both those projects. I know I have said this before, but Afterlife left me so satisfied that if we never get another live action movie I would be content. Of course that doesn't mean that I don't want to see more projects. I mean I think it is safe to say that Afterlife has done well enough to validate the development of more material.

News may be a bit slow after Ivan Reitman's passing, but I am still hoping to see more. I mean I didn't expect another next gen video game, but apparently one is being worked on and Ernie Hudson is actively involved. I think he had made a statement that he had seen the character models for approval and he said the models looked great except his character keeps looking like Eddie Murphy. I guess that means that the game will focus on the OG characters, weather or not they are playable or you are working along side them like the previous game remains to be seen.

I really think that Afterlife will serve as a great jumping off point to get all these projects on the fast track of production. At least that is my hope. :):):)
mrmichaelt liked this
Amazon's getting a lot of heat for changing Tolkeins concept of Lord of The Rings. Given they spent a billion for it's production the quality looks no better then a scy-fy movie. I wan't them no where near Ghostbusters. If not for CGI their costumes so far wouldn't look much better then Dragonfyre or Knights of Badassdom. Yes, those are real movies.

(Eragon looks better then the amazon trailer for crying out loud.)
To be more precise, I did not mean amazon prime but streaming in general. If we can get a "Blade Runner 2099", I'd love to get a GB sequel TV/streaming series.

On a side note, I'm rather sceptic regarding comments judging production values of a whole series by a one-minute teaser trailer.
deadderek liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: February 18th, 2022, 10:07 am Amazon also produced Mrs Maisel which is an incredible, lavish production and one of the best shows of the past decade.

They're distribution, not one singular production outfit. Ghostbusters could quite easily be produced and overseen by Ghost Corp and be co-funded and stream via Amazon.
God, I LOVE MRS MAISEL! And I'm waiting on the second season of Upload.
While I expect Jason to be involved to some extent out of respect for his father, I still really don't see him taking on a major supervisory role at Ghost Corps simply because the guy has had a career doing other kinds of movies, and I expect he still has ideas for those other kinds of movies. If he makes an Afterlife sequel, I expect he'll be a big part of that, either as writer/director, producer, or both, but I just don't see him running the label. Let's not forget that it took a specific idea for him to warm to the idea of making the movie in the first place, so for him to suddenly shift to being steward of the franchise seems unlikely to me.

I doubt whoever takes the role will be a Jason Reitman or Seth Rogen-type at all. Eric Reich certainly seems like a possibility. I also mentioned Medjuck, who obviously has his own lengthy history with the franchise.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: February 19th, 2022, 11:13 pm Brynn Metheney posted more Sentinel concepts (though most are in the art book). Notably, an early Terror Minotaur concept (before she coined the term "Sentinel") and at one point, it was Zuul who was released from the Trap.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CaF8wJrOiab/
Maybe that'll put to rest the "Egon zapped himself to death because he didn't wanna get possessed" theories.
Do you know who I think isn't coming back for another feature?
Celeste O'Connor. I don't see her as involved with the franchise.
Kim and McKenna are always game to post something Ghostbusters related on their social media pages, Carrie and Finn a little less but still....

Celeste has put on something during the movie release window but now absolutely zero.
Davideverona wrote:Do you know who I think isn't coming back for another feature?
Kim and McKenna are always game to post something Ghostbusters related on their social media pages, Carrie and Finn a little less but still....

Celeste has put on something during the movie release window but now absolutely zero.
On one hand, social media is not always an accurate assessment of reality.

On the other hand, I wonder if Lucky suffered the same creative fate in GB:AL as Winston did in GB1. A big role at first that got trimmed down in the final shooting script. If true, could you blame O'Connor? I guess we'll see the truth of how big Lucky's role originally was in 40 years when the assembly cut is released.
SpaceBallz wrote: February 20th, 2022, 1:35 pm Maybe that'll put to rest the "Egon zapped himself to death because he didn't wanna get possessed" theories.
That's... an optimistic outlook.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: February 21st, 2022, 3:26 am It's a shame if so because Celeste O'Connor absolutely elevated the comedic material she was handed. If she'd been given more to do I think she'd be considered a standout cast member.
I'm curious because if there were more Lucky scenes, they did a good job of deleting any hint of them. I would guess there's more of her and the other teens. It was a pity she vanished between the mine shaft and the jail scene essentially. Wish she could have been part of the Muncher chase, too. Or not really awkward, but there is kind of a narrative jump of her witnessing the Callie and Gary's arrival and Phoebe's outburst then he next appearance is her meeting with them in Spinners. Feels like before these two points she had more scenes.

The cast credits are another head scratcher. The character Thick Neck, I'd have to look if he's in the classroom scenes at all. I know he was in Trailer 2 in the deleted shot when the boy shoots Doritos at Phoebe. But why does he have a credit when the red headed boy doesn't. No clue who "Burner Girl" is. "Crystal" seems to be one of the Spinners waitresses because a Google search of the actress points her to being owner of the LA Roller Girls company -- Danielle Kennedy did mention in an interview there's was a lot of scene with professionals at Spinners doing roller blade tricks that got cut out. Idk, so all 3 might be deleted scene characters only.
Davideverona wrote:Do you know who I think isn't coming back for another feature?

I know someone that tried out and was cast as an extra for Ghostbusters Afterlife, and the scene was ultimately cut. Accoring to this person, Celeste came out as "non-binary" while filming this movie, and this created some tension on set. People would refer to Celeste as "she/her" instead of "they/them" and Celeste would get really agitated. I don't know if that's why Celeste's social media doesn't mention much about Ghostbusters, but it's plausible.
JonXCTrack wrote: February 21st, 2022, 8:50 am

I know someone that tried out and was cast as an extra for Ghostbusters Afterlife, and the scene was ultimately cut. Accoring to this person, Celeste came out as "non-binary" while filming this movie, and this created some tension on set. People would refer to Celeste as "she/her" instead of "they/them" and Celeste would get really agitated. I don't know if that's why Celeste's social media doesn't mention much about Ghostbusters, but it's plausible.
I'm a little lost on genre terms. What's "non-binary"?

It shows from interviews too: she gave very standard answers without showing much enthusiasm while McKenna was shooting proton streams from her ears.
deadderek liked this
Lucky disappeared only to appear suddenly at the house, in full gear. She took the police wagon to get there, but I don't see it parked near the house. Was she trying to fetch the OGB? Doesn't seem there is enough time for that, unless they were already around.

The omission of Janine might hint Lucky was trying to get ahold of her or trying to communicate with Egon in the house?
deadderek liked this
Alphagaia wrote: February 21st, 2022, 10:15 am Lucky disappeared only to appear suddenly at the house, in full gear. She took the police wagon to get there, but I don't see it parked near the house. Was she trying to fetch the OGB? Doesn't seem there is enough time for that, unless they were already around.

The omission of Janine might hint Lucky was trying to get ahold of her or trying to communicate with Egon in the house?
As much as I love Afterlife, it does not hold up to much scrutiny.
Did Lucky really know about Egon's ghost though?

Granted iv'e only seen Afterlife once and I need a refresher. I thought Phoebe and Cally were the only ones he interacted with unless Egon was messing with the Ecto One? Finn may have not had really any meaningful encounters with Egon besides Phoebe saying something. Callie may have been aware but was to angry with Egon to want to admit something was going on in the house.

Finn's surprise at seeing Muncher is kind of telling that Egon didn't reach out to him. I don't think Lucky was aware of Egon's ghost.
Davideverona wrote: February 21st, 2022, 9:34 am I'm a little lost on genre terms. What's "non-binary"?
Here's some information for those who wish to learn about people who identify as non-binary:

LGBT Foundation: Non-Binary Inclusion
Understanding Non-Binary People: How to Be Respectful and Supportive
Ecto24601 wrote: February 21st, 2022, 9:22 am Any news on the Blitzway Afterlife Ecto-1?
Nothing beyond the initial announcement so far. We'll probably see something soon.
Alphagaia wrote: February 21st, 2022, 10:15 am Lucky disappeared only to appear suddenly at the house, in full gear. She took the police wagon to get there, but I don't see it parked near the house.
It was parked behind the house. Or in the barn. :wink:

As for Lucky trying to communicate with Egon - there's nothing on-screen that suggests she was aware of Egon's ghost.
Sav C liked this
timeware wrote: February 21st, 2022, 10:47 am Did Lucky really know about Egon's ghost though?

Granted iv'e only seen Afterlife once and I need a refresher. I thought Phoebe and Cally were the only ones he interacted with unless Egon was messing with the Ecto One? Finn may have not had really any meaningful encounters with Egon besides Phoebe saying something. Callie may have been aware but was to angry with Egon to want to admit something was going on in the house.

Finn's surprise at seeing Muncher is kind of telling that Egon didn't reach out to him. I don't think Lucky was aware of Egon's ghost.
In the finale they all saw Egon's ghost. In fact, Lucky says "go" to Trevor, encouraging him to say goodbye to his grandpa. During the movie I don't think she's aware of him being on our plane of existence.

Based on the characters involvement and the actor emotional hook on the movie, I'd say that for the next movie we'll see Phoebe and Podcast for sure, with Gary and Callie having the same screentime but on the good side and not as the villain paws.
I'm thorn on Trevor: he enjoyed riding the Ecto but didn't seems to geek over the Ghostbusters equipment as the other two.
Lucky be written off as a summer love who didn't go too well.
Kingpin liked this
The April 2022 issue of EMPIRE has an easter egg breakdown.
https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/ivan-rei ... -afterlife
https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/empire-april-2022

It's on page 57. It's a list of 10. Only new stuff was the confirmation Ivan did an insert of Peter's hand holding the thrower because Murray already wrapped and went home and the purple ESP shirt for Phoebe was Danny Glicker's idea.
timeware wrote: February 21st, 2022, 10:47 am Granted iv'e only seen Afterlife once and I need a refresher. I thought Phoebe and Cally were the only ones he interacted with unless Egon was messing with the Ecto One? Finn may have not had really any meaningful encounters with Egon besides Phoebe saying something. Callie may have been aware but was to angry with Egon to want to admit something was going on in the house.
Egon's ghost helped him get Ecto-1 started in that close up shot of the wire being manipulated and completed then Egon slammed the hood down. But Trevor was totally unaware of any aid. Very easy to write it off as just the wind or the hood falling on its own (I've been the victim of the latter once or twice with older cars before I start propping it up).
Proton Props UK

A handful? Really? Good luck with your wait, I ho[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]