Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
jonogunn wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:08 pm So there’s no commentary track?
There doesn't appear to be one for Afterlife, no.
jonogunn wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:08 pm Will the digital version on Jan 4 include bonus features?
I've never purchased a film digitally, but I would've thought it'd just be the film... No bonus features.

Will the digital version on Jan 4 include bonus features?

Sorry I did try to Google my own findings but I didn’t come to anything I felt conclusive
Don't count on it. They will be going to milk this puppy dry and we will end up with owning the movie 4 times to get the real 'ultimate' edition.
Sav C liked this
So it seems like the wealth of original GB I & II material - which is legit awesome and I’m thrilled we’re getting it - is offsetting a lack of Afterlife material in the initial home release.

On the other hand - a lack of deleted scenes does leave the door open for an extended cut down the line. I just hope we don’t have to wait 10-20 years for a full Afterlife commentary and cut material blowout.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:27 am
There doesn't appear to be one for Afterlife, no.
jonogunn wrote: December 28th, 2021, 7:08 pm Will the digital version on Jan 4 include bonus features?
I've never purchased a film digitally, but I would've thought it'd just be the film... No bonus features.
From my experience it seems to depend on where you are buying it from.

I bought infinity war from Google but turns out it had no commentary or bonus stuff and that’s what I wanted most so I got a refund and purchased from iTunes instead.

Anyone else here only seen the movie once?
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 29th, 2021, 6:29 am So it seems like the wealth of original GB I & II material - which is legit awesome and I’m thrilled we’re getting it - is offsetting a lack of Afterlife material in the initial home release.
I just hope we don’t have to wait 10-20 years for a full Afterlife commentary and cut material blowout.
What's extra frustrating is that, this isn't like with 1 & 2 where they recovered more and more material over the years - Afterlife is brand new, nothing is missing or lost to time, and they had plenty of time over the past year to plan the features for the home release. So I can't see it as anything other than a deliberate attempt to milk the fans.

If there is to be a commentary track eventually, I hope Jason already recorded it. The best (or at least the most insightful) commentaries are the ones recorded when everything is still fresh in the directors' mind.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
jonogunn wrote: December 29th, 2021, 6:38 am Anyone else here only seen the movie once?
I had to see Afterlife twice. The first viewing was difficult because of the amount of time and spoilers I had to build up what the film would be in my head. The second viewing is when I actually saw the film on it's own terms, and that was a much better experience.
jonogunn liked this
Kingpin wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:27 amI've never purchased a film digitally, but I would've thought it'd just be the film... No bonus features.
These days, most do include the bonus features (the era in which studios were trying to charge differently for digital copies with extras and without was very brief), but there's still the question of whether your digital platform of choice supports bonus features. Sony is a participant in the Movies Anywhere digital locker system, so if you use something like VUDU or Apple, make sure to set up a free MA account and link your services to it. I imagine MA will have the bonus features.
mrmichaelt liked this
tylergfoster wrote: December 29th, 2021, 9:38 pm
Kingpin wrote: December 29th, 2021, 3:27 amI've never purchased a film digitally, but I would've thought it'd just be the film... No bonus features.
These days, most do include the bonus features (the era in which studios were trying to charge differently for digital copies with extras and without was very brief), but there's still the question of whether your digital platform of choice supports bonus features. Sony is a participant in the Movies Anywhere digital locker system, so if you use something like VUDU or Apple, make sure to set up a free MA account and link your services to it. I imagine MA will have the bonus features.
Which gets even more complicated when you consider movies anywhere is available in America only. Oh how I wish movies anywhere would come to Canada.

One of the causalities of streaming is the decline of the Bonus Feature industry. I’ve always been a bonus feature nut and it’s shame to see.

Commentaries use to be fairly standard and now it seems they are getting rarer and rarer. I was really hoping we’d get a big documentary on the “3rd” film in the regular canon. All the various iterations. But doesn’t look like it
starang11, Kingpin, deadderek and 1 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: December 30th, 2021, 1:37 am One of the causalities of streaming is the decline of the Bonus Feature industry. I’ve always been a bonus feature nut and it’s shame to see.
It never made sense to me that they would start scaling back the bonus features on physical releases - wouldn't that be more incentive to spend an extra few bucks to buy the physical copy? When I saw the Afterlife extras I even thought "maybe they're holding a lot of it for the box set to get fans to buy that" but nope.
Kingpin liked this
starang11 wrote: December 30th, 2021, 9:05 amIt never made sense to me that they would start scaling back the bonus features on physical releases - wouldn't that be more incentive to spend an extra few bucks to buy the physical copy? When I saw the Afterlife extras I even thought "maybe they're holding a lot of it for the box set to get fans to buy that" but nope.
Digital copies and physical copies are generally priced close to the same ($19.99 for the digital 4K UHD, versus $24.99 for the Blu-ray and $29.99 for the 4K UHD, if they don't drop), but I would guess the studio makes more money on the digital copies because they don't have to sink costs into making anything. Not that the physical items cost nearly as much as they charge, but I still would guess they get a slightly better chunk.
tylergfoster wrote:
starang11 wrote: December 30th, 2021, 9:05 amIt never made sense to me that they would start scaling back the bonus features on physical releases - wouldn't that be more incentive to spend an extra few bucks to buy the physical copy? When I saw the Afterlife extras I even thought "maybe they're holding a lot of it for the box set to get fans to buy that" but nope.
Digital copies and physical copies are generally priced close to the same ($19.99 for the digital 4K UHD, versus $24.99 for the Blu-ray and $29.99 for the 4K UHD, if they don't drop), but I would guess the studio makes more money on the digital copies because they don't have to sink costs into making anything. Not that the physical items cost nearly as much as they charge, but I still would guess they get a slightly better chunk.
There's not only a cost associated with the discs, but shipping the product as well.
First of, happy new year. May your hangover be short and your life be the absolute best and all that stuff.

Forgive my ignorance, but is January the 4th a global release date for the digital version? We are in lockdown here and I still want my mum to enjoy the movie, so perhaps we can watch it together on the 4th.
Kingpin, Wafflerobot liked this
(note 2 posts above moved to talkback thread)
Alphagaia wrote: January 1st, 2022, 2:46 am Forgive my ignorance, but is January the 4th a global release date for the digital version? We are in lockdown here and I still want my mum to enjoy the movie, so perhaps we can watch it together on the 4th.
It released in theaters November 17 in your country, right? If yes, there's a good chance. My cohort at the GB Wiki had a hard enough time keeping the theatrical dates by country all straight. We honestly have no data on what the international home entertainment releases will be like. Has your country's Sony Pictures social media accounts posted anything about the home release (Nederland was it?)? I have heard the digital for the UK is January 10, so maybe that extends to the rest of Europe.
Alphagaia, jonogunn liked this
It's finally (officially anyways) available to stream in the 🇺🇸. It looks fantastic. Now to wait patiently until the 4k drops. :)
zeta otaku, Kingpin liked this
Styrofoam_Guy wrote: January 1st, 2022, 12:31 am I will most likely skip this release. I have learned not to buy the first release of a movie as eventually there will be a second and third release with more and more features.
During the heyday of physical media, I would have agreed. However, that isn't really true anymore. The one thing that might prompt a truly new edition is a sequel (so, odds probably improve here), but even then, that's no guarantee the edition will actually be any different -- for example, Universal has been re-packaging the same discs for the Fast & Furious franchise for many years, and there's a new Sonic the Hedgehog edition coming out that merely adds more pack-in items like art cards and booklets.

On the Sony-specific front, Venom was a $850m global hit for them, and yet they did not produce a new edition of the 4K to promote the sequel (despite the chatter before the original film hit theaters that the movie had been cut down from an R-rating). Ghostbusters: Afterlife made significantly less at the box office. I'm definitely disappointed at the lack of commentary and the fact that the disc only has one deleted scene, but I feel pretty skeptical that we'll be getting another edition anytime soon -- especially since Sony pulled out most of the stops for this new deluxe box set.
jonogunn wrote: December 27th, 2021, 9:20 pm If afterlife has 1 deleted scene then there HASSSS to be an extended version coming right?!? Hassss to be
Well, I just looked it up, and...in the last fifteen years, Sony has double-dipped a Blu-ray for an alternate cut a whopping five times: in 2018, when they released an Unrated version of the Evil Dead remake; in 2017, when they premiered the Editor's Cut of Spider-Man 3 in the trilogy book set; in 2016, when they released the theatrical cut of The DaVinci Code on Blu-ray for the movie's 10th anniversary; in 2013, when they released a director's cut of Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day; and, technically, the November and December releases of Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby in theatrical and unrated editions, the former of which was a free disc given away with the PS3. Beyond that, you'd have to go back to the DVD era to find a title they released once, and then returned to with a different edit. There are plenty of instances throughout that period where movies premiered on home video with an alternate cut included (including the 2016 Ghostbusters), but I'm afraid the odds seem very bad that Sony is sitting on another version of the movie.
UEF liked this
Corey91 wrote: January 5th, 2022, 8:42 pm aww bummer, I really liked the no ghost logo covers.
The holdup may have been due to GB1 being recently reclassified to 12A rating, so needing new discs and packaging to be produced

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... tudes.html

Of course - the UK image could be more up to date and as it also carries US ratings, may actually be a more accurate photo of what people will receive in America also.

Still not sure why we're paying double the price for it in the UK though...
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 8th, 2022, 5:10 am Unless you're a completionist I wouldn't bother with that steelbook. Words which may come to bite me on the ass when the thing sells for $150 in a few years time.
Oh man, it's already going for £50.

Why did I cancel my preorder? Idiot.

(Sorry, should've edited previous post)

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]